Old July 22nd 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default the great heatsink search

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
Pete KE9OA wrote:
start he

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....N=1323038&No=0

if you know the parameters of the heat sink in question, a search through
these pages on the Mouser website should give you what you need. there are
several pages to go through, so you do have your work cut out for you!

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are zillions
of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006 handbook
and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save the heatsink.
It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA amp as well. Anyone
have this beast in the junk bin or know of a purveyor who might?? I've
scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink is an AAVID part (#244609B02).
Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao

Thanks for the advice. Mouser very nearly had a replacement. The unit has
horizontal fins instead of vertical and as my application is convection-only,
this likely tips the balance on effectiveness (safety).
Did find another site and it looks like a good one. It's Nebraska Sales and
Surplus. I've purchased from them before and have no complaints. Thanks again
for the quick replies.

Gary

I don't have a copy or the 2006 handbook, so I can't visualize the heatsink that
you're looking for. Low resistance heatsinks are usually made from extrusions
and can be any of a number of designs.
Is there a photo in the article that shows the heatsink? Possible for you to
post a scan of it on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic? Also, the dimensions
of the heatsink would help to find a substitute and source.
If you're in or near the central Florida area, Skycraft usually has a couple
bins of heavy heatsinks that might suit the job. I bought a couple that
calculates to about 0.5 degC/watt each about a year ago. Last time I was in the
store (in February this year), they still had about 10 of them on the shelf.

You mentioned that it was also used on the FARA amp. Is there a link to a web
page that describes (hopefully with a photo) the amp?

Cheers!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want

Old July 22nd 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Oh, that's ok Gary. I hope you find the one you are looking for. Most of
that stuff from Surplus Sales of Nebraska came from the Inventory Disposal
sale from Rockwell-Collins, which means that it is of good quality.

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 22nd 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Oh, that's ok Gary. I hope you find the one you are looking for. Most of
that stuff from Surplus Sales of Nebraska came from the Inventory Disposal
sale from Rockwell-Collins, which means that it is of good quality.

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks one and all for the suggestions. Started soldering this evening
so there's no turning back...

Gary
Old July 23rd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Gary wrote:
Pete KE9OA wrote:
Oh, that's ok Gary. I hope you find the one you are looking for. Most of
that stuff from Surplus Sales of Nebraska came from the Inventory Disposal
sale from Rockwell-Collins, which means that it is of good quality.

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

I've found several good heatsinks and power supplies at Goodwill. I
purchased an old stereo amp that had 6 100 watt channels. The last one
I bought cost less than $20. I am really surprised at the way people
cast things like this off. It is now the heart of my home
entertainment system.

Jimmie
Old July 24th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

Gary wrote:
Pete KE9OA wrote:
Oh, that's ok Gary. I hope you find the one you are looking for. Most of
that stuff from Surplus Sales of Nebraska came from the Inventory Disposal
sale from Rockwell-Collins, which means that it is of good quality.

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

\

Don't forget old land mobile radios like MASTR II, Mitrek or SyntorX for
some heat sinks with great thermal mass. You may need some metalworking
tools to cut off and smooth down the mating area neded for your device
layout.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old July 24th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:36:31 -0700, Gary wrote:

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Oh, that's ok Gary. I hope you find the one you are looking for. Most of
that stuff from Surplus Sales of Nebraska came from the Inventory Disposal
sale from Rockwell-Collins, which means that it is of good quality.

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I found a copy of the article that you're building. If it's the same
article that's in the 2007 handbook (titled "A Broadband HF Amplifier Using
Low-cost MOSFETs" bu WA2EBY), then maybe I can help with the heatsink.
I found a photo in the article that shows pretty clearly the heatsink as mounted
on the rear of the chassis. I'm guessing at the dimensions of the rear panel of
the chassis. The box is given as 3.5x6x8, but it's hard to conclude whether the
rear panel is 3.5x6 or 3.5x8.
I assumed the rear panel to be 3.5x8, did a bit of extrapolation and estimated
the size of the heatsink to be approximately 5.5" wide, 2.75" tall, 1.25" fin
height.
Newark shows a heatsink meeting those measurements (approximately) at
http://www.newark.com/54M0782/fans-h...ik-sk-85-75-sa,
and appears to be in stock. The given measurements for that heatsink are 160mm
wide, 75mm tall and 40mm fin height, with a thermal resistance of 1.2 degC/watt.
No clear area in the middle, so you'll likely have to drill & tap the base to
mount the transistors.

The heatsink itself is reasonable enough, but the caveat is that it's stocked in
the UK and drop shipped from there, with a $20 handling fee.

I stopped searching when I found that heatsink, so you might do a more thorough
search using those approximate measurements and find something suitable, and
less expensive.

Cheers!!!

Dave M