Old May 15th 04, 10:38 AM
chafik CN8JV

Default Problems with LSB on IC706MKII

hello my friends
I am using icom 706 MKII
on LSB, I get bad reports about
audio and modulation quality, and the output power is too low.
but on USB the output power is normal with good audio quality
and modulation!
any idea please
thanks 73 CN8JV
Old May 16th 04, 08:24 AM
Pete KE9OA

Your injection frequency for the LSB mode probably isn't set correctly. You
didn't say how your audio sounded. If it is lacking low frequency response,
the injection frequency is too far down on the filter slope. This would also
account for the lower output power.
I am not familiar with the innards of this rig..............it is possible
that this could be corrected through a softkey menu. I am sure that this rig
probably has a service menu mode.

Pete

"mongo" wrote in message
On 15 May 2004 02:38:03 -0700, (chafik
CN8JV) wrote:

hello my friends
I am using icom 706 MKII
on LSB, I get bad reports about
audio and modulation quality, and the output power is too low.
but on USB the output power is normal with good audio quality
and modulation!
any idea please
thanks 73 CN8JV

AM , FM & RTTY Tx OK?
Tried a CPU reset?
Might be the PLL or main board.
Service manual here;

http://www.acc.umu.se/~nor/.manual/i...ice_Manual.pdf

Old May 17th 04, 04:47 AM
Fred McKenzie

I am using icom 706 MKII
on LSB, I get bad reports about
audio and modulation quality, and the output power is too low.
but on USB the output power is normal with good audio quality
and modulation!

Chafik-

Did you compare USB and LSB on the same frequency or on different bands? If
not on the same frequency, there could be other factors involved.

The IC-706 MKII may have USB and LSB mixing frequencies determined by the
microprocessor, so there would normally be no adjustment. About the only thing
you could do would be to try resetting the CPU, as someone else suggested. If
you do, all of your programmed frequencies will be deleted.

If the assumption about the CPU determining the mixing frequency is true, there
isn't much that can go wrong unless you happen to have a bad filter, or somehow
a CW filter is being selected when set to LSB.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old May 17th 04, 08:32 PM
Annette & LJ Dumas

I have a similar problem on USB. My receive audio dropped to barely
audible, and it sounded like people are talking from within a tin can. Got
a friend on air, we compared AM, FM, CW USB and LSB, and I listened to RTTY.
Everything received well except USB; LSB was a little off, I think.
Transmit was fine (5-8, 5-9). Wrote ICOM, they had 'no ideas for
troubleshooting.' Sent it back Friday (5/14) as it's still under warranty.

Will let'cha know what ICOM says!

73

Joe
N2LJD
m...

Old May 24th 04, 07:55 AM
Bob M.

"chafik CN8JV" wrote in message
m...
hello my friends
I am using icom 706 MKII
on LSB, I get bad reports about
audio and modulation quality, and the output power is too low.
but on USB the output power is normal with good audio quality
and modulation!
any idea please
thanks 73 CN8JV

Is the radio aligned properly? It's easy to check but if it's out of
alignment, it needs to go to a radio shop to be fixed since proper
calibration tools are needed.

To hear if it's aligned right:
- In AM mode, tune to a time station, such as CHU or WWV.
- Now listen to the station in both LSB and USB modes. Is the sound of the
clock tick the same, or close? If so the rig is aligned properly. If they
don't sound the same, the rig is out of alignment.

Old May 24th 04, 04:30 PM
Dave Holford

"Bob M." wrote:

[...]

Don't try it on CHU. They transmit a carrier and USB only.

Dave