Old September 30th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Radio path prediction

This is a sort of follow-up to my post on 80 meter verticals, but in
reading AC7EL's reply, I realized I may be (excuse the expression)
barking up the wrong tree.

I am content with ragchewing to locals on 80, but I also want to have a
reliable path to my brother's QTH, so the question is really "How do I
choose the best band for QSO's from Boston to Washington, D.C."?

Now, obviously, this is a complex topic, but I'm looking for other hams
who've set up similar paths: about 450 miles, IIRC. It's just outside
the range I'd expect from a "NVIS" dipole on 80, but might be short for
40. If you've dealt with similar path lengths, please chime in.

TIA.

73,

Bill W1AC

--
Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my address for direct replies.)

Old October 1st 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In Bill Horne
wrote:

I am content with ragchewing to locals on 80, but I also want to have
a reliable path to my brother's QTH, so the question is really "How do
I choose the best band for QSO's from Boston to Washington, D.C."?

Lots of propagation prediction programs on the net. I've played with,
but never put to practical use

http://www.voacap.com/
http://www.dxatlas.com/HamCap/
http://elbert.its.bldrdoc.gov/pc_hf/

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN

Old October 2nd 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In addition to the propagation programs Bert recommended, there is this one
that is very easy to use:

http://www.qsl.net/w6elprop/

Tad Cook, author of the ARRL propagation bulletin, often cites this program
in his bulletins. I have it and like it a lot.

Old October 2nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Bill Horne wrote:
This is a sort of follow-up to my post on 80 meter verticals, but in
reading AC7EL's reply, I realized I may be (excuse the expression)
barking up the wrong tree.

I am content with ragchewing to locals on 80, but I also want to have a
reliable path to my brother's QTH, so the question is really "How do I
choose the best band for QSO's from Boston to Washington, D.C."?

Now, obviously, this is a complex topic, but I'm looking for other hams
who've set up similar paths: about 450 miles, IIRC. It's just outside
the range I'd expect from a "NVIS" dipole on 80, but might be short for
40. If you've dealt with similar path lengths, please chime in.

Hi Bill,

Keep in mind that an antenna height that is NVIS on 80 meters, won't
necessarily be so on 40 meters. A backyard dipole should do nicely from
Boston to Washington. I regularly have QSO's from The middle of PA to
all over New England on 40 meters, and get some impressive results on
both ends, So the path is there.

Now on to your band question.

One of the side benefits of doing a State QSO Party is I can see what
bands tend to go where.

And this info is not cast in stone - it is just general.

80 meters is pretty local during the day. Around 200 miles is max. At
night, it extends a lot further. 160 is similar, only worse for
locality. And of course it's quite a job getting a good antenna up for
it. 160 meters would not be a good choice for comms between you and your
brother, and 80 would probably be a little marginal during the daytime

40 meters daytime is usually pretty dependable from local to 500 some
miles. It does some times "go long". When that happens, fairly local
signals, around a hundred miles or so away, will fade away, while
several hundred out will come in great. In the evening, 40 goes
worldwide. When the Broadcast stations finally get out of the Ham
section of 40 meters, it will be a golden age for us. At present, you'll
still be able to reach your desired distance, you'll just have to find a
clear space.

40 is a pretty good choice.

20 meters tends to have an interesting skip path. From Central PA, I get
out Gangbusters to Florida, and the mid and far west. Not so good a
hundred miles away. Some times it stays open late in the evening,
sometimes it closes early

Higher in frequency is more of the same, only exaggerated. 15 Meters
tends to close earlier, etc.

If it were me, I would set up a dipole so that it would fire in the
desired direction, and have the other party do the same. 40 meters would
be the band.

I've purposely not gone too much into propagation models, as I think
they can get a bit unwieldy.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old October 3rd 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:30:50 EDT, Michael Coslo wrote:

Hi Bill,

Keep in mind that an antenna height that is NVIS on 80 meters, won't
necessarily be so on 40 meters.

I agree. My HF antenna is 3 dipoles, one each for 75, 40 and 20, suspended
vertically with one foot spacing and fed with a common feed point. The top
dipole is for 75, and the ends are about 25 feet high and the center droops to
about 22 feet. Each dipole works independently (with mild interaction) because
the desired dipole has a 50-ish impedance, and the other two have high
impedances at the current operating frequency. I can operate on 75,40 and 20
with only my transceiver's built-in tuner (2.0 SWR max). I can also operate on
15 (third harmonic of 40) with an external tuner.

On 75, I have NVIS. On 40, I can talk a half a continent away. On 20, I can
talk world-wide.
73 de Dick, AC7EL

importing (modified) path profile data into Radio Mobile propagationprediction SW. Wimpie[_2_] Antenna 0 May 29th 11 10:19 PM
steve back on lie path [email protected] Policy 2 April 3rd 06 03:02 PM
UHF penetration & path loss Q: Ken Bessler Antenna 5 April 20th 05 01:57 PM
LU1ZA QSL Path? Phil - N1KI Dx 6 January 5th 04 12:59 AM
LU1ZA QSL Path? Phil - N1KI Dx 0 January 4th 04 05:39 PM