Old May 25th 14, 01:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Winding coils?

Has the era of winding one's own coils passed into history?

I remember in about 1965, or so, only knowing the word, "former"
in the context of "latter" and "former" and having a strange conversation
with Mr.Bullough in one of the local radio shops as the result.

But, the result was advice to wind the coils on a tube from the Ajax
range of kitchen scourers, and Mr.Bullough sold me quite a bit of DCC
wire with which to wind.

(And deep in the junk box from a silent key sale from some years ago, I have
a reel of silk covered!)

Mr.Bullough's claim to fame was that as a lad he charged the batteries for
Marconi's
experiments at Weston-Super-Mare.

Anybody remember the chemical "Nodon Valve", a form of home-produced wet
rectifier for rectifying the mains used in them thar days?

Old May 25th 14, 03:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 25/05/2014 13:52, gareth wrote:
Has the era of winding one's own coils passed into history?

I remember in about 1965, or so, only knowing the word, "former"
in the context of "latter" and "former" and having a strange conversation
with Mr.Bullough in one of the local radio shops as the result.

But, the result was advice to wind the coils on a tube from the Ajax
range of kitchen scourers, and Mr.Bullough sold me quite a bit of DCC
wire with which to wind.

(And deep in the junk box from a silent key sale from some years ago, I have
a reel of silk covered!)

Mr.Bullough's claim to fame was that as a lad he charged the batteries for
Marconi's
experiments at Weston-Super-Mare.

Anybody remember the chemical "Nodon Valve", a form of home-produced wet
rectifier for rectifying the mains used in them thar days?

The design for the first ATU I was supplied with was described as "wind
60 turns on a bog roll holder". Once I started to use them for Txing I
moved to ceramic formers.

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Old May 26th 14, 05:54 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

A. non Eyemouse wrote:

The design for the first ATU I was supplied with was described as "wind
60 turns on a bog roll holder". Once I started to use them for Txing I
moved to ceramic formers.

In America we called them toilet paper rolls or toilet paper cores. I
still look longingly at them when I throw them out.

I did however wind a few coils yesterday for an active antenna. They were
would from hookup wire I had around, and Soviet made 10 inch ferrite rods.

I measured the inductance with this little Chinese made component meter,
identifier and ESR meter that I got for $20 off of eBay. No box, connectors
hard to use, but it works.

Geoff.

Winding coils Howard Homebrew 4 March 16th 06 11:38 PM
Winding coils can be fun. Homebrew types pay attention... m II Shortwave 3 January 30th 05 05:35 PM
Winding coils Paul Burridge Homebrew 140 February 13th 04 01:04 AM
winding sheilded coils Jill Fryer Homebrew 2 January 24th 04 01:25 PM
Winding coils Paul Burridge Homebrew 0 December 4th 03 11:21 PM