Old December 23rd 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default What Happens to Us that Passed General Written, but failed Morse Code Test?

I passed my general written test 3 months ago, but failed the Morse Code
test. Will I be able to automatically upgrade to General once the rules change
or do I need to take a new general written Test?

Old December 23rd 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I passed my general written test 3 months ago, but failed the Morse Code
test. Will I be able to automatically upgrade to General once the rules change
or do I need to take a new general written Test?

As I understand it, neither. You'll need to go back to a VE session,
bring your CSCE (the certificate which documents the fact that you
passed the written exam), pay another exam fee (probably), and have
them submit the paperwork for your General. The CSCE remains valid
for one year after the date on which you passed the exam.

So, it's not automatic, but you won't actually have to retake the exam.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old December 26th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dave wrote in :

I passed my general written test 3 months ago, but failed the Morse
Code
test. Will I be able to automatically upgrade to General once the
rules change or do I need to take a new general written Test?

You will need to take a copy of your CSCE and a new exam Fee to a VE
session. Fill out an applicaiton for General Glass. This is a paperwork
upgrade that the VE must do. You will not automatically become a General,
you must sumbit the paperwork to get it. However once you have filed the
paper work you then immediatly have General class privilegdes using a /AG
suffix to your call.

Allan R. Battieger
WB5QNG
Old December 28th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Dave" wrote in message
I passed my general written test 3 months ago, but failed the Morse Code
test. Will I be able to automatically upgrade to General once the rules
change
or do I need to take a new general written Test?

Very FEW things are automatic -- just due to a rule change.
When is anything in government automatic?
You don't get US social security -- unless you file the paperwork !
Most state drivers licenses are not either -- these days !

You have to take the initiative (to FCC and VE representatives) that you are
still alive and
you are still interested (passion and desire for "radio art") in becoming
licensed radio amateur.
"Radio art" is the FCC words from recent R&O -- it is NOT a cell phone, CB,
or FRS radio service.

gb

Old December 28th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"w9gb" wrote in message
. ..
"Dave" wrote in message
I passed my general written test 3 months ago, but failed the Morse Code
test. Will I be able to automatically upgrade to General once the rules
change
or do I need to take a new general written Test?

Very FEW things are automatic -- just due to a rule change.
When is anything in government automatic?
You don't get US social security -- unless you file the paperwork !
Most state drivers licenses are not either -- these days !

You have to take the initiative (to FCC and VE representatives) that you
are still alive and
you are still interested (passion and desire for "radio art") in becoming
licensed radio amateur.
"Radio art" is the FCC words from recent R&O -- it is NOT a cell phone,
CB, or FRS radio service.

gb

You will have to take your paperwork into a VE session, pay the session fee,
and file the paperwork. You can do this at anytime AFTER the effectivity
date of the rule change. It has not yet been published in the Federal
Register so the effectivity date is not known. At the time you file, your
CSCE must still be valid (i.e. not more than 365 days old).

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 30th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:18:30 +0000, Allan R. Batteiger wrote:

Dave wrote in :

I passed my general written test 3 months ago, but failed the Morse
Code
test. Will I be able to automatically upgrade to General once the
rules change or do I need to take a new general written Test?

You will need to take a copy of your CSCE and a new exam Fee to a VE
session. Fill out an applicaiton for General Glass. This is a paperwork
upgrade that the VE must do. You will not automatically become a General,
you must sumbit the paperwork to get it. However once you have filed the
paper work you then immediatly have General class privilegdes using a /AG
suffix to your call.

After the effective date, of course! :-)

For those that recall, this will be similar to the "paperwork upgrades" we
VE teams did after April 15, 2000.

- Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."