Old March 12th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Magnetic Amplifiers

I would like to experiment with some magnetic amplifier circuits but I
havent been able to find any practical circuits I could build. I am
interested in relalitively small signal amplification of AF and
possibly ultrasonic frequencies purely for educational purpose. I have
a couple of transformers and wan to see what I can do with them.

Jimmie

Old March 12th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
I would like to experiment with some magnetic amplifier circuits but I
havent been able to find any practical circuits I could build. I am
interested in relalitively small signal amplification of AF and
possibly ultrasonic frequencies purely for educational purpose. I have
a couple of transformers and wan to see what I can do with them.

I've seen this discussed on sci.electronics.design, and there are
probably folk there who can help you.

Clifford Heath, VK3CLF.
Old March 12th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 12, 4:50�pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I would like to experiment with some magnetic amplifier circuits but I
havent been able to find any practical circuits I could build. I am
interested in relalitively small signal amplification of �AF and
possibly ultrasonic frequencies purely for educational purpose. I have
a couple of transformers and wan to see what I can do with them.

Jimmie

Jimmie, download "Magnetic Amplifiers" by Paul Mali. Google and it is
free. I mentioned this in the HV SMPS thread. This is the only text
I have ever read on Mag. Amps, and it is good. Should give you ideas
for experimentation.

Gary N4AST
Old March 13th 09, 09:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 12, 5:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I would like to experiment with some magnetic amplifier circuits but I
havent been able to find any practical circuits I could build. I am
interested in relalitively small signal amplification of AF and
possibly ultrasonic frequencies purely for educational purpose. I have
a couple of transformers and wan to see what I can do with them.

Jimmie

Hey OM:

I can see a great linear amp antenna output switch. I've been looking
for a cheap way to switch all that power and vacuum relays I don't
have in my junk box. I do have some T200's and FT240's. Using a small
DC voltage to saturate the core on and off, making the output coil
switch from a milli ohm resistance to thousands of ohms of impedance.
Sweet.
I know mag amps were used in audio applications, I can see a QRP rig
with no transistors or tubes. Using just toroids.
73 OM

de n8zu
Old March 13th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 13, 5:54*am, raypsi wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

My experience with them has been limited to pulse amplifiers but I was
under the impression that they could also be used in a linear mode, at
least it seems I heard that some where. It would be neat to have a
stereo amp with no tubes or transistors. As far as QRP goes I dont
think they work well above 1 Mhz but that was best info I had 40 years
ago. With new core mixes it may be possible.

Jimmie

Old March 14th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote in :
On Mar 13, 5:54?am, raypsi wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

I worked on gear that used them when I was in the USAF. Pretty neat way
to regulate a DC PS.

--
When I hit a *nix workstation with an axe, I'm interacting with it.
It's not necessarily the sort of interaction contemplated by the

Magnetic fields art Antenna 13 January 7th 08 04:04 PM
Magnetic Loop !!! Lee Antenna 32 October 2nd 05 11:53 PM
(OT) Magnetic Energy Perhaps? [email protected] Shortwave 2 September 10th 05 01:18 AM
Magnetic Loops Adrian Scripca YO8SSW Antenna 7 May 18th 05 10:45 PM