Old July 14th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Low cost SMD Oven for making SMD samples and Prototypes

I knew that I already had two phases in the guest room.
A couple of cheap extension cords was all it took, with one blade of a
"three prong adaprer" inserted into each hot side of each extension. Guest
220 in 5 minutes!

I'd feel ok drawing 8A this way, but you shouldn't try this at home...I'm a
professional. (:-)

Linears should have either
1- both 110 and 220 internal wiring options, or
2- just 220

But 120 is is a real stretch.

======================
Steve , Tnx for providing the 'full' picture.
Assuming a 67 percent efficiency (am I too pessimistic?) a legal RF
power amp would need 1.5*1500 = 2250 W (say overall maximum of 2400W)
which at 220 V means 12 Amperes.
So, a shack without 220 -234 V power supply would need a dedicated
supply from the switchboard .

Here in the UK we do have 115V industrial power tools,which need to be
used with a 230/115V (usually portable) safety transformer with the
secondary having an earthed centre tap ,such that in the event of a
'fault' personnel is exposed to a (peak) voltage not exceeding 1.4*58 =
81V which is considered sufficiently low to prevent electrocution.

The nominal domestic supply voltage within EU countries has now been
'normalised' to 230V ,meaning that (within a voltage band) the same
equipment can be used in all the countries.
Before , the UK had 240V and continental countries 220V . This often
meant that for example an (clothing) iron for 220 V had a very limited
life when used in Britain .
The voltage at my place (rural area) is nowadays usually 236-237 V
,whereas earlier it was up to 250 V or sometimes even higher.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old July 14th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Highland Ham" wrote in message
[...]

In the cell phone base business, everything (almost) runs off battery
systems.
There were two cases where Development Engineers not knowing about our mains
system, where developing products never before run off the mains.
In one, the presence of "both" 120 and 240 was causing some spike absorbers,
designed for 120 systems, to pop from the 240.

The other was a small base station which had its power input connections
designed by Mechanical engineers. It came to my test group without the
power cord connected to the black (protorype) "barrier terminal strip". One
of the Develpoment Engineers called another for the connections and made
them. It was plugged in, but wouldn't work. Several Engineers started
checking and discuvered that the serial port on the control laptop had been
fried. Several of us put our noses to the connector and could smell the
burned components on the unit. We also noticed that the heat sink wasn't
getting warm. I and several Engineers put our hands on the case to test
this.
Note: In the US, we have a third wire in all outlets which, though it is
the same as the common or neutral (basically also ground or no potential)
side, it is used to connect to any exposed metal parts. The purpose it to
divert any hahazzardous shorts to ground and blow a breaker or fuse rather
than harming someone. We were focused on finding the cause. Several of us
worked trying to analyxe the failure and found the serial interface of the
unit has fried as well as the lap top serial port.
Findings:
The HOT of the 120 ( instead of the safety ground connection) was connected
to the chassis. This placed the outside of the (as yet unpainted) housing
at 120 VAC relative to all other grounded equipment in the room!
I was one of several who put his nose up to that hole to smell burnt
comopnents. I was one who felt the unit for heat build up.

It hit me half way home. Needledd to say, I gave the Mechanical and
Electrical Engineers a lecture on mains principles.

73, Steve, K9DCI

Old July 15th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Steve N." wrote:

If you really need to get 220 quickly and easily [ and do not draw more than
than the 15 or 20 amps of your brealers] you can find two outlets on the
two phases and get one half of the 220 from each.
I did this for a visiting relative from Germany so he could run his electric
shaver. It is still the talk of the relatives...
Since I built my house and did the wiring with Dad's help, I kept a drawing
of all the circuits, I knew that I already had two phases in the guest room.
A couple of cheap extension cords was all it took, with one blade of a
"three prong adaprer" inserted into each hot side of each extension. Guest
220 in 5 minutes!

Using two outlets without some logic to make sure both plugs are
connected is a very dangerous setup. The simplest setup is three
relays, two to detect the 120 VAC on each cord that together energize
the 240 VAC outlet.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 15th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

The other was a small base station which had its power input connections
designed by Mechanical engineers.

-----------------------

I wouldn't blame the mechanical engineers. I'd blame the engineering manager
who let mechanical engineers design an electrical interface, and then
apparently didn't design-review it.

Joe
W3JDR

Old July 16th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Paul Keinanen wrote:
I was building a power supply and fired it up for the first time and
was sniffing for any hot components. I then actually hit the hot side
of the power transformer primary terminal (220 V over here in those
days). It was a nasty shock

Well don't DO that!

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Old July 16th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 16th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

No, you've got it all wrong - you use your tongue to test if the
soldering iron is COLD.

Old July 17th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

You folks are in good company: one of my friends, down in VK-land,
shook some excess solder off the iron tip -- and then decided to wear
pants from then on.

--
About a deceased operator:
I'm still more than a bit surprised that he was able to operate
Old July 17th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

You folks are in good company: one of my friends, down in VK-land,
shook some excess solder off the iron tip -- and then decided that if
he was going to solder things, he'd wear pants, thanks very much.

Old July 17th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

No, you've got it all wrong - you use your tongue to test if the
soldering iron is COLD.

I was in someone else's shop one day and saw something falling off
the edge of the bench in my peripheral vision, and caught a hot
soldering iron. Luckily I had my tool box with me so I grabbed some
pure silicone grease and smeared it over the burns. I lost a layer of
dead skin a few days later, but it didn't dry out enough to crack and
bleed, which would have taken a lot longer to heal.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida