Old October 10th 03, 09:47 AM
Airy R. Bean

Default Cutting your own

I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)

Old October 10th 03, 10:23 AM
Mike W

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:47:26 +0100, "Airy R. Bean"
wrote:

I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)

My dear Airy, I am so pleased to hear of your proposed project. The
'Raw Material' is readily available here in Cornwall, its called
Quartz, and is free for those willing to collect it. However if you
send me a large SAE I'll send you a few tons. HI

I'll assume the question is a genuine one about the Oxley trimmers
so...
AFIR it was two variables in one encapsulation, one with a positive
temp coeficient and the other negative. when you varied the trimmer it
added one coeficient and reduced the other, without changing the
capacitance.. At least thats the way it was explained to me many years
ago. I hav'nt seen one for years except in my junk box, and come to
think of it I hav'nt seen those for a while.

hth Mike W

Old October 10th 03, 10:42 AM
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
| cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
| of raw material?

Yes, open up an old crystal if you really must consider cutting your
own crystals. It is a very tricky task, so practise on scrap ones
first. Any crystal cut, will then take lots of time to settle and age.
Far better to use an old crystal which has already achieved stability
'as is', rather than start the aging process off again.

| Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
| (I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
| Tempatrimmer?)

A good quality crystal in an oven which provides proportional
temperature control, rather than on/off switching is difficult to beat
once it has had an hour to settle. Even better is a double ovened
crystal. Old lab grade equipment is a good source for these.

If you really must have the ultimate stand-alone standard then rubidium
standards are coming onto the second-hand market at quite affordable
prices.

Another solution is to build a little gadget which derives a frequency
standard off-the-air, phase locked using a PLL. Suitable sources are
198Khz LW and slightly less accurate, the line timebase of a TV tuned
and synched to a BBC channel (15,625 hertz). This is what I have used
to check the calibration of my own instruments for the past 20 years.

You would probably need that latter item anyway, otherwise what would
you calibrate your own standard against?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old October 10th 03, 10:42 AM
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...

Old October 10th 03, 01:40 PM
steve H

Try http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm
Far more stable than cutting your own crystal, can't imagine why you think making one yourself would
be more stable than a good surplus xtal and oven.

Steve H

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)

---

Old October 10th 03, 03:02 PM
Desperate Dan

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals

If your question was in the context of help with cutting your own throat,
rather than cutting crystals, this could possibly turn out to be the longest
thread ever posted to Usenet!

HTH
tox

Old October 10th 03, 03:21 PM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article ,
says...

Try
http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm
Far more stable than cutting your own crystal, can't imagine why you think making one yourself would
be more stable than a good surplus xtal and oven.

...And it's disciplined to GPS as well. Can't get much more stable
than that. 'Bout the same as a cesium standard, if I recall correctly.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)