Old September 1st 04, 11:13 PM
No Spam

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:33:30 UTC, wrote:

I think lack of conscience is not a communist problem per se. This
having been said, I know that at least some European communist
countries, tried to make their design and manufacturing as solid as
possible. Because in their philosophy there was no such thing as
unemployment, and there often was a shortage of supplies, there was no
reason not to put a good amount of engineering into their stuff. I can
confirm 2 East-German black and white TV sets running since 1988 without
needing repairs (and many more of those sets in continuous use in the
Prague metro, if they were not drowned 2 years ago). Some radio
collectors can confirm as well that East German and Czech radio's seem
rather well built (alltough I have not seen too many of those, but what
I have seen was nice).

What next? Will we be pining away for East German and Soviet era
products like the Trabant, Lada, ZIL?

It's one thing to restore and operate an HT-32B/SX-115 but East
German consumer electronics?

The solution to the trash and recycling problem is a bit more
attention to repair and disposal on the design and manufacturing
side, and a recycling deposit.

If the stuff were easier to fix and upgrade, it wouldn't be pitched
out so quickly.

Can't do much about cell phones, portable CD players, and other
smallish items but the big stuff should be fixable or recycleable.

If new consumer electronics were tagged with a barcoded serial
number and a $1, $5, or $10 deposit levied on each item. The
recycling industry could pay people to bring the stuff back.

de ah6gi/4 - No chance of my 75S-1, SB-303, or SX-100 ever
going to the landfill.

Old September 2nd 04, 01:41 AM
Henry Kolesnik

I only had time to go to EPO on Fondren. Spent about 30 minutes and didn't
find anything I couldn't live without. I was there a year ago and the main
thing I noticed is that prices have gone up. If this is the case elsewhere,
homebrewers are going to have to dig deep or look elsewhere.

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

"DJboutit" wrote in message
om...
Charlie's Airwaves is over pirced on almost every thing. Nice place to go
and look & repair prices are not that bad. I remeber when the EPO Houston
use to sell alot more surplus stuff that was like 3 years ago. Now the

only
surpul stuff they have is some computer stuff batteries power supplys and
generators. I like the epo back in the day not it is just good to go &

look
you might find something you need. I am also looking for a good surplus
electronic store within about 50 or so miles of Houston anybody know of

any
good ones.

Old September 2nd 04, 01:53 AM
Bob Weiss

Scott W. Harvey wrote:

expensive.

IMHO, These items should be put on a giant barge and sent back to the
country of origin with the caveat that a trade embargo will be imposed
against any country that refuses to take them back. Maybe when China,
Mexico, and other cheap-labor countries experience first hand what a
colossal pain it is to deal with the ass end of their product's
mercilessly short life cycles, maybe they won't dump quite so much of
this junk on our shores.

-Scott

These countries are ALREADY taking the stuff back, and it is killing
people and destroying the environment in their countries, as well:

http://greennature.com/article978.html
http://english.epochtimes.com/news/3-9-11/5040.html
http://www.peopleandplanet.net/doc.php?id=1445

Bob Weiss N2IXK
Old September 2nd 04, 05:23 PM
Roger Gt

"Bob Weiss" wrote in message
: Scott W. Harvey wrote:
:
: expensive.
:
[...]

Name one person who has died that can be traced directly to
salvaging efforts.

Old September 2nd 04, 09:02 PM
Doug

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:29:51 GMT, "DJboutit"
wrote:

Charlie's Airwaves is over pirced on almost every thing. Nice place to go
and look & repair prices are not that bad. I remeber when the EPO Houston
use to sell alot more surplus stuff that was like 3 years ago. Now the only
surpul stuff they have is some computer stuff batteries power supplys and
generators. I like the epo back in the day not it is just good to go & look
you might find something you need. I am also looking for a good surplus
electronic store within about 50 or so miles of Houston anybody know of any
good ones.

I assume that Madison Electronics in Houston is long gone?
They used to be a great ham dealer with lots of surplus.

Doug

Old September 2nd 04, 09:40 PM
Highland Ham

The solution to the trash and recycling problem is a bit more
attention to repair and disposal on the design and manufacturing
side, and a recycling deposit.

============
In the Netherlands and probably other EU countries all electrical goods are
subjected to a 'disposal fee' related to the purchase price and
size/hardware content ,which is to be paid upon purchase.

For a hair dryer the fee is low , for a TV set or laundry machine the fee is
much higher. Old /defective goods can be returned to the shop the goods were
purchased ,or to the relevant municipal waste depot.

Good system where money is paid up front to pay for eventual disposal/
recycling.

One of the early 'top' recycling countries in Europe is Switzerland.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old September 2nd 04, 09:40 PM
Highland Ham

These countries are ALREADY taking the stuff back, and it is killing
people and destroying the environment in their countries, as well:

=========================
Yes indeed . A few years ago I saw a TV programme on lead acid batteries
recycling.
Used batteries were shipped from the USA (back )to Taiwan,with the lead
being recovered there . A dreadful operation. Working conditions and
resulting pollution of the local environment were really bad.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old September 2nd 04, 11:09 PM
J M Noeding

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:40:04 GMT, "Highland Ham"
wrote:

The solution to the trash and recycling problem is a bit more
attention to repair and disposal on the design and manufacturing
side, and a recycling deposit.

============
In the Netherlands and probably other EU countries all electrical goods are
subjected to a 'disposal fee' related to the purchase price and
size/hardware content ,which is to be paid upon purchase.

For a hair dryer the fee is low , for a TV set or laundry machine the fee is
much higher. Old /defective goods can be returned to the shop the goods were
purchased ,or to the relevant municipal waste depot.

Good system where money is paid up front to pay for eventual disposal/
recycling.

And the electronics shops are supposed to return a certain amount of
rubbish for the consumer electronics they sell. If they can't provide
this they must pay a fee. Some shops collected the old PC's to give to
schools in Poland, but had to give up this practice because it reduced
their rubbish to be collected

On the other hand they might be pleased to solve your problem to get
rid of your rubbish

73
Jan-Martin
LA8AK

---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm
Old September 3rd 04, 09:19 AM

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:23:20 GMT, "Roger Gt" wrote:

"Bob Weiss" wrote in message
> [...]
: Scott W. Harvey wrote:
:
: expensive.
:
[...]

Real sensible question.

Just like the one about two white guys and a black guy
arriving at Heaven. St. Peter asks the first guy what famous ship was
sunk by an iceberg. Guy answers, "Titanic" and St. Peter waves him in.
St. Peter asks the second white guy how many died. Guy says, "1503"
and St Peter waves him in. Then he turns to the black guy and says,
"Name them."
Old September 3rd 04, 09:36 AM
Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

"Bob Weiss" wrote in message
> [...]
: Scott W. Harvey wrote:
:
: expensive.
:
[...]

Many people don't realize that most of the high tech parts of
electronics equipment, such as the, ahem, CRTs, are _made_ right here in
the U.S. and shipped to another country for assembly. Sony's San Diego
plant is one notable example.