Old August 1st 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Searching for component Sources - help!

I'm looking for a source for capacitors. What I'm hoping to purchase is a nice variety of orange drops at a reasonable price. Do anyone have a source (possibly individuals dealing in surplus) that is reliable? I am aware of "Just Radios" up in Canada but they seem awfully expensive to me. I'm an old timer and may have too much "price memory-overlay" from years gone by..

All replies welcome.

73,

Mike , W4XN
mike at w4xn dot com
Old August 1st 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I'm looking for a source for capacitors. What I'm hoping to purchase is a nice variety of orange
drops at a reasonable price. Do anyone have a source (possibly individuals dealing in surplus)
that is reliable? I am aware of "Just Radios" up in Canada but they seem awfully expensive to me.
I'm an old timer and may have too much "price memory-overlay" from years gone by.

Mouser carries current-stock (by CDE) "orange drop" caps in two
different dielectric types (polyester and polypropylene). Digi-Key
also carries them.

Amplified Parts has a kit of orange drops (they aren't explicit about
the brand - might be worth checking with them to make sure they're
genuine CDE and not knockoffs). 600 volts, 6 each of 6 different
values of two dielectric types, $62. That's a good deal less than the
by-the-onesies prices at DigiKey and Mouser.

You might find some old-stock surplus sitting around - somebody's
drawer-cabinet of bench-top supplies - if you're lucky... hamfests,
surplus-store sales, and so forth. Most of my real bargain finds have
been of that sort.

On the open market I suspect you'll find that they aren't all that
much less expensive, surplus, than they are new. The "orange drop"
film caps seem to have a significant cult following (e.g. among Gibson
amplifier fans) and so supply-and-demand may be driving the price of
surplus up to near (or above, for "vintage") new-component prices.
Old August 2nd 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 2:00:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Platt wrote:
[...]

Dave,

Thanks for your input. I will check out your recommended sources.

Some 10+ yrs ago, there was a fella in Arizona who sold a LOT of surplus components. I cannot find anything about the fella using a Google search. I felt from talking to him on the phone and placing orders, that he might be in his 60's or so. Wondering if you might have known him or know of his destiny?
His name was Lloyd Godsey or Godfree or ?? He had a website something like Lloyd's Dempsey Dumpster. Ever heard of him?

Regards,

Mike
Old August 3rd 17, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:02:26 -0700 (PDT), rec.radio.amateur.hombrew wrote:

I'm looking for a source for capacitors. What I'm hoping to purchase
is a nice variety of orange drops at a reasonable price. Do anyone
have a source (possibly individuals dealing in surplus) that is reliable?
I am aware of "Just Radios" up in Canada but they seem awfully expensive
to me. I'm an old timer and may have too much "price memory-overlay"
from years gone by.

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

It's an ugly, huge, 1990's style website -- but the components and
prices are real. You might want to use your browser's search tool
to zero in on specific items, e.g. "capacitor"

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD
Old August 4th 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 8:43:46 AM UTC-4, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:02:26 -0700 (PDT), rec.radio.amateur.hombrew wrote:

I'm looking for a source for capacitors. What I'm hoping to purchase
is a nice variety of orange drops at a reasonable price. Do anyone
have a source (possibly individuals dealing in surplus) that is reliable?
I am aware of "Just Radios" up in Canada but they seem awfully expensive
to me. I'm an old timer and may have too much "price memory-overlay"
from years gone by.

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

It's an ugly, huge, 1990's style website -- but the components and
prices are real. You might want to use your browser's search tool
to zero in on specific items, e.g. "capacitor"

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Jonesy,

NOW THIS IS MY KINDA PLACE!! Thank you for your input.

Mike, W4XN

Old August 5th 17, 11:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 04/08/17 02:33, rec.radio.amateur.hombrew wrote:
[...]

=================
Sadly not for those outside the USA.
Yet ,I might order some components before traveling across the Atlantic
next year . But it is an excellent components source for US based
"home brewers".

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Searching for a component source... Dave WB4IUY Moderated 4 April 21st 07 03:46 AM
Unknown Component Win Homebrew 6 July 25th 05 09:00 PM
Kit for Making PCB for SMT component Localbuyer Homebrew 12 May 14th 04 11:12 PM
Component search Dave Pauley Homebrew 0 February 14th 04 05:50 PM
Component search Dave Pauley Homebrew 0 February 14th 04 05:50 PM