Old January 28th 04, 05:09 AM
Nocturnal1

Default KIWA Air core Am loop details wanted

Can anyone tell me how detailed the schematic diagram in the manual is? I
can't afford to buy the loop, but am pretty good a cobbling and crafting and
coming up with something that works. Is there a kind soul out there who is
willing to scan and email a copy of the manual? Perhaps I could build a
workable clone from the circuit details in the manual. I'm also looking for
closeup pictures of details of the loop and circuitry - anything that would
help in producing a viable clone (they don't make 'em anymore).

~Tom
nocone
at
uslink
dot
net

Old January 29th 04, 02:47 AM
Jim, N2VX

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:09:59 -0600, "Nocturnal1"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how detailed the schematic diagram in the manual is? I
can't afford to buy the loop, but am pretty good a cobbling and crafting and
coming up with something that works. Is there a kind soul out there who is
willing to scan and email a copy of the manual? Perhaps I could build a
workable clone from the circuit details in the manual. I'm also looking for
closeup pictures of details of the loop and circuitry - anything that would
help in producing a viable clone (they don't make 'em anymore).

~Tom

Tuned loop antennas for AM broadcast band are easy to build and work
well. Do a search for National Radio Club, a MW DXer association.
You can build a simple loop that works with your ferrite rod antenna
radio or spend more time on something with a FET preamp or mount it
outside with remote tuning.

I got good results with a 2 foot tuned loop with a shielded pickup
loop inside it. You should be able to find it on the NRC site.

Don't know about the Kiwa, but there are only so many variations on
the theme.

73,
Jim
N2VX
Old January 29th 04, 06:45 AM
Nocturnal1

I've built several loops and they are all similar as you say, but the KIWA
loop is quite a different animal! I've have mild success with what I've done
so far in my efforts to duplicate one, but I cannot seem to find much on the
regenerative loop and circuitry contained within it.

~Tom in Mn

Old January 29th 04, 02:27 PM
Pete KE9OA

I saw a schematic for the amplifier years ago. They key was what appeared to
be linear optoisolators in the feedback circuitry.
I was going to build it up, but it looked as if the designer put quite a bit
of work into the circuit design, so I took a pass on it.
I purged the details from my hard drive a few years back.

Pete

Old February 2nd 04, 02:08 AM
Nocturnal1

Geez - I'd give my right ___ for that schematic.
Craig may have put alot of work into it, but he's no longer producing them.
eBay prices are at ridiculous levels for this thing. I just wanna make ONE
for myself - not infringe on any copyrights or patents. It won't look the
same and probably won't be the same - but I'd sure like to see why the
optoisolator is in there...
~Tom

news

Old February 9th 04, 08:01 AM
Pete KE9OA

It must have been some kind of coupling element.................the
regenerative circuits I have seen otherwise use a pot for the feedback
element. I did try one of those circuits, and it didn't work too well.

Pete

"Nocturnal1" wrote in message
Geez - I'd give my right ___ for that schematic.
Craig may have put alot of work into it, but he's no longer producing

them.
eBay prices are at ridiculous levels for this thing. I just wanna make ONE
for myself - not infringe on any copyrights or patents. It won't look the
same and probably won't be the same - but I'd sure like to see why the
optoisolator is in there...
~Tom

news

Old February 9th 04, 06:42 PM
Michael Black

"Pete KE9OA" ) writes:
It must have been some kind of coupling element.................the
regenerative circuits I have seen otherwise use a pot for the feedback
element. I did try one of those circuits, and it didn't work too well.

Pete

Of course, there were a couple of articles about a regen receiver that
used an optocoupler in QST. One was a straight regen, the other was
a "supergainer", ie a converter ahead of a regen detector. They had
to be in the past 4 or 5 years, though I don't have them handy. I forget
whether the optocoupler was for signal coupling, or for regen control.

Michael VE2BVW

"Nocturnal1" wrote in message
Geez - I'd give my right ___ for that schematic.
Craig may have put alot of work into it, but he's no longer producing

them.
eBay prices are at ridiculous levels for this thing. I just wanna make ONE
for myself - not infringe on any copyrights or patents. It won't look the
same and probably won't be the same - but I'd sure like to see why the
optoisolator is in there...
~Tom

news