Old March 6th 05, 04:37 AM

Default Echolink Problem

I just got a ham friend to install echolink and he's having a problem
that I've never seen. He can bring echolink up and sees all the
stations that are logged in. He has my call in his favorites and when
he clicks on my call the problem happens. On clicking, I get a connect
and everything looks good on my end, but on his end it says connecting
and then times out after 50 seconds. This happens with the test server
also. We had configured his router for ports 5198,5199, & 5200 and
disabled the windows and norton firewalls, but to no avail. Does anyone
have any ideas as to why he's having the problem. By the way, he has a
linksys wireless router and is on bellsouth DSL.

Old March 6th 05, 05:31 AM
kj

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a ham friend to install echolink and he's having a problem
that I've never seen. He can bring echolink up and sees all the
stations that are logged in. He has my call in his favorites and when
he clicks on my call the problem happens. On clicking, I get a connect
and everything looks good on my end, but on his end it says connecting
and then times out after 50 seconds. This happens with the test server
also. We had configured his router for ports 5198,5199, & 5200 and
disabled the windows and norton firewalls, but to no avail. Does anyone
have any ideas as to why he's having the problem. By the way, he has a
linksys wireless router and is on bellsouth DSL.

Very likely still a firewall / router issue. If the client is using DHCP
from the linksys wirelss router, is it consisitently getting the same IP
address that is set in the port (5198,5199) forwarding setting? Also make
sure it's set for UDP ports 5198 & 5199 NOT TCP ports.

Port 5200 shouldn't need setting on a Linksys router because it's an
outbound port that the Linksys wouldnot block anyway.

Somewhere on http://www.echolink.org/firewall_solutions.htm you'll probably
find the problem. My bet is it's the DHCP client IP address.

/kj

Old March 6th 05, 12:45 PM
Dee Flint

"kj" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My setup is a Linksys wireless router, Windows XP, using Comcast for an ISP.

When I got the router, I had to open the ports as stated above. Echolink
has information relating directly to the Linksys hardware on its page. Be
sure when you go set up the ports that you are on the right screen as there
are two screens that look very much alike.

If you are using Windows XP, tell the software firewal to allow unlimited
access for Echolink. The same would hold true for any other firewall
software you may be running. You don't have to disable the firewalls, just
tell them that this is a trusted program.

Finally check with the ISP to see if they are blocking those ports. Some
do. If they are, have them unblock them. If they won't open them, get a
different ISP. When I first tried to get on Echolink a couple of years ago
(before even having a router and before getting XP), that particular ISP
would not let me access the ports.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 6th 05, 04:48 PM
Buck

On 5 Mar 2005 20:37:07 -0800, " wrote:

I just got a ham friend to install echolink and he's having a problem
that I've never seen. He can bring echolink up and sees all the
stations that are logged in. He has my call in his favorites and when
he clicks on my call the problem happens. On clicking, I get a connect
and everything looks good on my end, but on his end it says connecting
and then times out after 50 seconds. This happens with the test server
also. We had configured his router for ports 5198,5199, & 5200 and
disabled the windows and norton firewalls, but to no avail. Does anyone
have any ideas as to why he's having the problem. By the way, he has a
linksys wireless router and is on bellsouth DSL.

What is the IP Bellsouth assigns him? If it is 10.x.x.x or
192.168.x.x then he is being double-firewalled and will likely have to
use a proxy. Many DSL users in this area (Georgia) have this problem.

On my system, I had to set my firewall router up with a DMZ to my
computer and use Norton firewall to keep the script kiddies out.

(I am not on DSL, but cable.)

--
73 for now
Buck