Old May 31st 05, 10:19 PM
I'm NOT DON

Default problem with wireless bridge in workshop to home network

hi all,

running WINXP on a homebuilt athalon XP2600 setup.

i am trying to set up this motorola we800g bridge to my linksys
broadband router. for useage in my workshop to connect back to my
wireless house broadband.

1st problem...in setup
i can setup the moto we800g bridge to a pc, get it configured and then
reboot. in the setup of the bridge, it identifys my house network, and

it appears to configure itself for it and completes. (im not running
anything fancy..no security or encryption)
and i can access the bridge via the http://192.168.30.1 and surf all
around the bridge menu's no problem. the problem is that i cant surf
the net thru it on this one setup PC. the signal strength report of my

network is about 40% so thats more than enought to establisg a
connection. its like it all works but wont connect to the network.

if i can resolve this, i want to hook it to my linksys router to the
bridge so i can setup multiple ethernet shop computers to bridge over
to my home pc.

i have even tried setting up DHCP in the bridge but as soon as i click
restart it
hangs, and even if i reboot, then it wot work atall until i reset the
bridge

thanks
hamradioman2000

Old May 31st 05, 11:37 PM

Why do you need a bridge to connect your Win XP system to the Linksys
wireless router?

I've been directly connecting my Win XP Pro system to a Linksys
wireless router, which for the past 16 months has worked just fine.

Harry C.

Old June 1st 05, 04:15 AM
I'm NOT DON

ok heres a more expanded description of my setup

in my workshop i have several pcs running 98SE and i have several
ethernet appliances (munet electric meters) and instead of buying
wireless adapters for all of them, i want to use all thier existing
ethernet hardware and a spare wired router i have. the most cost
effective way to do this is set up a bridge in the workshop and connect
it to the WAN connection of the wired router and send all the shops
data thru the bridge over to my house.. i had a guy at dayton hamfest
explain how easy it would be to do it, and to the best of my abilities
i have done what he said. (i have a degree in electronics and computer
repair so i konw something about computers and networking), im just
still kinda new to the wireless side of things. i have played with usb
wireless G adapters in my house and they are soooooo easy to set up.
this guy at dayton said basically that you configure the bridge with
its software, let it find the network and finish config and it should
work. its frustrating because i can communicate with the bridge setup
web page but i cant surf the net thru it. and it sees my network at 40%
wich i should be able to atleast use a bridgea like a glorified usb
wireless adapter on one pc. hmmmmmmmmm......
i have had a wireless/wired network at home now for about a year with
minimal problems, its just real easy to setup. thats why this is
annoying me.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:09 AM

Just a suggestion since I haven't tried it, but have you considered
connecting the TCP/IP output from your computer to a hub, and then
connecting one port from the hub to the we800g to feed the ethernet
LAN, and another port of the hub to the Linksys router handing WAN
protocols? I've lost my copy of "Internetworking Using TCP/IP" but if I
recall correctly, LAN and WAN protocols are not directly compatible.
Perhaps all you need is a simple network hub to solve the problem,
since the we800g may be sifting out some of the data needed for
bidirectional WAN Internet connections.

For what it's worth I'm currently cable connected to a Linksys WRT54G
wireless router (driving 4 additional computers via wireless
links...wife, daughter, son, etc.) that is connected to a Linksys cable
modem for Comcast Internet access. My LJ4+ B/W printer is on a wireless
link from the router, as is a color printer on my daughters system plus
a flat-bed plotter located in another area of our home. I haven't owned
any strictly ethernet equipment in nearly 8 years.

Hope this helps. Harry C.

Old June 4th 05, 08:24 AM
I'm NOT DON

well,
i have tried just connecting the bridge to a 16 port hub that i have
connected to one of the 4 ports on the back of the router, and it didnt
seem to do anything different.

i was told that a bridge was able to be plugged into the WAN port (i
didnt get his email addr) he said he runs or had run that kind of setup
and it worked fine. i still cant get the router to work just on the
computer im setting it up on to surf the net. i can communicate to the
bridge all day long tho' when its directly connected to my pc ethernet
port for setup.

i either need to set up a static IP in the bridge that my router uses
or will allow me to use, or set the bridge for DHCP and have some way
to communicate with it once i reboot after the change, but i think
because its not getting a IP from the router that i dont have an IP to
log into the bridge with.

as another example....with the moto usb adapter i have, it got
configured for DHCP and it requests an IP and the router assigns it
one, then i can surf the net with the spare usb adapter. it seems the
bridge should be just as easy.