Old June 30th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Parasitic Oscillation

Even though it does not appear on the schematic diagram, every tube-type
HF amplifier has a resonant circuit in its anode circuitry that resonates
somewhere in the VHF region. This called a parasitic resonance. Whenever
the DC anode current changes, the parasitic circuit rings - much like a
struck bell and generates a smallish damped wave signal at the VHF
resonance point. - note - this is the same principle that enabled spark
transmtters to produce RF from a DC source.
Since all tubes have feedback C between the output (anode) and the input
(cathode for cathode-driven and grid for grid driven), the damped-wave VHF
signal is amplified - whereupon some of the amplified signal can be
fedback again and re-amplified -- resulting in oscillation. Because
tube gain is pettty much tube-transconductance x the resistive load (RL)
on the anode, one way to reduce the chance of VHF oscillation is to
artifically reduce the VHF gain of the tube by lowering the VHF-RL
presented to the anode by the parasitic resonance. This is done by
decreasing the VHF-Q of the parasitic resonance circuit. In other words,
to decrease Q, increase R. Traditionally this has been done by winding a
Cu wire coil around a carbon-comp resistor and soldering the coil in
parallel with the resistor. In a typical 2. 3-500Z amplifier this
configuration produces a Q of c. 5 at 100MHz. Misfortunately a Q of 5 is
not quite low enough to reduce VHF gain enough so that oscillation can not
be sustained It apparently takes a Q of 2 at 100MHz to achieve
acceptable VHF stability. One way to decrease Q involves exchanging the
highly-conductive Cu wire for highly-resistive Ni-Cr wire This simple
change results in a Q of c. 2 at 100MHz as measured on a HP 4191A
Z-analyzer. By using two Ni-Cr VHF suppressors per 2-500z, Q can be
further reduced to c. 1.5.
- end

--
Richard L. Measures. 805-386-3734,AG6K, www.somis.org
Old July 1st 10, 09:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

.. *Misfortunately a Q of 5 is
not quite low enough to reduce VHF gain enough so that oscillation can not
be sustained *It apparently takes a Q of *2 at 100MHz to achieve
acceptable VHF stability. *One way to decrease Q involves exchanging the
highly-conductive Cu wire for highly-resistive Ni-Cr wire * This simple
change results in a Q of c. 2 at 100MHz as measured on a HP 4191A
Z-analyzer. * *By using *two Ni-Cr *VHF suppressors per 2-500z, Q can be
further reduced to c. 1.5.
- *end

--
Richard L. Measures. 805-386-3734,AG6K,www.somis.org

Hey OM:

When I made a living selling tubes, my fav best method of stopping VHF
parasitic oscillations was when the transconductance went kaput from
the little grid wire overheating and burning out. I made a living off
of parasitics.

sum gr8 articles on your website too OM.

73,
de n8zu.

Old July 2nd 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article
,
raypsi wrote:

. =A0Misfortunately a Q of 5 is
not quite low enough to reduce VHF gain enough so that oscillation can no=

be sustained =A0It apparently takes a Q of =A02 at 100MHz to achieve
acceptable VHF stability. =A0One way to decrease Q involves exchanging th=

highly-conductive Cu wire for highly-resistive Ni-Cr wire =A0 This simple
change results in a Q of c. 2 at 100MHz as measured on a HP 4191A
Z-analyzer. =A0 =A0By using =A0two Ni-Cr =A0VHF suppressors per 2-500z, Q=

can be
further reduced to c. 1.5.
- =A0end

--
Richard L. Measures. 805-386-3734,AG6K,www.somis.org

Hey OM:

When I made a living selling tubes, my fav best method of stopping VHF
parasitic oscillations was when the transconductance went kaput from
the little grid wire overheating and burning out. I made a living off
of parasitics.

** chortle. And apparently so was Eimac since the Eimac markeing
rep,,Reid Brandon, reportedly complained to QST that I should never have
been told by Eimac engineer Willis B. Foote that 8877s can be damaged by
gold plating evaporating off the 8877's grid during an "oscillation
condition".

sum gr8 articles on your website too OM.

** Tnx Ray. 73

73,
de n8zu.

--
Richard L. Measures. AG6K, 805-386-3734, www.somis.org
Old July 3rd 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Glad to see you here Rich. I have learned a lot from you in your articles &
your great help on the phone with my 3-500 amps that I couldn't stop a
parasitic in. Your kit you sent me along with a lot of literature cured that
amp & the suppressors don't burn up . Amps runs full out on 160 thru 10
mtrs. Again thanks for your help.

Old July 3rd 10, 11:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article , "Howard K0ACF"
wrote:

Glad to see you here Rich. I have learned a lot from you in your articles &
your great help on the phone with my 3-500 amps that I couldn't stop a
parasitic in. Your kit you sent me along with a lot of literature cured that
amp & the suppressors don't burn up . Amps runs full out on 160 thru 10
mtrs. Again thanks for your help.

• ur welcome Howard. 73

Old July 3rd 10, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

The character 95 you seem to be fond of is not part of the character
set you use for your news postings.
Old July 3rd 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article , Rob
wrote:

95 R. L. Measures. wrote:

The character 95 you seem to be fond of is not part of the character
set you use for your news postings.

** I did not send 95. I use a UNIX-based operating system. If you
were using a UNIX based OS you would see what I actually write Rob. cheers

--
Richard L. Measures. AG6K, 805-386-3734, www.somis.org
Old July 3rd 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

95 R. L. Measures. wrote:
In article , Rob
wrote:

95 R. L. Measures. wrote:

The character 95 you seem to be fond of is not part of the character
set you use for your news postings.

** I did not send 95. I use a UNIX-based operating system. If you
were using a UNIX based OS you would see what I actually write Rob. cheers

I am using Linux. But I guess that does not count as a UNIX based OS.

Check what is in your fullname config setting. There is a character
with hex value 95 there. But you don't have the matching character set
header that is supposed to tell what that character should mean.

(without a character set header, the default character set is 7-bit ASCII
which does not include 95)
Old July 3rd 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
(• R. L. Measures.) wrote:

If you
were using a UNIX based OS you would see what I actually write

Richard-

Is it the OS, or is it the font?

I see a • character that may be different from what you see. What font
are you using?

Fred
K4DII

Circular Parasitic Asimov Antenna 22 September 18th 13 09:10 PM
help with EZNEC and a parasitic vertical antenna Rob Brown Antenna 0 October 13th 05 12:27 AM
WTB - 2 Watt carbon Resistors for Parasitic Chokes Eg9k Swap 2 January 6th 05 03:28 AM
Amplifier Oscillation Chris Homebrew 9 September 9th 04 08:35 PM
Parasitic question ARDUJENSKI Antenna 7 October 30th 03 05:02 PM