Old September 14th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Tristao towers

Funny how time slips by when you're not paying attention.

I've always wanted a tower. I was impressed by the one at the
club station that I used to hang out and bother the operators
before I was licensed.

At long last, 41 years after I got my novice license, I have
a tower.

Admittedly, it's still laying on it's side in the driveway
having laid in a friend's back yard for 11 years. ;-) But...
I _have_ my tower now.

A simple affair, not self supporting, it needs to bolted to
the side of the house and the top needs guying when all the
way up. And sure, it's only 38' tall. But I _have_ my tower
now.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Old September 14th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message
Funny how time slips by when you're not paying attention.

I've always wanted a tower. I was impressed by the one at the
club station that I used to hang out and bother the operators
before I was licensed.

At long last, 41 years after I got my novice license, I have
a tower.

Admittedly, it's still laying on it's side in the driveway
having laid in a friend's back yard for 11 years. ;-) But...
I _have_ my tower now.

A simple affair, not self supporting, it needs to bolted to
the side of the house and the top needs guying when all the
way up. And sure, it's only 38' tall. But I _have_ my tower
now.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Hi Jeff.

Congratulations I know the feeling! Hope you get the tower into use without
too much of a delay.

73, Ian G4EAN.

Old September 15th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 02:12:42 EDT, Jeffrey D Angus
wrote:

Funny how time slips by when you're not paying attention.

I've always wanted a tower. I was impressed by the one at the
club station that I used to hang out and bother the operators
before I was licensed.

At long last, 41 years after I got my novice license, I have
a tower.

Admittedly, it's still laying on it's side in the driveway
having laid in a friend's back yard for 11 years. ;-) But...
I _have_ my tower now.

A simple affair, not self supporting, it needs to bolted to
the side of the house and the top needs guying when all the
way up. And sure, it's only 38' tall. But I _have_ my tower
now.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Jeff-1.0,
You may want to check carefully for corrosion and if you find any
get the surface scraped down and get it hot dipped galvanized.
73,
Ed, N5EI

Old September 16th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

I've always wanted a tower. I was impressed by the one at the
club station that I used to hang out and bother the operators
before I was licensed.

You may want to check carefully for corrosion and if you find any
get the surface scraped down and get it hot dipped galvanized.

You may also want to check with your local building department to see
if the local codes make any special provisions/requirements when used
towers are installed.

You are getting a building permit (not to be confused with a use or
zoning permit), right?
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old September 16th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

I've always wanted a tower. I was impressed by the one at the
club station that I used to hang out and bother the operators
before I was licensed.

You may want to check carefully for corrosion and if you find any
get the surface scraped down and get it hot dipped galvanized.

You may also want to check with your local building department to see
if the local codes make any special provisions/requirements when used
towers are installed.

You are getting a building permit (not to be confused with a use or
zoning permit), right?
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Most towns are responsible for how they put up light and utility poles. Get
in touch with their public works people. When you follow their own specs
there's not much more they can say since you have found their own point of
liability.

Old October 4th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Phil Kane wrote:
You are getting a building permit (not to be confused with a
use or zoning permit), right?

Well, not to fall into the "I don't need one" category, but this
tower is akin to putting an extension ladder along side the house.

Two sections, not self-supporting. Once the base section is in
place, you can raise the second section. Total height is 38 feet.

But I will check the local building codes to see what they have
to say about things. I believe (may be urban legend) that certain
"structures" (both masts and towers) may have a "not needed below
a certain height" condition.

Were this a self standing 85 foot Rohn beast and I were planning
on doing more than maybe a simple tri-bander, I wouldn't hesitate
to have it engineered first then pull a permit.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Old October 4th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:31:25 EDT, Jeffrey D Angus
wrote:

Phil Kane wrote:
You are getting a building permit (not to be confused with a
use or zoning permit), right?

Well, not to fall into the "I don't need one" category, but this
tower is akin to putting an extension ladder along side the house.

The main reason that I recommend it is your insurance may be
invalidated if one is necessary and you don't have the permit and
inspection.

But I will check the local building codes to see what they have
to say about things. I believe (may be urban legend) that certain
"structures" (both masts and towers) may have a "not needed below
a certain height" condition.

No urban legend - the Uniform Building Code (now called something
else) exempts roof-mounted masts up to 12 feet in length. This covers
most residential TV antenna installations.

Were this a self standing 85 foot Rohn beast and I were planning
on doing more than maybe a simple tri-bander, I wouldn't hesitate
to have it engineered first then pull a permit.

Smart move!
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest