Old December 18th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default A Portable Generator

I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu *
Old December 18th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

David Snyder Hale wrote:
I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu *

well 2 cycle stuff is often ok but a pain to be around when it is
running in household with a few cheapinverters and marine batteries it
serve very economicaly in an emergency

Old December 18th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:31:02 +0000 (UTC), David Snyder Hale
wrote:

I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

Dunno... cheaper one he

http://www.duropower.com/
Old December 18th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
David Snyder Hale wrote:

I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

David-

When you have a home power failure, you will need more than a 1 KW
generator. Your refrigerator may use less than that when running, but
its compressor's startup power requirement is probably well over 2 KW.
The little generator might be nice to have camping, but not for
emergency home power.

This little generator would be useful for running something like a chain
saw or some lights, but not electronic equipment. The power might
appear to be adequate to run a couple of rigs at Field Day, but the
regulation/power spikes could damage your equipment.

I saw a comparable small generator at a Big Lots store for $150. At
first I was quite tempted. I researched the Big Lots "Pro Source"
generators, and only came up with the fact they were sold at Big Lots.
Big Lots does not have any service parts, so where are you going to get
a new air filter when the time comes? (You may be lucky and find
another brand's filter that can be cut to size with a pair of scissors.)

Perhaps it would serve as a toy to play with and then discard.

Fred
K4DII
Old December 19th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

David Snyder Hale wrote:
I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

Don't have any first hand experience with these, but in general I can
say that 1 KW is not much power. 2 Stroke motors also are noisy, not
very fuel efficient, usually hard to start and are not very reliable.
2 Stroke motors are very light for the horsepower they produce through
so I'll bet the whole thing is very light.

The price is attractive considering it's about 50% of the going rate
for that size..

Old December 20th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

1KW, 2HP high revving 2-stroker --- lotsa luck with voltage regulation and AC
frequency stability.

It's junk.

Old December 21st 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"David Snyder Hale" wrote in message
I just came across an ad for these generators:

http://www.portable-gas-generator.com/

1kW, $163

Seems too cheap. I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for" --
generally. Has anyone any experience with these? Thought? Comments?

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu *

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is .
Cavet Emptor (buyer beware).
Ace - WH2T

Old December 21st 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

David Snyder Hale wrote:

Seems too cheap.**I'm*a*big*believer*of*"you*get*what*you*pa y*for"*--
generally.**Has*anyone*any*experience*with*these?* *Thought?*Comments?

At markets here they sell 4 strokes cheaper. Wee use it for some field days
in remote areas without problems.

73

Ralf, DL2MRB
--