Old February 13th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Looking for voltmeter kit

Hello all of you
I am in the process of completing the "power supply of my dream".
One of the problem i meet is the meetering.
I would like to use a digital voltmeter (those with red led). I
alwready use the LCD volmeter but i dont like them. They are way too
much sensitive to static, they dont really produce a bright display
and they dont seem to like to have volt on their input when they are
off.

Does anyone could point me to some kit for that purpose.
I have room on the face plate for two of them (5 cmx2cm)

I am not sure the second one for amp would be usefull. Amp change very
rapidly and maybe there is another way to measure them.

72/73 de Jean(VE2GHI)
Old February 13th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jean" wrote in message
Hello all of you
I am in the process of completing the "power supply of my dream".
One of the problem i meet is the meetering.
I would like to use a digital voltmeter (those with red led). I
alwready use the LCD volmeter but i dont like them. They are way too
much sensitive to static, they dont really produce a bright display
and they dont seem to like to have volt on their input when they are
off.

Does anyone could point me to some kit for that purpose.
I have room on the face plate for two of them (5 cmx2cm)

I am not sure the second one for amp would be usefull. Amp change very
rapidly and maybe there is another way to measure them.

72/73 de Jean(VE2GHI)

Marlin P Jones in N Palm FL has what you need.
mpja.com (?)

Dale W4OP

Old February 17th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 12, 7:19*pm, Jean wrote:
Hello all of you
I am in the process of completing the "power supply of my dream".
One of the problem i meet is the meetering.
I would like to use a digital voltmeter (those with red led). I
alwready use the LCD volmeter but i dont like them. They are way too
much sensitive to static, they dont really produce a bright display
and they dont seem to like to have volt on their input when they are
off.

LCD displays may be more viewable than LED in sunlight.

LCD displays are available with backlights for use in dim
environments.

There are both LCD and LED panel meters available but they use very
similar chipsets so I'm not sure "too much sensitive to static" would
be true for one but not the other.

Does anyone could point me to some kit for that purpose.
I have room on the face plate for two of them (5 cmx2cm)

Go to Digikey and search for "LED panel meter".

I am not sure the second one for amp would be usefull. Amp change very
rapidly and maybe there is another way to measure them.

For rapidly varying quantities nothing beats a good old analog meter.

For slowly changing quantities you need to know to 4 decimal places
nothing beats a digital meter.

Sometimes digital meters are supplemented with a bargraph type display
to show rapid changes graphically.

Tim N3QE
Old February 20th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 12, 7:19*pm, Jean wrote:
Hello all of you
I am in the process of completing the "power supply of my dream".
One of the problem i meet is the meetering.
I would like to use a digital voltmeter (those with red led). I
alwready use the LCD volmeter but i dont like them. They are way too
much sensitive to static,

Hey OM
I don't think it's all about static per say. But the high input
impedance you have to worry about I seen those things going up to 200
meg input, just looking at it would change the potential across a 200
meg input.
There's other cons about LCD like if it gets cold forget it, those
liquid crystals just don't want to do their thing, when exposed to the
energizing electric field at low temps. Sure you can get back lite
LCD's but what happens when the back lite burns out?
I like LED displays but even then you are going to want to swamp down
the meter input with like 1000 ohms.

73 OM
de n8zu

Help with Vector Voltmeter measurements David[_4_] Equipment 1 November 3rd 07 03:52 AM
Voltmeter question... Guy Shortwave 3 January 12th 05 04:21 AM
HP 8405A Vector Voltmeter Harold E. Johnson Equipment 2 December 19th 03 01:09 AM
HP 8405A Vector Voltmeter Harold E. Johnson Equipment 0 December 18th 03 09:06 PM
FA: WESTON 0-300 DC VOLTMETER K6ME Boatanchors 0 November 16th 03 06:08 AM