Old March 18th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Upgrade to Extra using 2001 License Manual?

Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend the
money for a newer license manual?

Old March 18th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:24:36 CST, Rick wrote in :

Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend the
money for a newer license manual?

I think it's good until July first, 2007. Good luck -- and may you be
so well prepared that you need no luck at all.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin

Old March 18th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mar 18, 11:24?am, Rick wrote:
Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend the
money for a newer license manual?

I would suggest just going to www.ncvec.org and downloading
your choice of the current Extra exam and/or the one that
will go into effect in July of this year. You can then look them
over and see what you need to study more. The changes
might be slight such as the regulations (affected by the
restructuring of 2000?) but the VEC might have changed a
few "distractor" questions...:-)

Be aware that the Extra written element has about sixteen
times as many quesions as the minimum ten required by
the FCC. That is, to me, highly commendable of the NCVEC.
It is now more difficult to "memorize" everything on a test.

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 19th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 18, 11:24?am, Rick wrote:
Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend the
money for a newer license manual?

I would suggest just going to www.ncvec.org and downloading
your choice of the current Extra exam and/or the one that
will go into effect in July of this year. You can then look them
over and see what you need to study more. The changes
might be slight such as the regulations (affected by the
restructuring of 2000?) but the VEC might have changed a
few "distractor" questions...:-)

Be aware that the Extra written element has about sixteen
times as many quesions as the minimum ten required by
the FCC. That is, to me, highly commendable of the NCVEC.
It is now more difficult to "memorize" everything on a test.

73, Len AF6AY

The General class pool changes July 1, 2007. The Extra will not change
until July 1, 2008.

The effectivity dates for the current Extra question pool a July 1, 2002
until June 30, 2008.

There is no harm using the older manual so long as one studies and learns
the material rather than the question pool. I would recommend though that
the current question pool be used for review rather that the one in the 2001
manual.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 19th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:24:36 CST, Rick wrote:

Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend the
money for a newer license manual?

The theory is still the same. Regulations have changed. Your choice.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old March 19th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:39:09 -0600, Phil Kane wrote:

The theory is still the same. Regulations have changed. Your choice.

That's mostly what I was wondering. I know some of the frequency
allocations have changed, and I have the 12/15/06 allocation chart here.
And I know there's no more CW requirement. What else changed in the last
6 years or so that's important?

Old March 19th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mar 18, 3:30�pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 18, 11:24?am, Rick wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Dee. Correction noted. I took and passed all
three on 25 Feb 07 so I guess my memory just crossed
it out on effective dates of exams. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 19th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:40:57 CST, "
wrote:

Thank you, Dee. Correction noted. I took and passed all
three on 25 Feb 07 so I guess my memory just crossed
it out on effective dates of exams. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Congrats Len, and welcome to the Wide World of Hamdom.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Old March 19th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 18, 3:30�pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 18, 11:24?am, Rick wrote:
[...]

It gets confusing even for those of us who need to stay on top of it. The
Extra pool was originally slated to expire in 2006 but it was extended two
years as the VECs decided that the Tech needed reworked in 2006. Then they
proceeded to the General for 2007. This pushed the Extra out to 2008.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 28th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mar 18, 1:24 pm, Rick wrote:
Is the 2001 ARRL Extra Class License Manual still sufficient for taking
and passing the current (2007) Element 4 written, or should I spend the
money for a newer license manual?

There have been no changes in radio theory, and very minor rule
changes which affect Extra, so if you understand the material, any
study guide going back to 1990 or so should work just fine,
supplemented by a quick review of Part 97.

73, de Hans, K0HB