Old July 14th 04, 08:00 AM
Fred Zimring

Default FS: Isotron 40m & 80m antennas

I have for sale 40meter and 80 meter Isotron antennas. They are presently
assembled and located in Albany, NY. Asking $60 for the pair if picked up.
If you're interested please email me or call me at 972-231-7511. Thanks...

Old July 17th 04, 05:42 AM
GeorgeF

JS wrote:

"Fred Zimring" wrote in message

I have for sale 40meter and 80 meter Isotron antennas. They are presently
assembled and located in Albany, NY. Asking $60 for the pair if picked up.
If you're interested please email me or call me at 972-231-7511. Thanks...

Wouldn't take one if it was free. They are J-U-N-K.
The manufacturer says it's all in the installation. Trouble is, no one has
ever found out what the parameters of this mysterious "installation" are
that will allow this piece of junk to put a signal on the air.

RWW

I have the 40 meter version and love it. I only bought it instead of a
vertical due to all the (19 I believe) excellent reviews on eHam.net. I
will say the Isotron's have the best reviews than any of the verticals.

However I'm having a bit of a problem with the 10/15/20 Meter combo.

Put the 40 meter version up on a 12 foot mast, super easy to tune,
worked great, 1.2:1 SWR across the 40 Meter CW portion of the band
without the use of a tuner. Made better 40 meter CW contacts on the
Isotron than on my dipole, I still can't believe how good that
"birdfeeder" works.

Well I'm putting the 10/15/20 combo version together and its been more
of a problem. Can't get a good SWR, about 2:1 is the very best I can do
on any of the bands.

Each antenna has an SO259 connector and each antenna is connected in
parallel via short piece of twinlead. So I don't know which antenna I
really should connect my coax to, the 10, 15, or 20? Anyone have
experice with the 10/15/20 combo who can offer some suggestions....

George

Old July 17th 04, 03:43 PM
GeorgeF

Ray on the 75 Net wrote:

It is well known and proved that all the eHam.net reviews were sent in
by the same person, who is related to the manuafacturer.

Any time I see an Isotron at a hamfest all I hear are negative comments
about it. If you own one, try selling it! You cannot pay people to
haul it away.

As one poster said, the Isotron is ham radio J-U-N-K.

Ray

Then I must have a really crappy dipole because my 40 Meter ISO is doing
a better job. 1 S-unit less noise and 2 S-Units more signal in side by
side Comparison using a coax switch to switch back and forth....

I've seen many neg. comments about other products on eHam.net. You have
to have faith in something being on the up-and-up.... Sorry but so far
I like my 40 M Iso....

But on think I've quickly discovered is this, most people who say neg.
things about a product are people who have never owned or tried one.
They simply are spreading what they've heard from others who as well
never owned or tried one. That is true for all products, not just ISO's
or Ham equipment but all things in general....ya just have to try it for
yourself.... Now I'm just trying to get my other ISO's to work as well
as the 40 does....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old July 17th 04, 11:41 PM
bonos

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:43:56 -0400, GeorgeF
wrote:
Then I must have a really crappy dipole...

Obviously! LOL

Old July 18th 04, 01:38 AM
GeorgeF

Great Lib Net 3950 wrote:

"GeorgeF" wrote in message

Then I must have a really crappy dipole ////snip////

Yup, I bet you do!
case closed

Sorry I asked a question about an ham radio antenna problem....I didn't
realize this was a CB radio group.

George

Old July 18th 04, 06:02 PM
Uncle Peter

"GeorgeF" wrote in message

Then I must have a really crappy dipole because my 40 Meter ISO is doing
a better job. 1 S-unit less noise and 2 S-Units more signal in side by
side Comparison using a coax switch to switch back and forth....

Obviously you have a real problem your 40 meter dipole. Sorry. I am
putting the Isotron's down, but I suspect you have some issues with
the dipole that should have been addressed.

Pete

Old July 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Mike Coslo

GeorgeF wrote:
Great Lib Net 3950 wrote:

"GeorgeF" wrote in message

Then I must have a really crappy dipole ////snip////

Yup, I bet you do!
case closed

Sorry I asked a question about an ham radio antenna problem....I didn't
realize this was a CB radio group.

Hi George.

As a more usable answer for you, as opposed to some, the Isotron is a
member of a class of antennas that claim to put out a good signal,
despite having a very small size.

Another example of this sort of antenna is the Backpacker.

Pretty much what these antennas do is place a significant tuned circuit
at the end of your coax. The shield of the coax then acts as a radiator.

Does the antenna work? Despite what some say, it will work as long as
you have that length of coax doing the radiating.

So why the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth? Well, there are better
ways of getting a signal out - and safer ones - than having radiating
coax. In general coax is meant to take a signal from one place to
another, not serve as the launchpad for it! 8^)

One of the hazards of radiating coax is the possibility of RF getting
into places where you don't want it, such as the radio in general, the
audio signal you are transmitting, or your person. I got one rf burn,
and plan on no more!

Now the comparison to your dipole. When comparing the two, it is good
to know what the conditions were. Did you do a direct comparison, or was
it displaced by time? Also the frequency and distance can be important.
Were both DX? That radiating coax would likely be functioning as a
vertical, with a lower angle of radiation.

But in general, a decent dipole should outperform an Isotron. So I
suspect there might have been a problem with the dipole.

Hope this helps.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 19th 04, 12:35 AM
bonos

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:38:43 -0400, GeorgeF
Sorry I asked a question about an ham radio antenna problem....I didn't
realize this was a CB radio group.

You should stick to listening to your scanners, sonny.
Ham radio is for the big boys (and girls).

Old July 19th 04, 03:03 AM
GeorgeF

Great Lib Net 3950 wrote:

ISOTRON = J-U-N-K

get it now dumb ****?

The only thing I get is that maybe ham radio isn't for me. Sorry for
trying to get involved in this hobby. I read where hams were to be
helpful and friendly. But I've seen something which I don't need
involvement in. I have enough of this kinda talk and attitude at work,
don't need it in my spare time too.

George

Old July 19th 04, 03:59 AM
Mike Coslo

Great Lib Net 3950 wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Hi George.

As a more usable answer for you, as opposed to some

//drivelsnipped//

ISOTRON = J-U-N-K

get it now dumb ****?

Wow! Guess you told me!

Mike KB3EIA -

FS: Isotron 40m & 80m antennas Fred Zimring Equipment 30 August 1st 04 09:15 AM
ISOTRON Antennas. GeorgeF Antenna 8 July 18th 04 09:27 AM
FS: Isotron 40m & 80m antennas Fred Zimring Equipment 0 July 14th 04 08:00 AM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 4 August 20th 03 06:03 PM