Old October 15th 03, 11:12 AM
Laycock, Christopher

R + jwL + 1/(jwC)
= R + jwL -j/(wC)
so at resonance wL=1/(wC)
ie w=1/sqrt(LC)

Chris

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
The impedance should be R + jwL + 1/(jwC)

You sure?, how do the j parts cancel at resonance if they are both added?+

Old October 15th 03, 01:31 PM
Active8

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:18:51 +0100, Paul Burridge, said...
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:11:13 GMT, Active8
wrote:

now that were all done playing with j...

don't forget

Z = sqrt{R^2 + [(wL) - (1/wC)]^2]}

and

Z(s) = R + Ls + 1/Cs

which is just plain easier to deal with 'til you need to journey back
into time domain land. no need to leave it f(t) for this deal, though.

all that j stuff... that was scary ****. so easy to make a mistake.

Especially so given the limited typography of this particular medium.
I suspect few of us would have a problem if we could only view these
formulae in a suitably appropriate typeface!!!

what pre tell, is a typeface that would make it hard? wing-dings?

i admit, even in HTML with arial or fixed-pitch, where you have sub and
super tags and greek letter codes, you can't do much. i tried a few free
math notation tools for HTML and wasn't happy. plus you need a plugin
for most if not all. W^3C has a standard. i'd like to see more math
capabiliies in browsers. we could attach formulae without violating the
no bianaries rule. of course microshaft and standards will probably
never be seen in the same line of code.

i still don't see why text based math legibility is font dependant. i
see i could have eliminated some clarifying parens by

- -
| 2 1 2 |
sqrt | R + ----- | or a 1/2 power instead of sqrt
| jwC |
- -
created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.22.310103 Beta www.tech-chat.de

does that also foul up?

brs,
mike

Old October 15th 03, 10:25 PM
Kieren

....snip

i still don't see why text based math legibility is font dependant. i
see i could have eliminated some clarifying parens by

- -
| 2 1 2 |
sqrt | R + ----- | or a 1/2 power instead of sqrt
| jwC |
- -
created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.22.310103 Beta www.tech-chat.de

does that also foul up?

brs,
mike

Oh, Mike. That's ugly!! Strangely, when I see it in this window I type
replies in, it's much clearer! Hey, ho. I agree with you about viewing
these things in browsers... always hard. For my money, the first ones in
this chain were as good as any I've seen

Old October 16th 03, 12:59 AM
Michael

all that j stuff... that was scary ****. so easy to make a mistake.
swapping w and f is another good one. only works for f/f stuff.

mike

I get a bit scared of all the j's too, I prefer polar. Usually you
want a magnitude and angle in the end result anyway.

What causes this? Ken Bessler Antenna 21 December 4th 04 01:37 PM
Folded monopole dilemma The other John Smith Antenna 33 April 27th 04 02:00 AM
Current in antenna loading coils controversy (*sigh*) Roy Lewallen Antenna 25 January 15th 04 09:11 PM
Current in antenna loading coils controversy Yuri Blanarovich Antenna 454 December 12th 03 03:39 PM
Check resonance frequency with GDO Max Antenna 1 July 12th 03 05:18 PM