Old June 9th 10, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default Webinar on How to Use the New ARRL Web Site

Midwest Division ARRL Members have been invited to attend an online
Webinar on How to Use the New ARRL Web Site. The Webinar will be on
June 15, 2010 from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM CDT, and is sponsored by Atlantic
Division Director Bill Edgar N3LLR. See the topics and list of
presenters below. To reserve a seat for the Webinar, click on the link
below or copy and paste the link into your browser.

73, Cliff K0CA

How to Use the New ARRL Web Site

Join us for a Webinar on June 15

Space is limited.

Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/704588721

We will be discussing the thought behind and the capabilities of the
new ARRL Website that debuted two months ago. Topics will include
registration, setting up your profile, navigation, how to save
Favorites and use of other new and advanced features. We will also be
taking questions from participants. Presenters will include Harold
Kramer, ARRL COO; Katie Glass, ARRL Digital Content Manager; and Brent
Robertson, KB1PYY, President of Fathom, the firm that designed the
site.

Title: How to Use the New ARRL Web Site

Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Time: 9:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000

Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4.11 (Tiger®) or newer

ARRL Midwest Division
Director: Cliff H Ahrens, K0CA

Old June 11th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Is it just me, or does it seem wrong somehow, that you need a webinar to
teach you how to find stuff on a website? Especially since all the stuff
was easy to find in the old, lame, outdated website that just did it's jo
b?

Could someone help me to understand the philosophy here?

73,
Steve
W1KF

Old June 11th 10, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Steve,

I agree. It is bizarre that people would need a webinar to learn how
to find stuff. The old site wasn't broken. "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it." It's just like when Microsoft or some other software
company comes out with a new and "improved" program or operating
system. You have to learn how to use it all over again.

And many links on the site don't work.

How come only Midwest Division members get to have a webinar?
What about us out West? Or New Englander? Or Southerners?

Yesterday, I tried to use the Field Day site locator to locate Field
Day sites. The search function didn't work. But I was able to
mouse-drag the map to the area I wanted.

Dick AC7EL

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:38:46 EDT, Steve Reinhardt
wrote:

Is it just me, or does it seem wrong somehow, that you need a webinar to
teach you how to find stuff on a website? Especially since all the stuff
was easy to find in the old, lame, outdated website that just did it's jo
b?

Could someone help me to understand the philosophy here?

73,
Steve
W1KF

On 6/9/2010 9:56 AM, ARRL Members Only Web site wrote:
Midwest Division ARRL Members have been invited to attend an online
Webinar on How to Use the New ARRL Web Site. The Webinar will be on
[ snip ]

Old June 11th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dick Grady AC7EL" wrote

I agree. It is bizarre that people would need a webinar to learn how
to find stuff. The old site wasn't broken. "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it." It's just like when Microsoft or some other software
company comes out with a new and "improved" program or operating
system. You have to learn how to use it all over again.

And many links on the site don't work.

I, too, agree. It was working fine, and now I have a harder time finding
things. At least once I do find something I use often, such as Product
Reviews, I can save it on the site to my favorites. Otherwise I'll never
find it again. The only improvement I see is that it's.... prettier.

*sigh*

Howard N7SO

Old June 12th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

In Dick Grady AC7EL writes:

Steve,

I agree. It is bizarre that people would need a webinar to learn how
to find stuff.

Training can be useful, even in organizations full of experts, to
quickly and efficiently get everyone up to a baseline of knowledge, as
well as be able to get/contribute consistent results. I certainly
expect that most amateurs, and ARRL members, are technically savvy, and
can quickly come up to speed with new systems and technologies. Those
like you and me that "grew up" with technologies like the Internet in
their personal and professional lives may find them to be intuitive.
Others may not. Not everyone might be able to quickly self-train, and
the alternative to accessible one-to-many training like webinars may be
to devote a lot of individual customer service support to those who
might need extra assistance.

The old site wasn't broken. "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it." It's just like when Microsoft or some other software
company comes out with a new and "improved" program or operating
system. You have to learn how to use it all over again.

Welcome to the world of the technology life cycle! Though perhaps
you've been here before...

