Old October 12th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

Default Installation in a Ford E450

I have a motorhome on a Ford E450 chassis. I wish to install a mobile
radio in the cab area, and run the DC wiring through the firewall, to the
battery. Preferable, the wiring will go through on the driver's side....
it does seem a lot less congested there.

My question: has anyone done installations on such a vehicle? Can you
suggest a good location to run a pair of #14 wires through the firewall?
ANy ready made access or do I need to drill?

Ed K7AAT

Old October 12th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 12 Oct 2006 03:30:27 GMT, Ed
wrote:

I have a motorhome on a Ford E450 chassis. I wish to install a mobile
radio in the cab area, and run the DC wiring through the firewall, to the
battery. Preferable, the wiring will go through on the driver's side....
it does seem a lot less congested there.

My question: has anyone done installations on such a vehicle? Can you
suggest a good location to run a pair of #14 wires through the firewall?
ANy ready made access or do I need to drill?

Ed K7AAT

When I need to get through the Firewall on a vehical I usually go
through the rubber collar around the steering column.
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old October 12th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

When I need to get through the Firewall on a vehical I usually go
through the rubber collar around the steering column.
John Ferrell W8CCW

Yes, have done that too.... but this vehicle has no rubber collar around
steering mechanism or even the wiring harness pass through. Thanks for
input, though.

Ed
Old October 13th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 12 Oct 2006 18:07:29 GMT, Ed
wrote:

When I need to get through the Firewall on a vehical I usually go
through the rubber collar around the steering column.
John Ferrell W8CCW

Yes, have done that too.... but this vehicle has no rubber collar around
steering mechanism or even the wiring harness pass through. Thanks for
input, though.

Ed

In my 1999 Winnie (it may be an F-350) the cigarette lighter and the
Diagnostic plug are alone on a 20 amp fuse. You might want to just
pick up that circuit if you are under 20 amps.
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old October 13th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

In my 1999 Winnie (it may be an F-350) the cigarette lighter and the
Diagnostic plug are alone on a 20 amp fuse. You might want to just
pick up that circuit if you are under 20 amps.
John Ferrell W8CCW

My E450 ( not F ) has an additional cig lighter type socket a few
inches above the cig lighter socket on the dash. I would much prefer to
wire directly to the battery, but will consider your suggestion if I can
not find a decent way to route wire to the engine compartment. Thanks.

Ed

Old October 13th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ed wrote:
In my 1999 Winnie (it may be an F-350) the cigarette lighter and the
Diagnostic plug are alone on a 20 amp fuse. You might want to just
pick up that circuit if you are under 20 amps.
John Ferrell W8CCW

My E450 ( not F ) has an additional cig lighter type socket a few
inches above the cig lighter socket on the dash. I would much prefer to
wire directly to the battery, but will consider your suggestion if I can
not find a decent way to route wire to the engine compartment. Thanks.

Ed

There is usually enough room alongside where the wiring harness passes through
the firewall, also alongside where the heater/air goes through. On some Ford
trucks there was a rubber plug in the floor behind the drivers seat. Also if you
have an on-the-floor shifter, that's also a good spot to pass a pair of wires.
If you have to drill, do it if possible on the side kick panels, then route the
wires into the engine compartment from the wheel wells...

Bob N9LVU
Old October 13th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

There is usually enough room alongside where the wiring harness passes
through the firewall, also alongside where the heater/air goes
through. On some Ford trucks there was a rubber plug in the floor
behind the drivers seat. Also if you have an on-the-floor shifter,
that's also a good spot to pass a pair of wires. If you have to drill,
do it if possible on the side kick panels, then route the wires into
the engine compartment from the wheel wells...

Bob N9LVU

Bob, some of that info above may be applicable to my vehicle. I'll
have to get out there and dig around some more to see what the best of
those options may be. Thanks.

Ed