Old May 29th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Greeting and test

Hello gang,

Just got a new computer (need a new HF station to go with it too LOL) and am
connecting up to newsgroups. Looks good so far. Took me until 2:00 AM the
day I received it as I had to clean out the computer room (orders) and then
found out the thing does *not* like my USB 1 or 1.1 devices. Ethernet took
care of the USB on the DSL modem.

Along with a nice day here, a new job, new computer and some friends
stopping over, things couldn't be much nicer in these parts.

Hope everyone else is having a decent day.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old May 29th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Jim Hampton wrote:
Hello gang,

Just got a new computer (need a new HF station to go with it too LOL)
and am connecting up to newsgroups. Looks good so far. Took me until
2:00 AM the day I received it as I had to clean out the computer room
(orders) and then found out the thing does *not* like my USB 1 or 1.1
devices. Ethernet took care of the USB on the DSL modem.

Hello Jim, good to see you here!

I know what you mean about the USB business, The newer stuff doesn't
like the older stuff, and most (maybe all) Ham equipment still uses
Serial. So I have to get a USB-Serial converter.

My brand new TS-480 is that way. It will probably be a while before the
Manufacturers catch up, after all, USB has only been around since 1995
or so. ;^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old May 30th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Hello Jim, good to see you here!

I know what you mean about the USB business, The newer stuff doesn't like
the older stuff, and most (maybe all) Ham equipment still uses Serial. So
I have to get a USB-Serial converter.

My brand new TS-480 is that way. It will probably be a while before the
Manufacturers catch up, after all, USB has only been around since 1995 or
so. ;^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Hello Mike,

Now all I need is a good CW key to USB converter ..... : )

I've got a few 12AX7s, one 12AT7, and a couple of 12AU7s. Got any
schematics for a converter using them? )

Seriously, I am trying to get everything together on this end. I need a few
e-mail addys (you know what I mean) as I've nothing in the compooter LOL.
I'm about to try the Kodak digital camera .... USB 1.0 .... I think I've got
to get another camera. That thing is USB 1.0 and methinks that the newest
operating systems consider them about equal to ISA busses

All kidding aside, folks cannot possibly know how much is offered in amateur
radio. One has to get interested and go beyond - well beyond - the tests.
If it sparks an interest, the sky is the limit. I keep reading QST and the
Radio Amateur's Handbook. I enjoy the articles. When the VA put me on to a
possible job, I went and applied. There was a test attached. Fill in the
blanks. Simple schematic *symbols*. All were easy for me. Grounds,
capacitors, crystals, inductors. But you'd best be able to identify
transistors. Not just NPN and PNP bipolar transistors, but N-channel and
P-channel JFETs as well as enhancement mode and depletion mode IGFETs.
Simple enough so long as you get hooked with the ham radio virus LOL.

It seems so silly to argue over who is 'qualified' as a ham. Darn, the
purpose, at least to me, is to introduce folks to communication and
electronics. Let everyone take it from there.

So long as we treat each other with respect, we may well get the opportunity
to 'infect' some more youngsters with the bug. And get them to progress.
Get a degree in electronics or physics, or at least get involved as a
technician. One never knows what ham radio can lead to. I've had the good
fortune to see what ham radio can do. I believe it was in 1968 that Hans
(K0HB) and I re-established communications between Saipan and Guam. The
Navy had a problem. The hams got the comms going. And I'd be happy to
serve again with Hans in the lead. Never argue with a chief - especially a
*master* chief. He is one heck of a guy. We both did what we had to do.

Life is too short, my friend, to let animosities get in the way. D@mn the
torpedoes, full speed ahead!

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA - Vietnam vet and thankful to have had Hans at the other end of
the circuit way back when sparkplug, sparkplug1, and KG6AAY hooked up on 75
meters. Kilo Golf six All American Yankee

AKC personal greeting going out to PALADEN Cry_Keyclowns_Cry CB 12 November 6th 04 12:06 AM
HELP: how to eliminate the greeting nag on Yaesu FT-90 ?? VE3PMK Equipment 6 December 16th 03 03:23 AM
HELP: how to eliminate the greeting nag on Yaesu FT-90 ?? VE3PMK Equipment 0 December 15th 03 01:10 AM
Greeting KØHB Policy 1 November 19th 03 10:00 AM
NEW HAM AMY in DC Send her a greeting!! patricia ayres Swap 2 August 3rd 03 09:38 PM