Unfortunately systems don't exist in a vacuum, nor do they have infinite
lifespans. They require a lot of supporting infrastructure, including
hardware, operating systems, applications, as well as trained
administrators and users. Each provider of the individual pieces may
choose to improve (or try to improve) their products periodically, and
make obsolete, or "end-of-life" their previous versions. Finite
resources means having to make sometimes difficult tradeoffs between
supporting the old and developing the new. Hardware might not be
available on the new or reconditioned market, or have parts available,
or be able to run current versions of operating systems. Operating
systems may no longer have security updates, documentation, and training
provided by their vendors. Same with applications. Current
applications may not run on old operating systems and hardware, or
vice-versa. Trying to maintain in-house training for old systems in the
face of lack of support from vendors and turnover in staff can be
daunting. Maybe the ARRL was facing all of these challenges, and
decided that this was a good time to upgrade. Perhaps the new site is
much easier to extend and support new advanced features. I would even
be sympathetic to the need for an upgrade if the new site was
feature-neutral, but was easier or less expensive to maintain, or had
higher performance and capacity.

While the overall long-term progress is commendable, there are those
speed bumps when doing transitions and upgrades. I at least credit the
ARRL for trying to run both systems in parallel during a test phase,
then cutting over when the site substantially worked (even taking the
hit and embarrassment when it was clear that they needed to delay
rollout due to performance issues). Internal systems at the ARRL have
been rolled out this way for many years. It's only now more visible
when applied to directly member-accessible resources like their web
site.

Somewhat imperfect analogy: It's like asking why didn't we stick with
the '57 Chevy or the Saturn V rocket (or the Drake transceiver), as
those were notable examples of what worked well in the past. The
general answer is that those examples were quite serviceable for their
time, but technology improves and is incorporated into new products.
Blueprints and other institutional knowledge for '57 Chevy's and Saturn
V rockets exist, but unless you have huge warehouses of original
New-Old-Stock (NOS) parts, or existing factories that can make "vintage"
components (anything from transistors to just era-specific screws and
bolts), you may wind up having to re-engineer, re-integrate, and
re-certify a design with currently available components, and at that
point, you may as well have started with a clean sheet design in the
first place.

(The analogy is imperfect, as I know that small-scale boutique or
cottage industries have licensed the '57 Chevy tooling and blueprints
from GM and can provide identical, sometimes improved, versions of
nearly 100% of the original parts catalog, including a full body, for a
'57 Chevy. But that's still not practical or cost-effective for
large-scale production of something to be used for modern, everyday
transportation. Especially if it has to meet current safety and
reliability standards. Drake ran out of parts for some of its legendary
amateur radio equipment some years back, is not planning to reproduce
them, nor are third-party vendors stepping up to do so.)

And many links on the site don't work.

It seems that that's the biggest "bug" in the new system. That, and not
making sure that all existing direct links from the old site, that might
be stored in members' bookmark files (such as the A-1 operators page),
had redirection from old names to new so that members were not
experiencing broken links. At the very least, all old addresses that
were deleted or modified should have been redirected to the main page,
instead of returning a "404" Error with no further information.

How come only Midwest Division members get to have a webinar?
What about us out West? Or New Englander? Or Southerners?

It appears that the Atlantic Division leadership took the initiative to
set up these webinars for the benefit of their members, using volunteers
and free or inexpensive on-line resources (i.e., it's not a fully-funded
ARRL-wide service yet). They have done webinars on other
amateur-radio-related topics in the past, not just "simple" ones like
ARRL web site training, and are likely to do others in the future. They
seem to be treating it as a pilot/proof-of-concept with the intention of
gradually rolling it out to other Divisions. Immediate expansion to
everyone may not be practical due to limited current resources, such as
the maximum number of attendees that can be accommodated at the
gotomeeting.com site. I think that it's a commendable initiative, and I
choose to view the present glass as half-full rather than half-empty,
and look forward to when it can be filled.

Yesterday, I tried to use the Field Day site locator to locate Field
Day sites. The search function didn't work. But I was able to
mouse-drag the map to the area I wanted.

