Old October 13th 04, 12:14 AM
Bill

Default Rusty bolt effect

Hi all,
many years ago I read a very good article on the "rusty bolt effect"
that went into great detail, even as far as warning about corroding coke
cans in the undergrowth. I now can not find my copy of this. I don't
suppose any one can point me in the direction of any good descriptions
of this? I've spent time Googling and have come up with a lot of info
but I'm still looking for something I can show to a non technical person
and hope they can understand the fundamentals.
Any ideas??????
--
Bill
Old October 13th 04, 02:04 AM
Hal Rosser

If you're talking about galvanic corrosion, here's a page - but probably not
the one you're looking for.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Aircraft/galvdefi.htm

"Bill" wrote in message
Hi all,
many years ago I read a very good article on the "rusty bolt effect"
that went into great detail, even as far as warning about corroding coke
cans in the undergrowth. I now can not find my copy of this. I don't
suppose any one can point me in the direction of any good descriptions
of this? I've spent time Googling and have come up with a lot of info
but I'm still looking for something I can show to a non technical person
and hope they can understand the fundamentals.
Any ideas??????
--
Bill

---

Old October 13th 04, 02:10 AM
Hal Rosser

OOOH! - here you go:
http://dataweek.co.za/news.asp?pklNe...ategor yID=47

It says in part:
Another phenomenon caused by the build-up of corrosion deposits in a RF
joint is intermodulation, also known as the 'rusty bolt effect'. In this
case, the corrosion deposits are 'nonlinear semiconductors' and cause signal
mixing. The end result is interference from frequencies not transmitted at
the joint, but created from the mixing of multiple signals received by the
joint. The joint, in turn, acts like an electronic circuit which mixes
signals. This problem is common whenever multiple electronic devices are
used in close proximity. The shielding effectiveness of a non-linear joint
cannot be measured using DC measurements or standard RF test methods.

Interesting

Rusty bolt effect Bill Homebrew 10 October 15th 04 06:36 PM
How does rain effect antennas zeno Antenna 28 April 29th 04 11:47 PM
Ku band Dish - effect of distortion Eric Johnston Antenna 1 January 13th 04 03:28 PM
Bricks effect in dipole resonance? Help! Roy Lewallen Antenna 14 August 25th 03 06:36 PM
skin effect Alfred Lorona Antenna 9 August 21st 03 09:09 PM