Old January 17th 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Astron RS-12A Repair Help

On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-8, Roger Leone wrote:
Woods:

Power supplies like yours are pretty easy to repair, but the best way is not
to randomly replace parts. There are many possible problems and you need to
approach the troubleshooting in an organized way, eliminating what is
working and moving on to what isn't. You will need a volt/ohmmeter for this
work.

Here is a link to a schematic that works:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/rs12a.html

As a previous poster suggested, check to see if you have AC coming out of
the transformer. If you don't, check the fuse and switch on the primary
side. If they are good and you still have no AC out of the transformer, and
all the wiring seems OK and you have 117 volts AC going in the primary, then
the transformer may have an open secondary winding. This is unlikely, but
you should check to be sure. If the transformer is bad, you need to decide
how badly you want to repair the supply, as that is the most expensive part.

Old January 18th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:41:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-8, Roger Leone wrote:

I am having similar problems with my RS12 supply.

.... then you should start a new thread instead
of replying to a FIFTEEN YEAR-OLD THREAD!
Old January 19th 19, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2019, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:41:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-8, Roger Leone wrote:

I am having similar problems with my RS12 supply.

... then you should start a new thread instead
of replying to a FIFTEEN YEAR-OLD THREAD!

Some people seem to think everything related should be "kept in one place"
to make it easier for others to find.

What's forgotten is that the only way someone finds these old threads is
by searches (I can't believe they scroll back through 16 years of
messages), and if they can find a message from 2003, the same sort of
search would find a new thread started today.

The problem is not created by people but by the ridiculous "Google
Groups" interface to usenet news. It archives news forever, then allows
people to search it and send replies, without any clear indication that
they are replying to very old news. There should be an extra warning
when replying to an old thread, or it should be disallowed entirely.

Even those that ask the questions are unlikely to ever come back to read
the replies. They were just searching the internet, found the article
on Google Groups that they do not regularly visit otherwise, ask a
question and move on in their search. It is unlikely that they can find
back the same Google Groups site 3 days later to read a reply.

So it is best to just ignore those replies to old threads from people
with @gmail.com. I have even setup a killfilter so I don't see them.
(unless others again reply to them)

Old January 20th 19, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
Rob wrote:

Even those that ask the questions are unlikely to ever come back to read
the replies. They were just searching the internet, found the article
on Google Groups that they do not regularly visit otherwise, ask a
question and move on in their search. It is unlikely that they can find
back the same Google Groups site 3 days later to read a reply.

I am willing to forgive people for replying to such old threads. If I
have an idea that might help, I'll provide it.

But you are correct. There is seldom any further response. And if I
research the thread, I often find it is an old thread I previously
replied to, and provided the same suggestion.

I suspect they expect replies by E-Mail, so there is no need to come
back!

Fred
Old January 20th 19, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 1/20/2019 9:52 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Rob wrote:

Even those that ask the questions are unlikely to ever come back to read
the replies. They were just searching the internet, found the article
on Google Groups that they do not regularly visit otherwise, ask a
question and move on in their search. It is unlikely that they can find
back the same Google Groups site 3 days later to read a reply.

I am willing to forgive people for replying to such old threads. If I
have an idea that might help, I'll provide it.

But you are correct. There is seldom any further response. And if I
research the thread, I often find it is an old thread I previously
replied to, and provided the same suggestion.

I suspect they expect replies by E-Mail, so there is no need to come
back!

Fred

I've occasionally fallen into that also, replying to an ancient posting.
But as I get older it can be nice to see, when I find I am saying the
same thing I did years ago!
Bob W, WA9D
Old January 20th 19, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I will post to a new thread. I found this thread through a google search and didn't think it was such a big deal to reply to an old thread. My apologies.
Ross AD6OE

OLD TV REPAIR TOOLS-permapower huebrite picture tube brightener-6-page tv set service tips tube replacement book-sylvania techs handheld colorviewer tool-vintage repair shop cleanout-$10 Dwight D. Eisenhower Swap 0 December 19th 07 02:17 PM
Astron RS-35M Howard W3CQH Equipment 1 January 22nd 06 02:02 AM
HELP Astron 70 amp PS [email protected] Equipment 15 September 24th 04 08:56 PM
FS: Astron 35a 12v PS EdT Swap 0 November 19th 03 05:45 PM
FS: Astron RS-35A $95 W9zr Swap 0 September 18th 03 12:20 AM