Was the Field Day site locator available on the old site? If not, then
maybe that's an example of a new capability that wasn't practical to
roll out on the old site. I agree that it should have been fully
functional when rolled out to production, but the fact that it was
available and partially working shows that the ARRL is planning
improvements over the old site.

Dick AC7EL

- --
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Old June 12th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 6/11/2010 8:36 AM, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

Steve,

I agree. It is bizarre that people would need a webinar to learn how
to find stuff. The old site wasn't broken. "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it." It's just like when Microsoft or some other software
company comes out with a new and "improved" program or operating
system. You have to learn how to use it all over again.

And many links on the site don't work.

TO take this issue first.. The web site is supposed to have a ton of new
features.. And a conference (Training conference) which is what this is
can help you to forget,, ur, learn to quickly access the features you need.

As for why only Midwest.. Cause that's the directors sponsoring the
event.. Other directors are welcome to do the same in their areas.

Old June 13th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Jun 12, 12:24 pm, John Davis wrote:
On 6/11/2010 8:36 AM, Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

Steve,

I agree. It is bizarre that people would need a webinar to learn how
to find stuff. The old site wasn't broken. "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it." It's just like when Microsoft or some other software
company comes out with a new and "improved" program or operating
system. You have to learn how to use it all over again.

And many links on the site don't work.

TO take this issue first.. The web site is supposed to have a ton of new
features.. And a conference (Training conference) which is what this is
can help you to forget,, ur, learn to quickly access the features you nee

d.

As for why only Midwest.. Cause that's the directors sponsoring the
event.. Other directors are welcome to do the same in their areas.

It is a matter of perspective and temperament.

My own perspective is that intelligent and smart people can and should
design websites that allow people to do what they want, without having
to learn or have other extraneous "stuff" get in their way. That stuff
can act as a barrier.

Illustrative related story: I needed a new pair of skates, and I
needed the quickly for a game the next morning. I like CCM skates, so
I went to their website. I get a screen saying I needed to install a
new version of Flash player. No other choice, and I wasn't going to
get to see anything if I didn't. So I download the new version.
Install, and I had to reboot. I'm starting to get annoyed. Then I go
to the site again. Computer freezes. Task manager wasn't up to the
task, so I had to hard shutdown, safe boot, restart. Okay, I'll give
it another try. I went to the site, and got to see that critical Flash
animation. It was a goalie sliding sideways across the screen. 45
minutes of messing around to see a goalie slide across the screen. I
left them a note explaining that if I hadn't been committed to buying
their skates, I would have given up and gone to another site and
probably not given CCM another look.

The ARRL website is a true failure. broken links, and if we have to be
trained to use it, it moves all the way to epic failure. I used to
visit daily, now I don't use it at all. It has moved from being a
great resource to something I avoid. Seriously, how does this site get
published with bad links? Any decent web publishing package will run a
check on your links and tell you which ones don't work.

There is a lesson here, and it is something that web designers have
come across again and again, from the days of designing websites
specifically for Internet Explorer, and bragging about it. Web
designers have their preferences. I've sat in meetings where a
designer has declared users that don't have whatever "feature" he
wants to put in the page as irrelevant. It is also why a lot of
businesses have to use Internet explorer 6, as bad a program as that
is, they've designed their web apps specifically for it.

The lesson is that web pages should be designed for the user, not the
designer. If training is involved, if links don't work, then it is
hard to call this one a success.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old June 14th 10, 10:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:41:59 EDT, Paul W. Schleck
" wrote:

In Dick Grady AC7EL writes:
Yesterday, I tried to use the Field Day site locator to locate Field
Day sites. The search function didn't work. But I was able to
mouse-drag the map to the area I wanted.

Was the Field Day site locator available on the old site?

It was on the old site for the last 2 years, and worked perfectly.

The arrl.org web site is intended for all people, hams and non-hams
alike, and not just for a specialized subset of people who can get
training. It is bad design if the general public cannot find what
they need without taking a class. Heck, I have problems finding stuff
on the site, and I'm an experienced ham and I have my own web site.

Dick AC7EL