Old November 13th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Practice CW

Hi, I'm learning CW, and so far have not been able to tune in the Arrl
practice frequencies. I have only a 10 meter wire antenna, and I'm
wondering if there is anyone here from the southern New England area
that knows CW that wouldn't mind some practice on the 10 meter tech
sub-band. Fair warning, I'm not up to 5 wpm yet.
I am usually on the air around 7pm.

Jim

Old November 13th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

James Barrett wrote:
Hi, I'm learning CW, and so far have not been able to tune in the Arrl
practice frequencies. I have only a 10 meter wire antenna, and I'm
wondering if there is anyone here from the southern New England area
that knows CW that wouldn't mind some practice on the 10 meter tech
sub-band. Fair warning, I'm not up to 5 wpm yet.
I am usually on the air around 7pm.

Jim

Jim,

Please tell us your callsign and grid squa at this point in the
sunspot cycle, ten meters isn't going to get much further than a CB set.

There are also other options you can pursue:

1. Use a computer and download one of several Morse study
programs. I found them indispensable for learing the
code, especially since they allow you to make custom
lists of the characters you're having trouble with.

2. If you have VHF gear, you can set up schedules with
local hams to do MCW on simplex or even with a
cooperative repeater.

3. If all else fails, you can build a modem adapter that
will allow you to practice with a friend via tele-
phone line.

HTH.

73, W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)

Old November 13th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Nov 13, 1:11 pm, Bill Horne wrote:
James Barrett wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill, my call sign is kb1odg, and according to the Arrl web site (I
don't have a grid map at the moment), my grid square is FN41.
I've been using a program called "Just Learn Morse Code" and it has
helped with copying code, but now I'm looking for software that can
"receive" code sent by a key.

In my search I came across this link, Arrl has made mp3 practice
recordings.
http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/morse.html

I did another search for MCW and came across this link: a schematic
for building an MCW oscillator
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...5/mcwosc1.html

I have a 2 meter HT, but it is only FM. I have not yet heard any morse
code in FM, except for repeater call signs. Does anyone do morse code
in FM on 2 meters?

Jim

Old November 14th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Nov 13, 11:46 am, James Barrett wrote:
Hi, I'm learning CW, and so far have not been able to tune in the Arrl
practice frequencies. I have only a 10 meter wire antenna, and I'm
wondering if there is anyone here from the southern New England area
that knows CW that wouldn't mind some practice on the 10 meter tech
sub-band. Fair warning, I'm not up to 5 wpm yet.
I am usually on the air around 7pm.

My suggestion is to forget 10M, FM and VHF and get yourself some sort
of HF radio which can directly tunes the 80M W1AW code practice
sessions which should really boom your neighborhood. They're out there
for much less than the cost of another HT. This one is only a hundred
bucks brand new:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-9380K.

And you could use it to run CW on 80 after you've become a General and
if you haven't been there yet it'll also introduce you to the
wonderful world of ham radio solder smoke. Another affordable route to
HF gear is the vast used equipment market.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of the 80M W1AW code practice
sessions which took me from zip to 25WPM and beyond "back when".

Jim

Brian w3rv

Old November 14th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"James Barrett" wrote

Hi, I'm learning CW, and so far have not been able to tune in the Arrl
practice frequencies. I have only a 10 meter wire antenna,

To what is that 10 meter wire antenna connected? If it's a regular old HF
transceiver (typically 160m - 10m) then you can use that 10 meter wire
antenna to receive on 80 meters... and you should be able to hear W1AW on
it. ?

BTW, I'm glad you're wanting to learn CW!

Howard N7SO

Old November 14th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

ups.com...
James Barrett wrote:
[...]

Jim we have sent morse code practice on our 2M repeater (or simplex) The
repeater code practice was a net and sanctioned by the repeater club and
scheduled. Or use an infrequently used simplex frequency.

You need a CPO (Code Practice Oscillator) just key up the HT and place the
CPO speaker next to the HT mic. Use the CPO to generate code audio. This
audio modulates the FM transmitter.

Or have a computer program that sends code (by list or keyboard) place HT
mic near the computer speaker.

When transmitting on the air 2M, be sure to ID your call every 10 minutes
and a short voice announcement of what you are doing. Works well. Don't use
a repeater for code practice without permission from the repeater club, best
use an infrequently used simplex frequency e.g. 147.555 MHz NOT
146.520 MHz the National Simplex Freq)

Since code requirement has been dropped from the exams, we have discontinued
the code practice nets.

Re ARRL code practice -- problem here is they send at various speeds - so
you have to wait for transmissions you can copy and practice. Why not just
get a computer program. See URL:

http://ac6v.com/morseprograms.htm

Another problem is two newbies probably send pretty sloppy code- not the way
to learn receiving.

Good luck with the code.
Lamont

Ham Radio practice tests Rollie CB 3 December 15th 08 03:22 PM
Looking for Code Practice Software That Runs Under XP Dee Flint General 0 October 1st 06 04:06 AM
Hallicrafter code practice oscillator Rob Mills Swap 3 September 21st 06 01:44 AM
Practice morse code bob General 6 March 7th 06 03:43 AM
SS Practice for GOP convention Moderate Mammal Shortwave 5 August 26th 04 04:32 PM