Old May 28th 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default A Homebrewer's Blog

I have started a blog on homebrewing at straightkey.blogspot.com. The
first post discusses setting up a Homebrew lab.
I would love to have everybody's comments.
- farhan

Old May 29th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:
I have started a blog on homebrewing at straightkey.blogspot.com. The
first post discusses setting up a Homebrew lab.
I would love to have everybody's comments.

Here's mine but you probably won't like them.

What is the point of a blog? What does it do but detract from this
group? I went there, read your interesting dissertation and would have
commented but for having to sign up and putz with a web based format
that is much less convenient than usenet or even yahoo.

Furthermore, unless you know some magic, you will never get more than a
hand full participants.

I concur will all you said and find that the most interesting aspect of
my renaissance in ham radio is being able to afford to buy real test
equipment. Everything I did in my first life was with a barely usable
multimeter, light bulbs on links and pencils for drawing arcs on RF nodes.

One thing that took me by surprise was the change in solder to the
extent that I could hardly perform this most necessary craft when I ran
out of 50 year old solder and bought a new roll.

It seems that Ralph Nader has barfed up this craft also. After finding
a roll of real solder with tin and lead, things got a lot better. It
still does not tin as neatly as the old stuff and most importantly, does
not have that good old aroma that I recall from childhood.

I presume that what ever the current flux is, it just does not work or
smell like rosin.

Any thoughts?

Jack K9ACT

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm

Old May 29th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

What is the point of a blog? What does it do but detract from this group?
I went there, read your interesting dissertation and would have commented
but for having to sign up and putz with a web based format that is much
less convenient than usenet or even yahoo.

Sounds like the rumblings of a grumpy, stodgy old fart!

A blog is a very good venue for posting information that's dynamic and
frequently updated. It's a good hybrid between a very focused
special-interest newsgroup and a full-blown web site. It's easy for the
author to update frequently and It allows a measure of interaction between
the writer and the readers. It can contain graphic images and file content
that newsgroups and news readers don't want to be bothered with. It's
especially good for chronicalling daily progress on projects and other
regular postings that a newsgroup might find to be tedious and arcane. You
don't have to register yourself if you just want to read it, so I'm not sure
what the 'convenience' ran't is about.

A blog definitely has a 'point', and a homebrewer's blog written by someone
with Farhan's credentials definitely has a place and a value. Keep up the
good work Farhan.

Joe
W3JDR

Old June 2nd 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

W3JDR wrote:

Sounds like the rumblings of a grumpy, stodgy old fart!

Could be but the rumblings happen to be my opinion and the man asked for
opinions.

No matter how wonderful a blog could be, the problem still remains of
getting people to read them. Everyone knows how to find interest groups
on usenet and yahoo but how the hell does anyone find his blog a week
after he announces it? It vanishes into the blogosphere. There are
millions of them (perhaps billions) out there but only a minuscule
fraction of that number with any following at all and even fewer with
lots of readers.

His key words would be "home brewing".... Google it and see how long it
takes to find him unless you happen to know his name but that's
cheating. Actually, you will find hundreds of sites that sell our beer
making equipment before you get to any ham radio sites.

I did it and cheated. Turns out he has lots of web pages so it makes
the blog even more pointless. How is it any better than a web page?
The one or two comments certainly do not justify the extra work... does it?

js

Old June 3rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

.....how the hell does anyone find his blog a week, after he announces it?
-----------------------

If you're interested in what he has to say, then you could bookmark in your
browser's 'Favorites', it or put it on your browser's 'Links' bar, or set up
a browser Tab for it. I follow several blogs this way. Of course, if you're
not interested in following it, or if he doesn't keep it fresh enough to
sustain interest in it, then either it will die or you'll remove the browser
references to it. That's sort of how blogs work.

Joe
W3JDR

Old June 4th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"W3JDR" wrote in message
.....how the hell does anyone find his blog a week, after he announces
it?

-----------------------

If you're interested in what he has to say, then you could bookmark in
your browser's 'Favorites', it or put it on your browser's 'Links' bar, or
set up a browser Tab for it. I follow several blogs this way. Of course,
if you're not interested in following it, or if he doesn't keep it fresh
enough to sustain interest in it, then either it will die or you'll remove
the browser references to it. That's sort of how blogs work.

Joe
W3JDR

Most of the blogs I have found and keep up with I have discovered through
announcements on usenets and bookmark them.

New Blog me General 0 February 11th 07 05:49 PM
Odd what is going at this blog Curious Policy 1 November 24th 06 01:38 AM
SW blog 6HGE4J Shortwave 0 October 15th 06 01:36 AM
Get Help lurns to Blog an_old_freind CB 0 July 1st 06 10:08 AM
K1man Blog John Johnston Policy 0 August 16th 05 03:08 AM