Old July 30th 12, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default TM-742 on 70 MHz

I am interested in the 70 MHz band that is currently authorized in some
European countries. I understand the frequency is no longer used by the
U.S. television system, so it could be authorized here in the future as
well.

According to an article on how to modify the Kenwood TM-742, the 50 MHz
module can tune to about 90 MHz. Is anyone actually using one on the 70
MHz band? Is it necessary to realign the module, or does it work as-is?

Fred
K4DII
Old July 30th 12, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Fred McKenzie writes:

I am interested in the 70 MHz band that is currently authorized in some
European countries. I understand the frequency is no longer used by the
U.S. television system, so it could be authorized here in the future as
well.

Not quite true. There is a full-power DTV station in Illinois (WHBF -
FCC Facility ID #13950) and a Class-A digital (also in Illinois) WOCK-CD
(Fac ID #35092).

There are also a handful of LP stations around the country on VHF
Channel 4 - some in analog (who will be facing the 2015 LP shutdown) and
some as LP digital.

--NK1G

Old August 2nd 12, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I am interested in the 70 MHz band that is currently authorized in some
European countries. I understand the frequency is no longer used by the
U.S. television system, so it could be authorized here in the future as
well.

One doesn't mean the other. One reason the 11metre band disappeared to CB
was because it wasn't an international allocation. Same with 220Mhz, even
144MHz, only some of it's an international allocation.

Yes, some work has been done to internationalize things, but that tends to
be to give some specific change, like in the low frequency allocations.
That gives a whole different propagation situation.

So just because there's a 70MHz allocation somewhere doesn't mean it will
come to North America. And for that matter, just because a frequency
range may become available doens't mean it will go to amateur radio.

Note that history shows we've lost more vhf/uhf allocations over time than
HF allocations, indeed, we've gained some in HF.

Michael VE2BVW

Old August 2nd 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article .net,
Michael Black wrote:

[...]

I don't know all the legalities, but NK1G's comments are probably the
main reason it will not happen any time soon. I was not aware that
there were still Television stations using the frequency.

In the meantime, I would like to listen to see if I can hear the
Europeans during band openings. I could construct a converter, but it
would be easier if the TM-742's 50 MHz module worked there. I guess
I'll have to try it to find out.

It just occurred to me that not all 70 MHz activity would be on FM, as
is the case on the 50 MHz band. Perhaps a converter isn't such a bad
idea!

Fred
K4DII
Old August 3rd 12, 02:07 PM
Junior Member

Location: Milton Keynes UK

Hi Fred

There are increasing numbers of countries in Europe and the Middle east getting allocations on 4M, its worth looking at www.70Mhz.org for some up to date info.
However you are unlikely to hear trans Atlantic traffic on FM, you would be a lot better off building a converter. There have been a few cross band QSO's between the US and EU using 50 / 70MHz. You have probably missed the season now though. Have a look for CT1FFU on you tube..

Good Luck

Tim M0AFJ

Old August 4th 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
M0AFJ wrote:

Hi Fred

There are increasing numbers of countries in Europe and the Middle east
getting allocations on 4M, its worth looking at www.70Mhz.org for some
up to date info.
However you are unlikely to hear trans Atlantic traffic on FM, you would
be a lot better off building a converter. There have been a few cross
band QSO's between the US and EU using 50 / 70MHz. You have probably
missed the season now though. Have a look for CT1FFU on you tube..

Tim-

Thanks for the 70 MHz website. The article about modifying a TenTec
transverter looks interesting.

Fred
K4DII