Old March 12th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Jim

Default Armature radio's threat from within

wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:43:36 +1000, "Jim" jimshire1_no
spammy@iprimusdotcomdotau wrote:

Comments indispersed

... clipped

Opinion. AR appears to be largely irrelevant to Australian society and its
instrumentalities. Apart from some noticeable occasions when amateurs
assisted in emergencies, it always has been just a hobby pursued by a
group
of wierd misfits. (myself included We were geeks before the word was
invented. The difference is that today many in the ranks have no idea that
AR was once the hobby of gentlemen, kings and politicians. It was a level
playing field where one respected someone because they had been through
the
same hoops, irregardless of social standing, money or power. But that's
all
apparently ancient history.

... clipped

Unforunately true, but that's the way it is.

Does that mean that it should just be accepted ? It appears to me that the
cornerstone of amateur radio is the concept of friendship, especially with
newcomers. If that's ancient history then I'm outta here !

Perhaps the bright side
is that we should be grateful that the most heavily populated parts of
Australia aren't generally subject to the severe weather etc
conditions that make amateur radio emergency response capability such
an important community resource!

If the current problems within the amateur ranks are anything but minor, one
wonders about amateurs capabilities to respond to:
A large aircraft dropping into the centre of a capital city
Tsunami hitting the Gold Coast or other large cities
Terrorist activities
etc etc etc

Question. There used to be an advisory committee composed of amateurs who
sat down with the ACA and decided what action if any to take against
amateurs who stepped over the line. I wonder if such mechanisms still
exist
? If they don't then perhaps they should.

... clipped

Yes it does, it's called the WIA/ACMA Liaison Committee - details on
the WIA www-page. As punishment for past "crimes", yours truly is a
member.

To respond to other related posts, the first step is a "quiet word"
and if this doesn't work, then written record of date, time,
callsigns, etc submitted via the Liaison Committee and/or direct to
ACMA is step two. The ACMA do respond to documented persistent
problems, but without making a "Ben Hur" scale production of it all.

Thanks for that, it appears that some things are still working as they
should be )))))))

Finally, an observation, seems to me that many established operators
perhaps tend to ignore newcomers as a response to "f*&% off, old-fart"
reactions.

Many would only be repeating what they've said many times on other
frequencies unfortunately.

I had a whole host of amateurs assist me in so many ways after I got my
license , but that was many years ago and many are now silent keys. I still
have a great deal of respect for them.

When the new generation falls off its perch, I wonder if they'll be referred
to as silent mics ?)

Cheers
Jim
VK4BBG

Old March 13th 06, 08:47 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Straydog

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Caveat Lector wrote:

You could hear the same thing 30 years ago - always a few bad apples on the
bands.

I remember reading an editorial in QST decades ago complaining about bad
behavior, band language, bad operationg procedure.

On the side, I've been reading a lot of ancient history and medieval
history. There were a lot of comments written down by people about bad
language, lying, theiving, all manner of misbehaviors going back thousands
of years.

===== no change to below, included for reference and context =====

By in large, Amateur Radio Operators are very well behaved and courteous.

Why don't you tell us what they do doing emergencies instead of singling out
a few bad incidents ?

BTW an Armature can be found in motors and generators (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"bulfrog" wrote in message
Cosmo wrote:
I'm currently listening to 7.070Mhz. The time is 19:20EDT

I find the operations by some licensed amateurs and perhaps a pirate
station
is just appalling. Operators and I use the word loosely, making threats
at
each other, whistling over each other and discussing tracking operators
down
to sort them out!
It sounded like the 27Mhz CB band back in the mid seventies.

I can remember when amateurs took pride in their operating practices and
gentlemanly behaviour. If this what it is to become why would anyone be
attracted to the hobby unless perhaps they are an ignorant thugs. It
appears
to me and I know I will be condemned for this, but we seem to have
accepting
lower standards in more ways than we expected.

I believe that simply ignoring these operating practices and these
operators
will allow segments of the bands to become no go ghettos. A completely
unacceptable and un-Australian outcome.
I also believe that the looming threat to this great hobby come from
within
as mach as from outside forces, and there fore suggest that something
akin
to intruder watch be applied to monitoring amateur operations as I think
the
authorities response will be that we need to self regulate.

I am offering this observation for discussion and we be keen to see what
others think!

Cheers

Peter VK3YSF

Well the other night I heard an *F-call* threatening another amateur on
80mt . . then he read out his name and address just like you used to hear
on CB. And what he read out was obtainable on the ACMA website. Yes we
have taken a big step backwards.

Old May 9th 06, 08:37 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dave Hildebrand

Something tells me that this didn't begin in Southern California, although
we've been accused of it the last thirty years (and then some). The banter
on this NNTP-feed sounds so familiar, I almost feel as though I know
everyone here!!!

