Old October 26th 11, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Comet CAA-500 thread incompatibility

I bought a CAA-500 from a reseller in the USA and have found a problem with
the lower frequency input connector, its supposed to be an SO-239.

More on the incompatible thread issue.

I have been in contact with Comet in Japan and they had admitted that the
connector will NOT fit the US standard PL-259 connector. They HAVE used the
16mm x 1 mm pitch thread, they call it an International Thread! All PL-259's
have a 5/8" x 26 threads per inch pitch.

Here is a copy of the email sent to me regarding the incompatibility of the
threads on the lower frequency connector.

Hello Mr. John,
Thank you very much for purchasing our CAA-500.
The CAA-500 first lot does not have international standard connector.
From the second lot, which will be released on NOVEMBER 2011, we change the
CAA-500 connector so that PL-259 connector will screw onto the CAA-500 M-J
connector completely.
Would you please so kind as to send your CAA-500 back to us?
I will send you the new one with international standard connector, then.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you.
We hope that you will continue to choose COMET products.
Sincerely,
Mika Yagi****a
COMET Co.,Ltd.
TEL : 81-(0)48-839-3131
FAX : 81-(0)48-839-3136

http://www.comet-ant.co.jp/english/index.html

So ALL CAA-500's sold in America WILL have the WRONG thread on the low
frequency connector.
Contact your supplier, and I hope you get a better response that I received
from the supplier I bought mine from in the USA.
DO not force your PL-259 on the connector, it will damage the thread and
render your warranty null and void.

I have relented and spent $70 Aust to send the CAA-500 back to Comet in
Japan, along with a sample of a PL-259 so they can check it on the
replacement unit before they ship it back to me.

Here is the second email I received from them:

Hello Mr. John,
Thank you for your reply.
Our exchange policy is;
the customer covers the freight fee to COMET, then COMET will offer the new
one and cover the freight fee to the customer.
Technically, this is not our mistake because we don't think it's wrong
connector.
We usually do not make connector international standard, because we don't
feel the need to do that and our distributors purchase our product with this
understanding.
From second lot, we decided to make CAA-500 connector international, not
because the connector is wrong, but because lots of oversea customers
request international standard connector.
We usually exchange the CAA-500 because we think it's true that our product
does not satisfy the customer anyway, even not by our mistake.

Please send your CAA-500 to;
Comet Co Ltd
4-18-2, Tsuji, Minami-Ku,
Saitama-shi, Saitama-pref,
332-0026, JAPAN
TEL : 81-(0)48-839-3131
Thank you for your understanding.
Sincerely,
Mika Yagi****a

An expensive lesson.
73

--
73
John VK2KC

Old October 26th 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I probably would have just opened up the box and put in an SO-239 jack.

Old October 27th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Well I thought of that too, was going to use a Type N as a replacement, but
decided against that line of action.

Make an adaptor? I am a fitter and machinist, and so had the appropriate
thread turning gear including a lathe, but an adaptor would be a very clumsy
way around the problem and thinking about it and figured that it may
interfere with the calibration, and once I opened the box, warranty is non
existent.

I also figured that if I sat on the information, many of you would not be
aware that there is a problem with the thread sizes.

73
Johnno

.. .

Old October 30th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Thank you for being considerate and passing the the info along.

I confess to taking the easy way out most of the time so I
automatically think of some kind of hack to manage a workaround.

I have used a a short length of copper tubing and a slightly longer
piece of 1/8" wire or brass tube to adapt worn out PL259's to quick
service. Slit the tube a little and squeeze it for fit. Sometimes use
a stainless hose clamp. Not a "fix" but a workaround for the moment.

Once upon a time a trustworthy manufacturer put out a bunch of PL259
male connectors with out of spec threads. In my case, the antenna
connectors sufferred the most.

Your way is of course, the best way for the future use.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:41:02 +1100, "Johnno"
wrote:

Well I thought of that too, was going to use a Type N as a replacement, but
decided against that line of action.

Make an adaptor? I am a fitter and machinist, and so had the appropriate
thread turning gear including a lathe, but an adaptor would be a very clumsy
way around the problem and thinking about it and figured that it may
interfere with the calibration, and once I opened the box, warranty is non
existent.

I also figured that if I sat on the information, many of you would not be
aware that there is a problem with the thread sizes.

73
Johnno

. ..

Old October 30th 11, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Thanks for your encouraging reply John, I have since found out that the
Japanese call the PL-259 an "M" connector, and the metric version which I
believe is used universally in Japan is called the "M-J" connector.
Presumably the "J" for Japan.
73
Johnno.

Old October 30th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"John Ferrell" wrote in message
Thank you for being considerate and passing the the info along.

I confess to taking the easy way out most of the time so I
automatically think of some kind of hack to manage a workaround.

I have used a a short length of copper tubing and a slightly longer
piece of 1/8" wire or brass tube to adapt worn out PL259's to quick
service. Slit the tube a little and squeeze it for fit. Sometimes use
a stainless hose clamp. Not a "fix" but a workaround for the moment.

Once upon a time a trustworthy manufacturer put out a bunch of PL259
male connectors with out of spec threads. In my case, the antenna
connectors sufferred the most.

I think about 10 or so years ago MFJ put out a lot of equipment, especially
their tuners that had the wrong for America threads on the SO-239s.

One would think that the companies would have corrected that by now.

Old November 1st 11, 12:40 PM
Banned

best book on the mediterannean diet velocity diet torrent an unbalanced poor quality or inadequate diet
morcheeba women lose weight lyrics ultimate new york diet review high protein weight loss plan
example of a low carbohydrate diet hoodia loss weight diet b12
how long do you have to not eat to lose weight diet for ketoses southbeach diet heart attacks
suzanne sumers diet plan free how to lose weight fast all rice diet
zero carb diets loss program tredmill weight workout how to lose weight during hrt
dietetic diet control susan somers diet plan practical weight loss tips
liver diet menu a diet on how to foods to eat to burn fat
diet pill aids diet extreme loss weight bob diet green plan
diet natural treatment weight loss fitness retreat low protein diet and kidney disease

just another stlaking thread Another WHAT Thread...?!?!? K4YZ Policy 2 March 1st 07 10:19 PM
FA: COMET CF-416 Duplexer Dan Conti Scanner 0 December 27th 04 06:58 AM
COMET DUPLEXER nk Swap 0 September 22nd 04 03:45 AM
FS: Comet triplexer CFX-324 Mark Swap 0 April 24th 04 10:39 PM
FS:Comet Triplexer Mark Swap 0 April 13th 04 10:27 PM