Old August 1st 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default APRS and Igate

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 01:45:20 EDT, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

KC4UAI wrote:
On Jul 31, 4:02 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

A TNC, either software or hardware

Um... You say software? What is out there?

I know it's a bit dated, but an example of a software TNC
would be the Baycom modem that was used with the Commodore
C-64 computer. Simply a tone modem IC and the actual bit
shuffling was done by the computer.

Kind of like the WinModem for the PC that let the computer
do all the "what's this" stuff and made the modems totally
useless under anything other than the Windows OS.

A modern software that works with windows is AGWPE created by SV2AGW.
You can download it here http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/default.htm
This site tells you how to use it http://www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/
73 de Dick, AC7EL

Old August 1st 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KI6SFG wrote:
Gary,

I suggest you get an old PC, put Linux on it, and become very familiar
with the OS. Then, compile a custom kernel that includes the AX.25
features and leaves out what you don't need.

Keep it simple and small: you risk losing interest if you try too much
at once.

73, Bill W1AC

Bill, I am wondering why linux as apposed to windows? Are you just
trying to keep the system simple and inexpensive?

Could you explain a little more about the AX.25?

I downloaded the IU-view software and loaded it on to my desktop
computer. I understood that with a radio that would receive 144.39 (in
my case a scanner) that I could use the computer's sound card and
IU-view to port packet signals on to the internet? I am not interested
in transmitting from home at this point, just receiving signals and
getting them to APRS.fi.

Gary

Gary,

AX.25 is the protocol that was used for packet transmission on ham radio
when I was using packet: I assume it's still the standard, since Linux
still has the option. It might help you to think of it as TCP/IP with
ham calls signs added.

If the Windows-based software is free, reliable, and meets your needs,
and you already have a Windows-based PC you're willing to dedicate to an
Igate, then you can certainly use that. However, I find Linux to be an
excellent substitute for Windows, especially for "single function"
machines such as a BBS or packet gateway. Linux is also able to run on
much older hardware than Windows, and (most importantly) offers native
support for the AX.25 protocol stack, allowing full use of higher-level
applications without modification: to Linux, AX.25 and TCP/IP are just
two different MAC layers.

Not to mention that Linux is free-as-in-speech, and the license says so.

73, Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)

Old August 1st 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
Bill Horne wrote:

Gary,

AX.25 is the protocol that was used for packet transmission on ham radio
when I was using packet: I assume it's still the standard, since Linux
still has the option.

Yes, it is. It's showing its age but is still in use.

It might help you to think of it as TCP/IP with
ham calls signs added.

I think it's more proper to think of it as a lower-level protocol...
more like Ethernet, with callsigns taking the place of Ethernet MAC
addresses.

AX.25 can transmit its own style of datagrams, or data streams
(analogous to UDP and TCP respectively), and it can also carry IP
packets (and thus TCP and UDP).

If the Windows-based software is free, reliable, and meets your needs,
and you already have a Windows-based PC you're willing to dedicate to an
Igate, then you can certainly use that. However, I find Linux to be an
excellent substitute for Windows, especially for "single function"
machines such as a BBS or packet gateway. Linux is also able to run on
much older hardware than Windows, and (most importantly) offers native
support for the AX.25 protocol stack, allowing full use of higher-level
applications without modification: to Linux, AX.25 and TCP/IP are just
two different MAC layers.

Yup. 'Tis a definite advantage.

Once you've cut your teeth on handling a single AX.25 hookup on a
Linux system, you can (if desired) expand to running a whole stack of
AX.25 ports on the same system, with the same applications... doing
AX.25 routing, running a BBS, and so forth.

There are at least four ways to run ham packet on Linux:

- A full-powered TNC (like a PackRatt or a TAPR or MFJ TNC-2 or clone),
connected via a serial port - just like Windows. In this
arrangement, the TNC itself handles the full AX.25 protocol, and
you talk to it (via Linux) using a terminal emulator.

- With a TNC (full-featured or limited function) in "KISS" mode.
In this mode, the TNC handles the over-the-air transmission and
reception of packets, the Linux kernel handles all of the higher-
level AX.25 protocol support, and Linux applications provide the
connection management, BBS capability, etc.

- With a sound-card interface and a "soft modem" application. There's
no separate TNC - Linux uses the CPU (as a DSP, in effect) and sound
card to implement a modem, which then registers itself with the Linux
kernel as a "KISS" TNC... everything above this point is just like
the previous approach.

- Linux kernel AX.25, encapsulated into Ethernet (and then into
IP if you want). Good for connecting together multiple packet
nodes into a network via the Internet.

You can run two or more of these approaches on the same Linux system
at the same time, if you wish.

Not to mention that Linux is free-as-in-speech, and the license says so.

And also very close to free-as-in-beer, if you're already paying for a
broadband connection through which you can download it. With Linux
you can also see the source code to the full software stack (which can
be very good at times, and can also cause you the screaming horrors
occasionally) and make changes if you wish.

In fairness, Windows also supports at least three of these modes (full
TNC, KISS TNC, and sound-card "softmodem TNC"). I don't know about
Ethernet/IP encapsulation of AX.25.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old August 4th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

A modern software that works with windows is AGWPE created by SV2AGW.
You can download it here http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/default.htm
This site tells you how to use it http://www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/
73 de Dick, AC7EL

Plus the APRSPoint software has a software TNC. If software TNC is all
that is desired, it is overkill, but for a complete setup, maps, dots,
and internet or RF station placement, it is pretty good.

Around 50 dollars for the program by itself, around 70 for the Programs
plus MapPoint.

Only problem I had was when I changed my call sign, it wouldn't work
for me. An email to their support fixed that in a couple hours. Service
is good.

note: I am not affiliated with APRSPoint in any way, and the above is
just the musings of a happy customer, and not an invitation to buy or
sell the product.

- 73 de

APRS a different way Michael Coslo Moderated 1 July 19th 07 03:13 AM
aprs ads-b Andrew Rich General 0 December 3rd 06 01:12 PM
aprsd - igate John Woodstock Digital 0 August 2nd 03 09:17 PM
aprsd - igate John Woodstock Digital 0 August 2nd 03 09:17 PM
Is a KPC-3 ok for APRS? VHFRadioBuff Digital 0 August 1st 03 03:55 AM