Old October 10th 03, 10:34 PM
Reg Edwards

am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing.

============================

Ahhhh, you've unearthed the philosopher's stone.
Any left-over scraps to spare for me?
I'm in great need and will collect.
Are you in the Call Book?

Old October 11th 03, 01:15 PM
Brian Reay

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Was intended for alt.horology, a reference to pallet stones.

A most unconvincing attempt to cover up a major faux pas.

Your original post said:

"I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)"

Let us examine this a little:

"make a master oscillator for the shack". Well that could be a construed as
referring to the 'balance wheel' in a clock (or watch) escapment but only by
a leap beyond the credible.

"own crystals in order to reduce ageing" The "crystals" used in the pallet
of an escapement are using usually synthethtic ruby and, while the changing
of their profile can contribute to a loss of accuracy, the 'ageing problem'
is wear on the escape wheel and, while this is related to the 'cut' of the
pallet stones, other aspects of the system accuracy determine the various
profiles in this area (in particular the need for the escape lever to
provide the impetus to the 'balance' wheel).

"I am considering the use of bi-metals." The escape mechanism in a clock (or
watch) is often temperature compensated but the mechanism is either on the
"balance" wheel (the radius is changed to vary the angular momentum) or the
balance spring (the tension being varied). Neither of these align with the
mechanism of a tempratrimmer.

As regards accuracy, the limits for a certified chronometer are -0 +5s per
day, if memory serves me correctly. There are far more practical ways to
achieve better than this without resorting to cutting pallet stones.

No Gareth, you were just trying to start another thread where you didn't
understand the topic. Having realised your error you are now trying to
divert the thread- as it happens into an area where your knowledge seems
equally challenged.

Old October 11th 03, 02:46 PM
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

"RVMJ" wrote in message
Airy R. Bean wrote to uk.radio.amateur and rec.radio.amateur.misc

"I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of
bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)"

Then when offered relevant advice on the subjects mentioned, said

"Was intended for alt.horology, a reference to pallet stones"

This latter statement has also attracted a considered reply.

Mr Bean has not yet corrected his posting error, and so for the
information of alt.horology, have added them to the FUs.

Perhaps we should call him Nero, with everything burning up around him he
just keeps on fiddling about.
Alternatively we could call him Thomas as in Crapper; a tribute to the
quality of his posts.
--
;)
73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.

Old October 11th 03, 06:14 PM
A Veteran Has Lung

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)

DAMN! I thought you were going to say throat/wrists, and was going to reply
that in your case it is an excellent idea.

Not you've gone and spoiled all my fun

Old October 11th 03, 09:28 PM
Airy R. Bean

WRONG! It was intended as a joke, but from the headers,
only the NEGATIVE NERDS (of which group you are rapidly
becoming a member; no doubt the reason for your "Upgrade"
to a CB/M3 licence) in general responded.

Your response in general is one of obsessive sneering; a poor
reaction to the justifiable criticism of, and your loss of face due to,
your support for the gangrenous degeneration that is the M3/CB
licence.

Your desperation to score points has blinded you.....