Old August 28th 05, 09:26 PM
No One You Know

Default Renewal notice from W5YI

WOW, W5YI is really or most hams are really dumb. Give him 6 bucks for
something I can do free on the internet.

Old August 28th 05, 10:35 PM
AMEN

"No One You Know" wrote in message
oups.com...
WOW, W5YI is really or most hams are really dumb. Give him 6 bucks for
something I can do free on the internet.

I did it the free way. But only after problems with FCC's computer system
and a couple of telephone calls. They had, and likely still have, bugs in
their system. If I considered my time worth anything, I would have paid the
$6. OM

Old August 29th 05, 01:38 PM
EJH

A friend got a $6 renewal notice so I offered to renew his License on
the internet for $0.00.

I also had my friend get the Renewal Form 605 from the FCC because he
preferred doing it via the mail rather than providing the information
online.

The Form required an FCC registration (FRN) so I told my friend to go
to the FCC site and follow a few simple steps to get his FRN.It turned
out to be a major project - requiring many emails and even phone calls
- to get my friend to do this simple job.

The actual process of renewing my friend's license online was simpler
than simple but the hassle and aggravation of trying to work with my
friend was a tremendous waste of time. It would have been easier and
cheaper for me to just give my friend $6 and let W5YI do the job.

It may seem stupid to pay someone $6 to renew a license but when people
aren't computer literature it can be very smart to pay someone $6.

Old August 29th 05, 01:54 PM
AMEN

"EJH" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
It may seem stupid to pay someone $6 to renew a license but when people
aren't computer literature it can be very smart to pay someone $6.

It was my opinion that whoever set up the FCC website should be more
computer literate. The FCC people really were helpful once I got through on
the telephone - although that wasn't a quick process either. OM

Old August 29th 05, 11:47 PM
John

AMEN wrote:
"EJH" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

It may seem stupid to pay someone $6 to renew a license but when people
aren't computer literature it can be very smart to pay someone $6.

It was my opinion that whoever set up the FCC website should be more
computer literate. The FCC people really were helpful once I got through on
the telephone - although that wasn't a quick process either. OM

You do know that if you are a member of the ARRL they will do it for you
for free - and send you a reminder before the renewal is due. They will
send you instructions on how to do it online, a form if you want to use
mail or a simple form to return to them and they will do it. Simple and
quick.
John

Old August 30th 05, 10:51 AM
EJH

John,
My friend is not a member of the ARRL but your comment should be very
helpful for many people who read this newsgroup.

EJH

Old August 30th 05, 02:59 AM
John Westerlage

EJH wrote:
[...]

Why would you put yourself through this hassle?

You can go to the following URL:

http://www.qrz.com/callsign

Enter the relevant callsign.

Then click on "Detailed Info."

One of the details is the FRN.

In addition, you can get the Form 605 at:

http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf

And, if you need the additional data schedule (for vanity calls) it's at:
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605d.pdf

Then your buddy would have everything he needed to do it by snail mail.
No pain, no strain.

vy 73 de john, N5DWI
Old August 30th 05, 12:23 PM
EJH

John Westerlage wrote:
EJH wrote:
[...]

Because I expected this to be a simple 5 minute job. I was also trying
to be a good guy and save my friend $6. The job was so simple I never
expected it to be a hassle but it was.

You can go to the following URL:

http://www.qrz.com/callsign

Enter the relevant callsign.

Then click on "Detailed Info."

One of the details is the FRN.

My friend didn't have an FRN so looking at the "Detailed Info" wouldn't
have been useful.

I gave my friend, who I thought was computer literature, simple
instructions to get an FRN but it turned out to be a major project for
him. Plus there was the issue of, my friend, deciding whether to do
this renewal online or via regular mail. My friend was also concerned
about entering personal information, such as, his Social Security
Number online so that added to the confusion.

In addition, you can get the Form 605 at:

http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf

This is good info for those who don't know they can get FCC Forms
online.
I printed the 11 page Form 605 on my printer but given my friend had to
wait 3 weeks to renew his license it was less complicated to just have
my friend get the form from the FCC.

And, if you need the additional data schedule (for vanity calls) it's at:
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605d.pdf

Then your buddy would have everything he needed to do it by snail mail.
No pain, no strain.

vy 73 de john, N5DWI

Let me try to share some information with others who may be renewing
their license in the future.
1. You need an FCC Registration Number(FRN) to renew you license. If
you don't have an FRN then you can go to the www.fcc.gov website and
get an FRN but you will have to enter your Social Security online to
get your FRN.You can also call the FCC and have them send you Form 160
(CORES Registration Form). You fill out that form that includes your SS
number and they will send you an FRN via regular mail. Then you can
fill out Form 605 and mail that back to the FCC. (Of course you can go
to www.fcc.gov and print out the Form 160 if you don't want to call the
FCC).

2. If you have a computer, it's a lot easier to get your FRN at the FCC
website. Renewing via Form 605 online is also simpler and less error
prone than filling out Form 605 by hand.

3. If you are a member of ARRL then you can have them do the renewal
process for you for $0.00. If that seems easier than doing it yourself.

4. Seven years ago I renewed my license online and it was so simple.
The new FCC online renewal process is different so there is a certain
learning curve - just to understand the new process. It's relatively
easy to do but it's not a 30 second exercise.

Keep in mind that renewing your Ham License is something that is done
once every 10 years. For some, who consider their time very valuable,
paying W5YI $6 - which is 60 cents a year - may be a bargain. Time is
money and $6 isn't a large sum of money to compensate W5YI for their
time.

Hopefully, my post will be helpful but the decision on the best way to
renew your license is your call.

EJH

Old August 30th 05, 09:37 AM
No One You Know

Well, I guess my biggest complaint is the SS number thing. I understand
(maybe) why the FCC may want/need this but NOT W5YI. I'll give him my
DL number too and a few credit cards and really make his day. I do
believe that if a ham is smart enough to pass even the dumbed down
newer tests then he/she could probably figure out how to renew.