Old May 8th 05, 12:05 AM
Ken Bessler

Default Alinco DR-610 heat?

Anyone with a DR-610 out there? I've got one that seems
to like to run hot. It's always warm and when transmitting it
gets hot and stays hot for a long time after the QSO. Yes,
I checked the fan - it's running.

Rig works FB - I'm just worried it's going to burn up!

Help?

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #1055, Digital On Six #350,

Old May 8th 05, 01:53 AM
Ken Bessler

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
In Message-ID:SQbfe.14797$tp.2121@fed1read04 posted on Sat, 7 May 2005
18:05:22 -0500, Ken Bessler wrote: Begin

Anyone with a DR-610 out there? I've got one that seems
to like to run hot. It's always warm and when transmitting it
gets hot and stays hot for a long time after the QSO. Yes,
I checked the fan - it's running.

Rig works FB - I'm just worried it's going to burn up!

Help?

I had one about ten years ago, and it too ran hot, never any problems,
must have been due to the robust voltage regulation, like the current
icom 706's have and get hot because of.

--

Bart

Thanks, Bart - Now that I think of it my old 706MkII got
this way, too. I read in the manual that the RF power level
is connected to a thermistor and the rig will cut power down
if the rig gets too hot. So, far, running remote base, cross
band repeat, echolink, SSTV & general use the rig has
gotten coffee cup hot but the heatsink didn't get too hot and
the power stayed at 100% of what I had it set to.

I guess it's just a cooker!

Old May 9th 05, 01:54 AM
JB

I had one that would cook the RX VCO away. I would unkey the TX and
the RX would go away. It couldn't be fixed under warranty, so I took
it back and got a Yaesu.

Old May 9th 05, 03:36 PM
Roger Conroy

Anyone with a DR-610 out there? I've got one that seems
to like to run hot. It's always warm and when transmitting it
gets hot and stays hot for a long time after the QSO. Yes,
I checked the fan - it's running.

Rig works FB - I'm just worried it's going to burn up!

Help?

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #1055, Digital On Six #350,

My DR-610 turns the fan on the moment I touch the ptt - no matter what power
setting, and keeps it running until I turn the power off.

I have another issue. When using the external speaker in my car I can hear a
soft hiss when the power is off! This means it is drawing some current even
then. How long will this "off" current take to drain my battery? I don't
want to be stranded with a flat! The way its installed makes it impossible
for me to measure the current (separate from any other "parked and the key
out" current such as the clock). Is there a mod I can do so that "off"
really is OFF or will I just have to get used to disconnecting it every
time?

Other than that its a great rig with all the features I'll ever need, and
then some!

73
Roger ZR3RC

Old May 9th 05, 10:12 PM
Ken Bessler

"Roger Conroy" wrote in message

[...]

Can't you remove the Alinco inline power cable fuse and measure
the current there? You are running a fuse, right? Even if it is drawing
power, I doubt that it will draw enough to flatten your battery unless
you only run your car once a week.

Ken

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #1055, Digital On Six #350,

"Cold Heat" Soldering Tool RHF Shortwave 14 January 9th 05 12:32 AM
Some final questions on Alinco DJ-X2000 before purchasing Michael J. Scanner 4 December 21st 04 10:13 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
WTB: Alinco Mobile Radio Microphone Larry Johnson Swap 2 November 9th 03 02:20 AM
FS: Alinco 605TQ Gary Simms Swap 0 July 21st 03 05:23 PM