Old January 12th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default ICOM IC-2820H vs ICOM ID-800H

Is there anyone here who can explain to me why the ICOM IC-2820H costing
$649.95 with the UT-123 D-Star DV Digital Voice / GPS Unit $269.95 for
a total of $919.90 can be worth so much more than the Icom ID-800H
costing only $559.99 with the Dstar all ready installed. I would really
like to know because at first look the ID-800H looks like a fantastic
bargain. What am I missing. I'm not trying to start an argument I just
cannot understand what makes the one worth $920 and the other $560. Any
insights would be welcome.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Old January 12th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Tom Horne" wrote in message
Is there anyone here who can explain to me why the ICOM IC-2820H costing
$649.95 with the UT-123 D-Star DV Digital Voice / GPS Unit $269.95 for
a total of $919.90 can be worth so much more than the Icom ID-800H
costing only $559.99 with the Dstar all ready installed. I would really
like to know because at first look the ID-800H looks like a fantastic
bargain. What am I missing. I'm not trying to start an argument I just
cannot understand what makes the one worth $920 and the other $560. Any
insights would be welcome.

1) Dual Receive (The 800 can only receive one frequency at a time)
2) GPS (The 800 doesn't have this).
3) Remote head.

The manuals can be downloaded from http://www.dstar.ca/docs.html as PDF
files. There are probably more differences.

Old January 12th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

If you buy a whole complete car (in this example) it will cost you $20,000.
If you buy a whole car - part by part - it will cost you $300,000.

The same theory applies here. So buyer beware. If you know you want
D-star, don't buy it as an add on, buy it built-in, else it is going to
cost you.

-Julie

Tom Horne wrote:
Is there anyone here who can explain to me why the ICOM IC-2820H
costing $649.95 with the UT-123 D-Star DV Digital Voice / GPS Unit
$269.95 for a total of $919.90 can be worth so much more than the Icom
ID-800H costing only $559.99 with the Dstar all ready installed. I
would really like to know because at first look the ID-800H looks like
a fantastic bargain. What am I missing. I'm not trying to start an
argument I just cannot understand what makes the one worth $920 and
the other $560. Any insights would be welcome.
--
Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too
dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Old January 12th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Julie, I don't believe that you understood or answered his question.

One unit without the gps costs more than another brand which includes the
gps. His question is WHY ?

James
----------------------------

Old January 12th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

hey james ............ you need to put down the crack pipe and step
away. worse you need to get back on your meds and quit ignoring your
doctor's advice. either your vision is blurred or your mind is
muddled. sad ...........

.................................................. .....

Old January 13th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Greetings James,
The point is if you buy in pieces and add ons, it will cost you more.
I believe I made that point clearly.
Plus, if you compare the specs you will see that all things are Not
Equal.

Please review the label on your bottle of Lithium, and follow your
doctor's orders.

Love,
Julie

Old January 13th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Okay,
Now that I have had my fun at James's expense, and he has been such a
good sport and a gentlemen,
let me say - Thank you James for taking the jokes.

Tom's question seemed to me to center on the D-star aspect more than the
GPS.
The bottom line Tom is to be a good shopper, like you appear to be doing,
know what is important to you, and buy yhe best deal you can find.

Let the Buyer beware.

-Julie

Old January 13th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

James wrote:
Julie, I don't believe that you understood or answered his question.
One unit without the gps costs more than another brand which includes the
gps. His question is WHY ?

James

James, you haven't answered his question either, which puts a great deal
of doubt on the matter of you understanding his question as well. At
this point Julie has at least attempted to answer his question, a bit
more useful than being critical of someone's attempt to help, YMMV.

Tom, the more expensive choice is that way because instead of
engineering and manufacturing as a unit it has to be designed to work
with and without the options as well as having more production runs to
build each of the options in addition to building the initial unit. Add
to that the difference in features and the difference in when they were
designed, later models benefit from previous engineering, better
predictions of how long it takes to get to market, parts supply times,
etc etc.

Not to mention Icom prices as they see fit for their own purposes, be
they numbers of units in stock, how big the production runs were, what
the exchange rates were at the times of import and sale, which units
they really want in use...
Old January 13th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital,alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

D. Stussy wrote:
"Tom Horne" wrote in message
Is there anyone here who can explain to me why the ICOM IC-2820H costing
$649.95 with the UT-123 D-Star DV Digital Voice / GPS Unit $269.95 for
a total of $919.90 can be worth so much more than the Icom ID-800H
costing only $559.99 with the Dstar all ready installed. I would really
like to know because at first look the ID-800H looks like a fantastic
bargain. What am I missing. I'm not trying to start an argument I just
cannot understand what makes the one worth $920 and the other $560. Any
insights would be welcome.

1) Dual Receive (The 800 can only receive one frequency at a time)
2) GPS (The 800 doesn't have this).
3) Remote head.

The manuals can be downloaded from http://www.dstar.ca/docs.html as PDF
files. There are probably more differences.

So the dual VFOs and the built in GPS is worth $360 more? The ID 800H
also has a removable control head so that one I left alone. I guess I
would have thought that the additional features and utility justified
$200 additional tops but $360? Since the Kenwood TM-D710A testing has
shown that it's built in TNC is just as robust as most external ones
I'll probably go that route given that the Packet infrastructure is
already built out. My primary interest being in EMCOMM that makes more
sense to me right now.