Old August 2nd 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Newbie Question About GMRS Vs. FRS

I will be buying a Midland Two way radio (18 mile version)

My question is this:

The first 7 channels (1-7) which are combined GMRS/FRS...Do those transmit
at Full power or are capped at half a watt because It's FRS too?

If so, does than mean that channels 15-22are true GMRS at full power?

TIA,

Jeff

Old August 2nd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

I will be buying a Midland Two way radio (18 mile version)

My question is this:

.... and is probably most accurately answered by reading the owner's
manual.

http://www.midlandradio.com/owners_manuals.asp seems to be the URL to
use.

The first 7 channels (1-7) which are combined GMRS/FRS...Do those transmit
at Full power or are capped at half a watt because It's FRS too?

If so, does than mean that channels 15-22are true GMRS at full power?

The manual for the GXT600/635/650/656 series indicates that the power
output on channels 1-7 and 15-22 can be set to any of three levels.
Channels 8-14 are locked at the "low" level.

The manual also states that a GMRS license from the FCC is necessary
when using the radio to transmit on channels 1-7 or 15-22.

I read this all as meaning that the radio is capable of full
GMRS-level power output on all of the GMRS-authorized channels (the
shared GMRS/FRS channels 1-7 and the GMRS-only channels 15-22).

It's possible that the radio could be used legally on channels 1-7
without a GMRS license, if the power level were first manually set to
the "low" position, but I'm not certain of that.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old August 2nd 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dave Platt wrote:

I read this all as meaning that the radio is capable of full
GMRS-level power output on all of the GMRS-authorized channels (the
shared GMRS/FRS channels 1-7 and the GMRS-only channels 15-22).

It's possible that the radio could be used legally on channels 1-7
without a GMRS license, if the power level were first manually set to
the "low" position, but I'm not certain of that.

Yes, you may use channels 1-7 without a license IF you only use low
power. Since that radio has type acceptance for FRS on channels 1-7,
it is permitted for license free use provided all provisions of the
part 95B regulations are followed.

The license free FRS frequencies are only authorized 500 mW ERP.
Exceeding that, you would be operating under Part 95A rules, requiring
a GMRS license.

I always recommend getting a GMRS license though. That way, you can
use all 22 channels.

Old August 2nd 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Jeff" wrote in
news:a5mdnWJc9fAnblLZnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@velocitywest .net:

I will be buying a Midland Two way radio (18 mile version)

You will never, ever get 18 miles. The claims by Midland are very
deceptive.

They lie and say they are 5 watt radios, when in fact their power output is
only slightly over a watt. They lie and say they have full legal power,
when in fact power limits for GMRS far exceed 5 watts.

Go here.... read up the whole site, explore links and get the real story:

http://www.geocities.com/gmrspage/

Old August 2nd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:53:41 GMT, John
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in
news:a5mdnWJc9fAnblLZnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@velocitywes t.net:

I will be buying a Midland Two way radio (18 mile version)

You will never, ever get 18 miles. The claims by Midland are very
deceptive.

They lie and say they are 5 watt radios, when in fact their power output is
only slightly over a watt. They lie and say they have full legal power,
when in fact power limits for GMRS far exceed 5 watts.

Go here.... read up the whole site, explore links and get the real story:

http://www.geocities.com/gmrspage/

Never, ever is pretty strong. It would take only a few milliwatts
between two mountain tops 18 miles apart. I agree that from a
practical standpoint, that is completely unrealistic, even for a full
5-watt transceiver. I have two excellent GMRS 5-watt HT's, and I'm
lucky to get even one mile in typical terrain. Now, if I had a really
good antenna, that would be a different story.

Dick - W6CCD

Old August 3rd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dick wrote in
:

wrote:

You will never, ever get 18 miles. The claims by Midland are very
deceptive.

Never, ever is pretty strong. It would take only a few milliwatts
between two mountain tops 18 miles apart. I agree that from a
practical standpoint, that is completely unrealistic, even for a full
5-watt transceiver. I have two excellent GMRS 5-watt HT's, and I'm
lucky to get even one mile in typical terrain. Now, if I had a really
good antenna, that would be a different story.

I stand corrected. I did of course know that. I didn't want to go into
the "you have to be in outer space" type deal.
Old August 3rd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article , wrote:
Dick wrote in
:

wrote:

You will never, ever get 18 miles. The claims by Midland are very
deceptive.

Never, ever is pretty strong. It would take only a few milliwatts
between two mountain tops 18 miles apart. I agree that from a
practical standpoint, that is completely unrealistic, even for a full
5-watt transceiver. I have two excellent GMRS 5-watt HT's, and I'm
lucky to get even one mile in typical terrain. Now, if I had a really
good antenna, that would be a different story.

I stand corrected. I did of course know that. I didn't want to go into
the "you have to be in outer space" type deal.

I did not find the power level. Generally the .5 watt FRS are
advertised as 2 mile. 2 watt would be 4 miles. 4 watt would be 8 miles,
and 8 watt would be 16 miles. This just equates to signal level.
I bought a set of the lower budget units without the volume knob.
I was sorry. One feature I do not like, when it scans, it only locks onto the
channel for so long, then it continues to scan. There is no option in my unit to change this.
I have gotten 4-8 miles on my FRS, not much of a problem line of sight.
They go over a hundred miles under optimum conditions.
It would be better if the GMRS and FRS units came with longer antennas,
of course the FRS transmit power would have to be decreased in that case.

I used to measure field strengths of my old FRS radios. A lot
of variation seen.

greg
Old August 4th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Your math is off a bit.

===============================

Dunno about math. Can't even do arithmetic!

Old August 4th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article , "Brenda Ann" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
I did not find the power level. Generally the .5 watt FRS are
advertised as 2 mile. 2 watt would be 4 miles. 4 watt would be 8 miles,
and 8 watt would be 16 miles. This just equates to signal level.

Your math is off a bit.

From your starting point at 0.5W and supposing 2 miles, to double the range
to 4 miles would require 2.0W (4x the power to double the distance). To
double it again would be 8.0W for 4 miles, then on to 32.0W for 8 miles.
This is based upon free space loss only, from point to point line of sight
with no obstructions. There is a bit more loss to be computed in for
atmospheric losses at 460MHz.

Well I started off OK. Perhaps I was unintentionally trying to match the
companies claims for didtance.

greg
Old August 27th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

You probably wouldn't get that far anyway. In order to remain within
the law, most GMRS/FRS radios can't use external antennas in
order to make the 500 mW erp rule. So, if you reduced power to FRS levels
and use the built in, not removable antenna on the FRS channels. it is short
(really short) range.
Option 2 is to go and get your GMRS license. Then get a handheld
that puts out the FULL 5 watts AND has a removeable antenna. Read over the
rules as to power output (EIRP) allowed. Set up an external antenna with a
max height of I think 20 feet above an existing structure(again check rules
on this figure) Take into account antenna gain, cable loss and ACTUAL
transmitter output to figure ERP. This is considered to be a Small Base
Station according to the rules AND is fully legal to interopreate with FRS
radios. The higher external antenna is almost guaranteed to quintuple your
coverage area from base to FRS handheld.
2 base stations with directional antennas(again watching erp) would be
really reliable.

Chris
KC2BZH