Old March 14th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Coslo

Default new kenwood?

Noon-Air wrote:
Whatever happenet to a simple to operate 100watt HF rig that transmits and
recieves??... something in the way of an inexpensive, baseline, HAM band
*only* rig... maybe along the lines of the re-production of the TS-130S.

The Icom IC718 can be bought new from AES for $549. It's a pretty basic
radio with not very many buttons. The Alinco DX77T is about $150.00 more.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old March 14th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Coslo

Dave Platt wrote:

It'd be interesting to see sorts of HF rigs might be build around a
modulator based on some of today's cellphone chip cores and IP...
direct conversion, high-performance I/Q phasing modulators, and so
forth. More work up front, but (potentially) a lot lower per-unit
incremental cost once you get into volume production.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the size of the market would justify
the investment, needed to create the sort of radio which you feel
could help maintain and increase the size of the amateur-radio market
in the way that you'd like :-(

Bingo! If I want a basic radio, I can go to a flea market and pick up
some nice simple stuff. When I buy a new radio, I want features and good
ergonomics to go along with them. That is what the market has turned into.

At Dayton last year, I picked up a 80 and 40 meter version of the
Single Sidebanders for 20 bucks for one, and 25 for the other. Both
worked fine. Just about any kid would have the money for that. Wasn't
State of the art, but 200 watts on SSB, and a cheap wire antenna can get
a person on the air CHEAP!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old March 19th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
ml

Default new kenwood?hijacked

my original therad was totally hi jacked

a topic of , how to get a simple /cheep hf rig is completely different
and should be a completely new topic it's interesting topic but needs a
new thread

thanks to the single person who offered a heads up saying that kenwood
was going to perhaps a d star

i wonder if anyone has any links to any preview shots of it or spec
page??

tnx

In article ,
rocky wrote:

In article ,

Old March 21st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Jerry

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
Whatever happenet to a simple to operate 100watt HF rig that transmits and
recieves??... something in the way of an inexpensive, baseline, HAM band
*only* rig... maybe along the lines of the re-production of the TS-130S.

-n6ojn

In a nutshell it boils down to demand. Do you still drive a non-air
conditioned, stickshift, non power steering, non power brake car? Right.
Few other people do, either! If you had a choice for driving a 100 mile trip
which would you choose, a 2006 Impala or a 1931 Model A Ford? Not trying to
be a smart aleck, but it answers the question! People just don't want
that anymore. Same applies to ham radios. I MUCH prefer my IC-706 MKIIG's to
the old 85 lb transmitters and receivers of yore!

Best 74

Jerry
K4KWH

"Hamguy" wrote in message
It's going to be a model that has 'D-Star' capability, like some of the
Icoms do.

"ml" wrote in message
i heard there might be a new kenwood rig out soon prob unv at dayton

anyone have any skuttlebut on it or any links ?

tnx

Old March 21st 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Caveat Lector

Wow that hit the mark Jerry
I might add if you want a TS-130S kind radio -- buy a used one, have it
restored if need be.
My experience with Hams is the young ones (computer savvy) have no problem
with programming and menus, but lots of old timers seem to.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 21st 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:15:29 -0500, "Jerry"
wrote:

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
Whatever happenet to a simple to operate 100watt HF rig that transmits and
recieves??... something in the way of an inexpensive, baseline, HAM band
*only* rig... maybe along the lines of the re-production of the TS-130S.

-n6ojn

In a nutshell it boils down to demand. Do you still drive a non-air
conditioned, stickshift, non power steering, non power brake car? Right.
Few other people do, either! If you had a choice for driving a 100 mile trip
which would you choose, a 2006 Impala or a 1931 Model A Ford? Not trying to
be a smart aleck, but it answers the question! People just don't want
that anymore. Same applies to ham radios. I MUCH prefer my IC-706 MKIIG's to
the old 85 lb transmitters and receivers of yore!

Best 74

Jerry
K4KWH

Yes, but he has a point. Our cars have had those features since the
fifties. Ham radio on the other hand, has gone crazy with the bells
and whistles since that time. Just look at radios like the Icom 7800
and the Yaesu FT DX 9000MP ($12,000 for crying out loud.) I'll bet
people who owns these things don't use half the knobs and buttons.
The owner of a new Impala would probably use everything on the car.

Dick - W6CCD
Old March 22nd 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Gary P. Fiber

wrote:

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
[...]

I was sitting on the phone at Icom when the original 706 did not
receive the weather channel very well. I can tell you the hams would
not have it that way. I can remember hearing over and over an amateur
transceiver that works in the 2 meter VHF range just has to be able to
reveice the weather channel otherwise it was useless. Take the W32A,
receives the weather channel like gang busters on the supplied rubber
duck, it was done by design.

Someone came up with a as I remember the " Yellow " wire mod for the
original 706. That mod actually enabled the 2 meter bandpass filter
when tuning above 148 MHz where it was turned off stock form the
factory.

Seems today's amateurs want a amateur transceiver and one that has a
wide receive too. I have often wondered how many rigs would be sold if
one could not alter the transmit range. Both seem to be pretty
standard on the check lists when purchasing a new rig.

I purchased a brand new IC-730 in 1982 at Dayton. Then I longed for
shortwave coverage and 10 FM. I did find an aftermarket FM board for
it from a person at Dayton the next year or two It worked great.
So with a quadruple conversion receiver I was not real happy as I
could not tune the shortwave bands. I now have an IC-718 and hardly
ever tune outside of the ham bands now that I can.

I agree if the companies could build a nice helical filtered ham band
only front ends the overload and adjcent channel complaints would go
away mostly.

Its an interesting hobby and also to listen what users seem to want in
a radio.

Thanks for the memories.

Gary K8IZ