HF bands, like any other band when popular (i.e. skip, et al) get crowded,
and hams "electronically-elbow" each other at times. (Yes, people were
more polite once upon a time.)

Best thing to do is stay out of each other's ways -- in Los Angeles, we
have one main (2m) repeater where people "do their thing," and the users
of other repeaters usually lock that frequency (147.435 MHz) out of their
radios, for fear that their ears may fall off. Many HF locals here know
each other by their VHF personas, and it can be downhill from there.

If anyone finds such a repeater or user group objectionable, then consider
not having a toilet. (No loo = poo.) Some hams need playgrounds, and we
should all be glad that they're the

http://www.435.org

HF, unfortunately doesn't have any such groups as of yet to confine their
activities to any particular place. (To my knowledge, anyway. Though the
AMers of yore had some solidarity against the SSBers.)

Repeaters are communities ("virtual communities" of perhaps the oldest
electronic network still in existance), and therefore, have their own
"community standards." And ham radio is also a hobby that we've probably
all taken too seriously at times. 73s, all...

....Dave, N6BHU

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Graeme Koch wrote:

I have also heard this same type of behaviour on a Melbourne repeater just 3
days back and it involved 2 full call operators at first, then another
operator joined them and tried to quell the situation but without any luck.
I myself have just joined the amateur ranks and was very disapointed to hear
this sort of thing happening, this is something I would have expected to
hear on the CB bands, but not on amateur radio. I can only hope this was an
isolated incident as I achieved my licence to get away from this type of
activity.

Cheers and 73`s to all.

Graeme VK3FTTG
u...

Old May 23rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Big Al

Dave I hate to tell you but we have one in Vancovuer, Canada as well. So
it's not just Southern California that has the problem with fowl mouth
operators. I was making adelivery in Vancouver, British Columbia when I
dialed into one of the local 2 meter repeaters and I couldn't believe my
ears. The language was so fowl that I've removed that frequency from all my
radios. Like yourself I though I was listening to the CB in the truck in
stead of a amateur radio repeater. I'm a truck drive and ruff language is
part of the trade, but not on the air ways and least of not on amateur
radio. I've been involved with amateur radio for 43 years and yes I had a CB
license back when we had to pay for them too. In the old days it was a
required item in a truck and it still is if you do the I-5 corridor from the
Canadian border down and back once a week. Let's face California produce is
a hot commodity in Canada, we don't grow oranges up here, something to do
with the misquitoes the size of humming birds, hi hi.
But like your problem in southern Cal, we have almost the same thing in
souther BC, sadly do say. I remember when this paticular repeater VE7RAG use
to be the one to have good contacts on. For an old truck driver it was a God
sent when I couldn't find the place I had to deliver too, all it took was a
"anyone know where this place is" and my call and I would have people
climbing all over each other to tell you where and how to get to it. But
now, forget it, the polite curtious operators have all but given up on this
repeater. I can only hope they clean it up before 2010 when the Winter
Olympics are on, it would not be a nice picture to paint for our hobby and
for Canada's reputation either.
I remember the days when you didn't dare make a mistake and let a swear word
out over the air. You would get a citation in the mail registered and a
knock on your door by DOC (Canadian version of the FCC) to inspect your
station. Too many budget cuts have turned our hobby into the next CB band(s)
I'm sad to say.

73 all...de ve7agw
Al

"Dave Hildebrand" wrote in message
enga.com...
[...]

u...

Old May 23rd 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
an old friend

Big Al wrote:
Dave I hate to tell you but we have one in Vancovuer, Canada as well. So

I remember the days when you didn't dare make a mistake and let a swear word
out over the air. You would get a citation in the mail registered and a
knock on your door by DOC (Canadian version of the FCC) to inspect your
station. Too many budget cuts have turned our hobby into the next CB band(s)
I'm sad to say.

nice to hear that the ARS is chatching up a bit to reality if ever did
cath up that would certainly imporve its chnaces of surviving

73 all...de ve7agw
Al

Old May 23rd 06, 01:17 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc

ass****ed by an old friend wrote:

nice to hear that the ARS is chatching up a bit to reality if ever did
cath up that would certainly imporve its chnaces of surviving

What do you care, all you can get is the training weheel no code tech,
loser.

wtd: EF Johnson Challenger Mobile Radios and Remote Heads D. Schmidt Equipment 2 December 9th 09 01:19 PM
Radios On Sale Jmap702 Swap 0 March 30th 04 03:17 PM
export cb radios I Am Not George Policy 12 March 30th 04 12:44 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Swap 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
wtd: EF Johnson Challenger Mobile Radios and Remote Heads D. Schmidt Equipment 0 November 25th 03 10:11 PM