Old October 20th 03, 06:14 PM
Gary S.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:43:06 +0100, "Frank Dinger"
wrote:

Talking about nails ,some time ago in the dutch amateur radio mag.
'Electron' , there was an article describing a kid's radio.
,dubbed 'Nail Radio' . Its construction was on a piece of timber into
which copperclad nails had been hammered in circuit diagramme configuration
. The components (for this medium wave receiver) were subsequently soldered
to the nail heads.
A superb way to introduce newcomers to electronics and radio home-brewing.

A real circuit "board".

Any technique that works, is good technique.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old October 21st 03, 12:31 AM
Avery Fineman

In article , "David Forsyth"
writes:

On a second side note - does anyone happen to know what the formula would be
to calculate the capacitance between two metal plates of a given area and
given spacing, having an air dielectric?

From the good ol' "Green Bible" (ITT Reference Data for Radio
Engineers, 4th Edition, 1956, page 133), for only two plates,
dimensions in inches, air dielectric:

Capacitance (pFd) = 0.225 x Square Area / spacing

Assuming the plates are the same size and shape.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

Old October 21st 03, 01:05 AM
David Forsyth

Thanks Len!

Dave

"Avery Fineman" wrote in message
In article , "David Forsyth"
writes:

On a second side note - does anyone happen to know what the formula would

be
to calculate the capacitance between two metal plates of a given area and
given spacing, having an air dielectric?

From the good ol' "Green Bible" (ITT Reference Data for Radio

Old October 30th 03, 03:03 AM
kenneth scharf

David Forsyth wrote:
The "dead bug" way? I'm not sure what this means - please forgive me I'm
new to this :-)

Dave

"Bill Hennessy" wrote in message
. ..

Yes, I have found when building regenerative receivers wood is the best
chassi. However a metal front panel is a must. However I only use

battery

tubes with low voltage. Never more than 45 volts. But when building
solid-state regeneratives. A good ground plane helps. Build it the dead
bug way.

'Dead bug' refers to IC's mounted upside down with their legs
sticking up in the air like a dead roach.

Old October 30th 03, 03:07 AM
kenneth scharf

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Michael Black wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" ) writes:

Aluminum is usually easier for most to work with with simple hand tools.
Steel is fine but it might rust and look bad after a while. Make the
chassie out of whatever kind of metel that you think is the best for you to
work with . Electrically there will be little if any differance.

And of course, everyone did use steel (once things progressed beyond
wood and bakelite chassis) right up until aluminum because readily
available and/or cheap enough, at which point I doubt anyone used
steel except if what they were building was really really heavy, ie
a kilowatt modulator or final.

Michael VE2BVW

I have seen a few nice layouts on Brass chassis, as well. Easier to
work than steel, and you can still solder to it. I built some tube RF
decks on 1/16" brass sheet stock, and mounted them into a steel cabinet
years ago.

I think RL Drake used copper chassis on their tube ham gear. Looked
real nice when new and shiny! I've build some equipment in home made
boxes made out of copper (you can get small pieces of sheet copper from
the hobby shop). Not cheap, but solders easy and makes a great ground
plane!

Old October 30th 03, 03:54 AM
Michael A. Terrell

kenneth scharf wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Michael Black wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" ) writes:

[...]

Yes, I know what you mean. I still have some pieces of sheet brass,
angles, and small tubes for RF work. I use to solder small brass boxes
together for shields when I built filters and RF pre amps. I was using
K&S Engineering materials sold at hobby shops, but the last hobby shop
in Ocala closed about four years ago. I am looking for a place to get
some deep drawn brass boxes and small tubing to build some DC blocks,
detectors, and dummy antennas to sell as alignment aids for older
radios.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida