Old March 3rd 04, 01:49 PM
Jim Leder

Default Cinergy brings BPL to Cincinnati for $29.95/mo

Unfortunately I agree. There is simply too much money backing BPL. The best
we can hope for is to slow it down or at least apply enough pressure that
the industry finds a way to clean it up. As it stands now, amateur radio as
we know it is in grave danger.

"Don Parker" wrote in message
A 1 Mb/sec feed in each direction for only $29.95 per month? That's
what the press releases claim that Cinergy Electric can deliver right
now.

BPL is a juggernaut that will not be stopped by the ARRL or anyone
else. There's simply too much money in it.

And notice that this isn't rural service either. Probably not too
surprising, since the claim of rural services is simply a pretense
anyway. It's large cities like Cincinnati that the BPL proponents
intended to service all along.

Goodbye to radio station WKRP, by the way. Nobody will be able to
listen any more.

Old March 3rd 04, 10:17 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Jim Leder" wrote in message ...

Unfortunately I agree. There is simply too much money backing BPL. The best
we can hope for is to slow it down or at least apply enough pressure that
the industry finds a way to clean it up. As it stands now, amateur radio as
we know it is in grave danger.

Guys...the trick here is to get organized clubs to start placing
informational ads in local papers and other media to INFORM the public
of exactly what harm BPL will bring. Yeah...it's gonna cost some
bucks, but what's it worth to you to keep this crap at bay...?!?!

They ALSO need to be informed that since this is a Part 15
program they are afforded NO PROTECTION from interferene from ANY
licensed radiator.

Lastly, we need to get the ARRL to start lobbying Congress to
mandate an informational insert in any BPL-accessing device informing
the consumer of exactly what Part 15 means and what the consumer can
expect.

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old March 4th 04, 04:36 AM
M. uberputz

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Leder" wrote in message

They ALSO need to be informed that since this is a Part 15
program they are afforded NO PROTECTION from interferene from ANY
licensed radiator.

That's right. Hopefully somebody will find a
way to generate and send "BPLI" (BPL Interference)
via some kind of a handy device right back up
the power line and into the distribution network
out on the pole. If they send it down the power
line then there must be a way to send it right back
up the same, creating standing waves, and fudging
their datastream. You hackers out there need
to get to work on this.

Related story:

http://www.computerworld.com/industr...801,90700,00.h
tml

http://www.isoc.org/briefings/013/

....and finally, the BPL Industry Big-Wigs will be having
a Conference and Industry Trade Show in Herndon
Virginia on April 21-22, 2004 at the Dulles Hyatt Hotel.

Show Link: http://www.plca.net/newsandevents.asp

You hams in the Va/DC/Md area need to
get out there and "meet with" these people.

Lastly, we need to get the ARRL to start lobbying Congress to
mandate an informational insert in any BPL-accessing device informing
the consumer of exactly what Part 15 means and what the consumer can
expect.

see: http://www.plca.net/FCC-04-29A1.pdf

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 4th 04, 07:28 PM
Robert Casey

Don Parker wrote:

A 1 Mb/sec feed in each direction for only $29.95 per month? That's
what the press releases claim that Cinergy Electric can deliver right
now.

There's a version of BPL that uses the microwave spectrum. Hopefully
this is that.
Bad news for our microwave hams, but not so bad for HF users, if true.
1Mb over
HF seems unlikely.

Old March 4th 04, 07:54 PM
Robert Casey

M. uberputz wrote:

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
. com...

"Jim Leder" wrote in message

. ..

They ALSO need to be informed that since this is a Part 15
program they are afforded NO PROTECTION from interferene from ANY
licensed radiator.

That's right. Hopefully somebody will find a
way to generate and send "BPLI" (BPL Interference)
via some kind of a handy device right back up
the power line and into the distribution network
out on the pole. If they send it down the power
line then there must be a way to send it right back
up the same, creating standing waves, and fudging
their datastream. You hackers out there need
to get to work on this.

New mode: International DX "BPL" style digital protocol communications.
Be sure to use your kilowatt linear to maintain desired QSOs.

Old March 5th 04, 06:28 AM
Brian Kelly

"Don Parker" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:28:47 GMT, Robert Casey wrote:
1Mb over
HF seems unlikely.

For quite a few years, the phoneline networking standard has been
delivering up to 10 Mb/sec by using a residential telephone line
(http://www.homepna.org/products) to carry a fraction of the HF
spectrum.

I couldn't find any modems or other devices in that site which involve
Internet access or even WAN netorking via the power utilities'
existing infrastuctures. Or they went over my head. Kindly clarify if
you will.

1 Mb/sec seems to be *easily* achievable at HF. It's already
been done.

Where? By what means?

The way I understand the matter real-world commercial tests of BPL
have demonstrated (so far) that, for all practical purposes, Internet
access via BPL is delivering only around half the speed common DSL
does for a bunch more dollars per month for a connection.

The $29.95/month cost is just another bait & switch scam, the cost
goes up to around $50/month after a few months for half the speed of
DSL for $30-40/month.

w3rv
Old March 5th 04, 07:01 AM
Brian Kelly

Robert Casey wrote in message ...
Don Parker wrote:

A 1 Mb/sec feed in each direction for only $29.95 per month? That's
what the press releases claim that Cinergy Electric can deliver right
now.

There's a version of BPL that uses the microwave spectrum.
Hopefully
this is that.
Bad news for our microwave hams, but not so bad for HF users, if true.

There are a number of approaches for using the microwave bands to
provide Internet access under discussion and development. Commonly
referred to as "802 dot something" (take yer pick and buy their
stock).

But those are not BPL which is defined as Internet access over the
elecrtic utilities' power lines which operate in the 2-80 Mhz portion
of the radio spectrum. I've personally tuned the HF spectrum in a BPL
pilot area and no, it's not just "so bad" it's bad enough to kill HF
ham radio anywhere the crap is deployed.

1Mb over
HF seems unlikely.

Probably.

w3rv