Old October 31st 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default ARRL Homebrew Challenge

Scott wrote:
Part of the reason might be that building piece by piece is getting
pretty expensive for what you end up with. For $700 or so, you can buy
a radio that works all the HF bands plus 6, 2 and 432 with all kinds of
features. Try homebrewing that for $700... Seems that most stuff
homebrewed these days is station accessory equipment that just makes
some task around the shack a little more convenient (I'm guilty of this
as well). I do still hombrew all of my own antennas

======================================
I fully support that approach . Station accessories can often be easily
home-brewed as can simple QRP equipment , and usually at very modest
cost . All wire type of antennas can be readily home-brewed as well at
minimal cost using 'alternative' materials for insulators ,etc.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old November 2nd 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 2007-10-29, John Tartar wrote:
Well $50 is definitely Do-Able, for a SSB/CW radio.

If you were mass-producing a kit, it should be easy. The challenge (back
when I read it) made it sound like it had to be buildable with printed
instructions and $50. If you have to buy everything in single unit
quantities and make your own PCB (or build ugly/Manhattan, a challenge
that would seem more formidable than $50 to many new hams) then it's
hard to squeeze everything in. How many tinkerers have any idea how
much it would really cost to build one of their creations? They probably
built most of it from the junkbox.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 5th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 2007-10-29, Scott wrote:
Part of the reason might be that building piece by piece is getting
pretty expensive for what you end up with. For $700 or so, you can buy
a radio that works all the HF bands plus 6, 2 and 432 with all kinds of
features. Try homebrewing that for $700... Seems that most stuff
homebrewed these days is station accessory equipment that just makes
some task around the shack a little more convenient (I'm guilty of this
as well). I do still hombrew all of my own antennas

While I agree that $700 is quite reasonable for an all-band rig, there
actually _are_ people for whom $700 is an unreasonable investment in their
hobby. It isn't as important for them to actually operate on every band
all at once, it's more important that they find a reasonably priced entry
point into the hobby. Listening to the bands, it is sometimes hard to
imagine that there are still hams who operate with a budget of less than
$3000, and still manage to have fun doing so.

But more important is the simple fact is that I learn more by building
than by buying. If ham radio is really more than simply a glorified
Citizen's Band, we are supposed to be educating and training outselves
both to serve the public and to better our own understanding of radio and
the radio arts. I think any attempt to make experimentation of that
sort more accessible to the broad population of hams should be applauded.

Mark KF6KYI

Scott
N0EDV

geek wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:10:27 +0000, John Tartar wrote:

The deadline for the ARRL homebrew challenge has passed and I hear that the
ARRL received 4 entries, all NO computer radios. NONE were in the computer
assisted category. Publication is scheduled for Feb 2008 QST

A Yahoo group was started to discuss developments.

Some of the entrants have posting info about their entries there.

Four entries? This does not bode well for the hobby :-(

IMHO, building at least some of your own stuff should be a prerequisite
for the license.

Cheers,
__
Gregg

Old November 6th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Listening to the bands, it is sometimes hard to
imagine that there are still hams who operate with a budget of less than
$3000, and still manage to have fun doing so.

You're joking, right? I think if you took a survey of 25 or so hams here (or
in most other ham venues for that matter), you'd have a very difficult time
finding even a few who have anything close to $3,000 invested in their
hobby. Pile on me if I'm wrong guys, but pile on if I'm right too.

Joe
W3JDR

. org...

Old November 6th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I'm guessing I have somewhere around $3000 invested over the 25 years in
the hobby...let me do some rough math...Kenwood 520S $300, Kenwood
690SAT $1500, Yaesu 857 $600, Astron 35A power supply $250, MFJ 1278
Multimode Controller $300, Cushcraft A50-5S $150...am I there yet?
Countless PL-259, N connectors, LMR400 coax, etc. BUT, I certainly know
anyone can get by with a lot less investment. The key is investment
over time. If I take my $3000 over 25 years, it only averages
$120/year...pretty cheap for a hobby. I fly as another hobby and I can
tell you that it costs more than $120 a year!

Scott
N0EDV

geek wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:10:27 +0000, John Tartar wrote:

The deadline for the ARRL homebrew challenge has passed and I hear that
the
ARRL received 4 entries, all NO computer radios. NONE were in the
computer
assisted category. Publication is scheduled for Feb 2008 QST

A Yahoo group was started to discuss developments.

Some of the entrants have posting info about their entries there.

Four entries? This does not bode well for the hobby :-(

IMHO, building at least some of your own stuff should be a prerequisite
for the license.

Cheers,
__
Gregg

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

Old November 6th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 6, 2:14 am, "W3JDR" wrote:
Listening to the bands, it is sometimes hard to
imagine that there are still hams who operate with a budget of less than
$3000, and still manage to have fun doing so.

You're joking, right? I think if you took a survey of 25 or so hams here (or
in most other ham venues for that matter), you'd have a very difficult time
finding even a few who have anything close to $3,000 invested in their
hobby. Pile on me if I'm wrong guys, but pile on if I'm right too.

Joe
W3JDR

That brought back a beautiful image from when I first got my license.
A couple of other teens in the same town got their licenses at the
same time. One, in particular, was on limited means. Very limited
means. I remember going over to his house and being very happy for
him that he was working all over the place on 15M CW, using a little
one-tube regen receiver, parts scrounged from somewhere. And I see no
reason you can't do the same sort of thing today, on CW at least.
Both the receiver and the transmitter can be simple and still be
effective.

Cheers,
Tom

Old November 6th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

You can easily dump $3,000 into a single, contemporary, mid-range "box". I
don't even look at the catalogs or QST any more for this stuff which is
large, at least two big knobs, severa dozen other knobs/switches, and
panadapter screen with fancy-schmantzy readout (digital send VFO freq,
receive VFO freq, bandwidth graphics, etc).

But, over the last 30 years, yes, in total I easily dumped more than $3K
into several VHF rigs, one UHF rig, several handi-talkies, a number of
solid state HF rigs, amplifiers, old retro tube gear, some antennas
(beams), rotators, SWR meters, antenna tuners....it all adds up. Easily,
quickly.

Now, a guy can --it is possible--get on the air with something like a used
TS-520 (good basic HF rig) dipole, coax, microphone, all bare minimum, for
less than $500, maybe even less (520s maybe down to $250 these days,
depending on how badly a guy wants to sell his). Me, yes, I have a 520
and an old Icom 707 (bought at a ham store for $400, and it is vintage
entry level simple broadband rig from at least 20 years ago). And, a
couple of boatanchors.

===== no change to below, included for reference and context =====