Old September 4th 03, 06:17 PM
Bill Twist

Any particular models? any opinions on what brands are better, or
easier to use/understand?

I like my Icom IC-2100H. I don't think they make them anymore in
favor of a 2100 with a new suffix

The Icom 2100 series has been around for a little while, and enjoys a good
reputation.

I'm somewhat of a unique case myself. I use an old Kenwood
TS-700A 2 meter all-mode (AM, FM, USB, LSB and CW) at home, and an old
Radio Shack HTX-202 handheld for my APRS station. In the car I have a new
HTX-252 2 meter mobile, mainly because I found a new one for only $70. I
used to use a different HTX-202 in the car as a mobile rig, but the
finals blew after about ten years of daily use. I have the
Kenwood TS-520 for HF work, along with a Heathkit HW-99 novice rig that
covers the CW portions of 80, 40, 15, and 10 meters. I also have a
RS HTX-420 dual band handheld, again mainly because it was so damned cheap
on closeout.

Real men use flintlocks... In the rain.

Old September 4th 03, 08:30 PM
Carl H.

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message
om...
going to get my tech liscence and want to know what a good cheap radio
would be to get. any suggestions?

TenTec Triton 4

Get the TenTec Triton 4 (also known as the Ten Tec
Model 540 and the Model 544 with digital readout)

I have owned/used a Ten-Tec 540 since 1978 and
the only maintenance it's ever needed was a new
dial lamp(s).

Kenwood TS520
Heath SB100
Heath SB101
Drake TR-3
Drake TR-4

Of these radios the Drake TR-4 is the better choice.

STAY AWAY from the other sets as they all use
two or more radio tubes, which are not bad in of
themselves, however they will cost you much $$$
if you need a replacement tube sometime down
the road, assuming you can find one someplace.

The ONLY exception to the rule is if along with the
radio the seller will also provide you with a complet
set of spare tubes. Then and only then would I consider
a "tube/transistor" hybrid set.

Carl

Old September 5th 03, 03:52 PM
Radioman

I also have a
RS HTX-420 dual band handheld, again mainly because it was so damned cheap
on closeout.

How do you like your 420? Major intermod? Stock antenna suck?

Real men use flintlocks... In the rain.

With bulky gloves on... While reloading.

Old September 5th 03, 10:57 PM
Paul Jordan

My first was an OLD Icom 2AT with the thumbwheels to change the frew. I had
to add a tone board to it to use the repeaters.. Now I've got HTX-202's from
Radio Shack and even picked up the Dual Band they put out but took back real
quick because of the cell phone problem.. I've got a few 2 meter mobiles
from Radio Shack as well.. A lot of people slam on Radio Shack stuff but,
it's easy to use and if you get the 3 year warranty and something happens,
just take it back and get it replaced... FREE.. Here in AK there aren't any
ham radio stores so if you have something like a Yaesu or ICOM rig, you have
to send it out and that takes a while.. I've carried my 202 with a j-pole
wire antenna on my snow machine as a soul source of survival communications
and I think they're a great radio for the price..