Old October 11th 03, 03:48 AM
Frank K3EKO

Dee D. Flint wrote:

wrote in message
news:jpDhb.535678$cF.207422@rwcrnsc53...

MikeB wrote:

wrote in message

There is NO Tech Plus test. Only Tech, General and Extra.

-Frank

Hmmmm. How about "Technicians with HF" (term is from the ARRL
website)? I was trying to say that I was also taking the code test
portion also.

MikeB

There is no Tech with HF. You need a General Class.

73

Frank K3EKO

Hmmmmm, the FCC

(http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...atorclass.html)says

"A Technician Class licensee who also has passed a 5 words-per-minute
(wpm) telegraphy examination receives privileges in four long distance
shortwave bands in the HF range (3-30 MHz) (Refer to Section 97.301)"

Is this incorrect or outdated? As I said before this is all new to me!

MikeB

Incorrect and Outdated. Prior to the FCC restructuring of the Amateur
Bands, Tech Plus's could operate on HF. However, with the new rules in
place, you need to be a General class or higher in order to operate on HF.

73

Frank K3EKO

WRONG. Go read the rules. Any Tech who passes the 5wpm gets the same HF
privileges as the old Tech Plus and Novice classes.

I am a VE and also teach license classes for prospective licensees. Just
read the latest copy of ARRL's "Now You're Talking" or the Gordon West study
guide.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
VE for ARRL and W5YI

I don't care about the ARRL. THey can go to HELL.

Old October 11th 03, 03:49 AM
Frank K3EKO

Dee D. Flint wrote:

wrote in message

El Martillo wrote:

Frank wrote:

There is NO Tech Plus test. Only Tech, General and Extra.
-Frank

But at URL: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html

It states:
Technician Class

Hams enter the hobby as Technicians by passing a 35-question

multiple-choice

examination. No Morse code test is required. The exam covers basic
regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus

on

VHF and UHF applications.

Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF
frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians who pass a 5 WPM
Morse code examination are entitled to limited power outputs on certain

HF

frequencies. "Technicians with HF" may operate on the 80, 40, and 15

meter

bands using CW, and on the 10 meter band using CW, voice, and digital

modes.

Also for freq and power limits -- see URL:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg.../allocate.html

Believe who you want. That only applies to old tech plus licensees.
New Tech's CANNOT operate HF. How many times am I going to have to
explain this???

73

Frank K3EKO

Just as many times as I must tell you that you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
Techs who pass 5wpm get the old Tech Plus/Novice HF privileges. Says so
right in the FCC rules and all the up to date study guides.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
VE for ARRL and W5YI

What kind of dope are you smoking?

Old October 11th 03, 03:57 AM
Frank K3EKO

MikeB wrote:

MikeB wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

If you're an authorized VE, they should revoke your VE status for
telling NEW Techs that they can operate on HF.

Old October 11th 03, 03:57 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Frank K3EKO" wrote in message
Dee D. Flint wrote:
wrote in message

MikeB wrote:

I am taking the Tech+ test soon and have some equipment-related
questions.

I know alot about electronics but nothing about amateur radio, nor do
I know anyone who does, so I hope this is the best newsgroup for info,
if not, let me know which group to ask my questions in!

I plan to start off with low-power CW and need to know what equipment
I'll need to get started. I searched the archives, but did not get
much solid info.

I plan on getting a basic "learning transceiver" off eBay to begin
with, then after I know what options I need and learn more, I'll get a
new one.

What features will I need to be able to start to do low-power CW, and
is there a preferred brand or model to look for?

Thanks,

MikeB

There is NO Tech Plus test. Only Tech, General and Extra.

-Frank

However, there is a Tech with HF privileges even though the license only
says Technician.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Yes, prior to restructuring.

Frank

And after restructuring. Since I am teaching a class, I have read the
current FCC rules and the current ARRL "Now You're Talking." Technicians
who pass a 5wpm code test get the old Tech+/Novice HF privileges.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
VE for ARRL and W5YI

Old October 11th 03, 04:00 AM
Dee D. Flint

El Martillo wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

I choose to stay up to date on rules and regulations so that I can
effectively teach and administer the licensing tests in accordance with FCC
requirements. If you choose to continue to hold to a position that is
clearly incorrect as shown by the FCC rules, that is your problem.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 11th 03, 04:03 AM
Frank K3EKO

MikeB wrote:

[...]

This arguement is pointless. You can't talk to a brick wall. I'm done
here.

73

Frank K3EKO