Old August 13th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Kenwood quitting Ham Radio?

I heard a rumour on the air that Kenwood is quitting Ham Radio.
Can that be possible true? The TS-480 was truly excellent and
the TS-2000 really an innovation.

Would be a sad loss.

Deryck G0KOR
Old August 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Steve wrote:
That would be a shame. Their rigs have always offered
good performance and value. Wouldn't suprise me if
they did leave the market though. To say its a limited
market is an understatement.

Steve W6SSP

"deryck lant" wrote in message
I heard a rumour on the air that Kenwood is quitting Ham Radio.
Can that be possible true? The TS-480 was truly excellent and
the TS-2000 really an innovation.

Would be a sad loss.

Deryck G0KOR

Well, ARRL is pushing ICOM, as Icom is "sponsoring" stuff for them. Looks like
old fashioned kickbacks to me, but it seems unfair to the competition.
Old August 13th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"John L. Sielke" wrote in message
. ..
Steve wrote:
That would be a shame. Their rigs have always offered
good performance and value. Wouldn't suprise me if
they did leave the market though. To say its a limited
market is an understatement.

Steve W6SSP

"deryck lant" wrote in message
I heard a rumour on the air that Kenwood is quitting Ham Radio.
Can that be possible true? The TS-480 was truly excellent and
the TS-2000 really an innovation.

Would be a sad loss.

Deryck G0KOR

Well, ARRL is pushing ICOM, as Icom is "sponsoring" stuff for them. Looks
like old fashioned kickbacks to me, but it seems unfair to the
competition.

I owned an ICOM......once.

IMHO, Kenwood makes the best HF rigs, and Yaesu makes the best V/Uhf stuff.
but then I have only been licensed since 1984, so what do I know.

-n6ojn

Old August 13th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:39:10 -0500, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

Well, ARRL is pushing ICOM, as Icom is "sponsoring" stuff for them. Looks
like old fashioned kickbacks to me, but it seems unfair to the
competition.

I owned an ICOM......once.

IMHO, Kenwood makes the best HF rigs, and Yaesu makes the best V/Uhf stuff.
but then I have only been licensed since 1984, so what do I know.

-n6ojn

I have always been an Icom person, but there are some things Kenwood
has that Icom doesn't have anything close to. In particular, the
TM-D700A, the TH-D7AG and the TH-F6A. I have all three.

I don't think Kenwood has anything close to the Icom-7800 for HF. Of
course for $15,000 one would expect a lot.

I have been licensed since 1951, so you're probably right. :-)

Dick - W6CCD
Old August 14th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

Well, ARRL is pushing ICOM, as Icom is "sponsoring" stuff for them. Looks
like old fashioned kickbacks to me, but it seems unfair to the
competition.

I owned an ICOM......once.

IMHO, Kenwood makes the best HF rigs, and Yaesu makes the best V/Uhf stuff.
but then I have only been licensed since 1984, so what do I know.

-n6ojn

I have always been an Icom person, but there are some things Kenwood
has that Icom doesn't have anything close to. In particular, the
TM-D700A, the TH-D7AG and the TH-F6A. I have all three.

I don't think Kenwood has anything close to the Icom-7800 for HF. Of
course for $15,000 one would expect a lot.

I have been licensed since 1951, so you're probably right. :-)

Dick - W6CCD

Ten Tec is coming out with a new HF/6 mtrs rig, so the market isn't
completely dead. It'll be called the Omni VII.

bob
k5qwg

Old August 14th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ten Tec is coming out with a new HF/6 mtrs rig, so the market isn't
completely dead. It'll be called the Omni VII.

bob
k5qwg

The big differance is that Kenwood produces other electronic items, but Ten
Tec's only produce ham related items as far as I know. TT has to keep doing
somethig to sell the rigs or go out of business all together.

Old August 14th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The message
from "A.E. 352" contains these words:

Actually, Kenwood is coming out with new 'D-Star' gear in the very near
future.

"deryck lant" wrote in message
I heard a rumour on the air that Kenwood is quitting Ham Radio.
Can that be possible true? The TS-480 was truly excellent and
the TS-2000 really an innovation.

Would be a sad loss.

Thats fantastic news! Please tell us more about D-Star gear.

Deryck G0KOR
Old August 14th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

Thats fantastic news! Please tell us more about D-Star gear.

Deryck G0KOR

Do a Google Search on Kenwood D-Star. I found several pictures...

here's one:

http://jh3ykv.rgr.jp/mt/Picture/IMG_0359.JPG

Ed K7AAT