Old January 3rd 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default IC-U18 programming: how?

This is a curiousity question only - I'm not wanting to actually
program this radio - but...

Does anyone know how this radio is programmed? I don't see any kind of
connector for a computer, and a look at the schematic shows it can't be
programmed through the external speaker/mike connectors. (unless
they're doing something REALLY ingenious!) The schematic also doesn't
show an obvious programming connector, though I may be missing
something involving test points(grin). There is no keypad, so it can't
be done that way. The service manual (as found online) doesn't address
programming at all...

Thanks for addressing my curiousity, and for tolerating a slightly
off-topic (since this is a commercial rig) post!

Old January 3rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

w9wi wrote:
This is a curiousity question only - I'm not wanting to actually
program this radio - but...

Does anyone know how this radio is programmed? I don't see any kind of
connector for a computer, and a look at the schematic shows it can't be
programmed through the external speaker/mike connectors. (unless
they're doing something REALLY ingenious!) The schematic also doesn't
show an obvious programming connector, though I may be missing
something involving test points(grin). There is no keypad, so it can't
be done that way. The service manual (as found online) doesn't address
programming at all...

Thanks for addressing my curiousity, and for tolerating a slightly
off-topic (since this is a commercial rig) post!

You would use the ICOM EX-704 external proggrammer...

Bob N9LVU
Old January 3rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Robert Kubichek wrote:
You would use the ICOM EX-704 external proggrammer...

My question is, how (maybe more accurately, *where*) does the
programmer attach to the radio?

Old January 3rd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Old January 4th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

w9wi wrote:
Robert Kubichek wrote:

You would use the ICOM EX-704 external proggrammer...

My question is, how (maybe more accurately, *where*) does the
programmer attach to the radio?

Looking at the schematic, it looks like it is through the mic/speaker jacks
via the clone switch..

Bob N9LVU