Old January 23rd 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default New AT&T Home phone

I know this is an off topic info msg but thought might be of interest
to some of you. I just bought the latest Radio Shack AT&T house
phone. It is progrmable and uses no batteriest to hold the settings
in tack. It had features like 4 pre programale instant memories
M1 M2 M3 that you can put in things lile "911" or 10-10-220
or Time check nr etc. You can set announcement after 2 rings then
it can store up to 19 incoming msgs or 29 minutes of calls.
I was bale to setup most of the features myself except the
Annoncement after 2 rings. I went back to radio schack and told
them I could'nt change the nr of rings to 2 followed by my
announcement. they said bring the phone in and they would do it
for me. I thought "oh no if I unplug the AC adapter I'll loose
all the stuff I had set up. But they said no "it has a batteryless
chip in it that retains the set up features without power of any
kind!!! In fact the box it came in says "battery less" phone.
So I took it down and the guy did it for me so fast I could'nt see
which keys he was pokeing. Now its set for 2 rings only instead of
7 rings prior to the automatic announcement. he said the phone reqjuires
no battery power to retain the "setup" contents. I wonder what kind

of chip can do this:: ROM or RAM??? ROM CHIP requires a burner
RAM chip reqyures some kind of battery backup lithium or whatever.
But this Home Ph had neither. It says right on the box that it came
in "batteryless phone"...
How can this be????????
Joe

Old January 24th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Topaz305RK" wrote in message

"Joseph Fenn" wrote in message
.net...

snip

of chip can do this:: ROM or RAM??? ROM CHIP requires a burner
RAM chip reqyures some kind of battery backup lithium or whatever.
But this Home Ph had neither. It says right on the box that it came
in "batteryless phone"...
How can this be????????
Joe

EPROM

EPROM can only be erased with ultraviolet light.

EEPROM or more likely flash memory like is used
in thumb drives or camera memory cards.

Old January 24th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joseph Fenn wrote:
[...]

It gets powered off the phone line's D.C. ??
Old January 25th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, BillJ wrote:

Joseph Fenn wrote:
[...]

Negative its not powered by the AC adaptor. It contains no batteries
in the phone either. In fact on the box it says No battery Phone.
Others tell me its a "flash rom chip" whatever that is, and it does
retain the "setup" features in tact even with the ac adaptor unplugged.
Joe

Old January 25th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joseph Fenn wrote:

[...]

Right, no AC adaptor needed. If it is plugged in the phone line, there
is power there, on the line. Maybe that is where it gets it power, then
stores setup info to an EEPROM.
Old January 27th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Last responder said it gets power from the phone line itself.
That is a negative. If true then when I unplugged both the
AC adapter and the ph line plug it would have lost all its
SET-UP info instantly. I had to unplug the ph plug and the
adapter, take it down to the local Radio-Shack and they then
Pluged it into the Ph line and plugged in the AC adapter.
All my settings and stored memories stayed in tack as I had set
them. So your assumption that the Ph line power keeps the
setup chip active is wrong. Also removing the AC adapter
did not loose the SET-UP settings. Only thing I wanted to
change was "change rings to 2, then announcement to leave
a msg after tone goes out. The guy at Radio Shack did replug it in
to his ph line, replugged the ac adapter in, and proceeded to
change the nr of rings to 2 rings then announce. He did it so
fast I could'nt even see which setup key he changed the rings
from 7 down to 2. So obviously some kind of chip in the phone
does'nt rely on any external power source to keep its setup info
active.
Joe
(someone suggested it might be Flash chip whatever that is.)

Old January 27th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:13:53 -1000, Joseph Fenn wrote:

(someone suggested it might be Flash chip whatever that is.)

Flash memory is fairly ubiquitous now-a-days. The most common form is
seen in digital cameras:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash

But, it is found in MP3 players, cell phones, and ... AT&T Home phones,
any any other device that needs to retain semi-dynamic data across a
powered-down state.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Old January 27th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Thanks much Jonesy! My brother-in-law was a electronic service man
till he retired about 5 years ago. His explanation mirrored yours!
I still dont understand the intra stucture of such a chip but he
made it clear that such devices do exist.
Joe

Old January 27th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:11:42 -1000, Joseph Fenn wrote:
Thanks much Jonesy! My brother-in-law was a electronic service man
till he retired about 5 years ago. His explanation mirrored yours!
I still dont understand the intra stucture of such a chip but he
made it clear that such devices do exist.
Joe

Yep. It's a shame flash memory could not have been built into the
Azden PCS-4000.... HI!HI!

Jonesy