Old April 5th 04, 08:39 AM
Andy Gingrich

Default new to group, looking for equipment recommendations

hi folks..

a quick intro- my name is andy and i am located in south-central
pennsylvania.

i recently purchased a
grundig yb 400 pe. this is a considerable upgrade from the equipment that
i had been using, but nevertheless, i am not completely satisfied with it.
i will be able to return it to the store that i purchased it at, if need be.

i have a copy of the latest 'passport to world band radio', which gives the
yb400pe a three star rating. basically, i am wondering if there may be a
better radio in my price range ($150-$300 USD) (or perhaps some sort of
aftermarket antenna) that would give me better performance in the area i am
located in. i definitely want SSB capability.

additionally, if anyone on this list lives in the vicinity, are there any
retailers nearby?...i'd prefer not to order online, if possible.

thanks very much
andy
remove 'nospam' to reply directly

Old April 5th 04, 11:25 AM
T. Early

"Andy Gingrich" wrote in message
[...]

The standard moderate "upgrade" for that radio without breaking the
bank is the Sony 7600GR, also discussed in Passport. Depending on
where you are, I'd suggest calling the Sony outlet store in Lancaster
and asking if they have any SW radios--since Sony has been
discontinuing, they may still have some--including even a Sony SW-07
or SW-77 (more expensive). Radio Shack also sells (or used to sell)
an inexpensive longwire antenna kit that may help.

Old April 5th 04, 11:30 AM
Diverd4777

Hi Andy

- Look here..

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../lantenna.html

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/index.html

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ire/index.html

Dan

1 -0400

Old April 5th 04, 05:48 PM
Love2camp5

Hi Andy,
While I am a newbie myself, I am from northeastern PA (about 20 miles north of
Scranton). I also bought a YB400PE in December for $149 at Radio Shack; just
sold it locally for $100.00. While I thought the FM band was great, the AM and
Shortwave bands did not seem to have the "volume" level I needed to listen
without sitting right in front of the radio.

I bought a Sangean ATS818ACS - it has a substantial increase in volume with
good sound quality, a tone control knob, and a built-in programmable cassette
tape recorder. Perhaps not a popular radio with most, but it is perfect for
me. It gets good SW reception with just the large whip antenna.

I think Grundig may be overrated, and it is no longer the German-made radio it
used to be.

Linda
Old April 7th 04, 02:52 AM
Robert Beck

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 03:39:21 -0400, "Andy Gingrich"
wrote:

[...]

You should consider purchasing a used Drake R8 or a Kenwood R-5000
desk top. You will get considerable performance improvement over any
prorable in the $150 - $300 range. You would however have to spend
$400 - $450. A new portable of any type in the $150 - $300 dollar
range is not likely to be much of an improvement over your YB400.
Look for a good used table top receiver.

Old April 7th 04, 05:06 AM
Mark S. Holden

Robert Beck wrote:
snip

You should consider purchasing a used Drake R8 or a Kenwood R-5000
desk top. You will get considerable performance improvement over any
prorable in the $150 - $300 range. You would however have to spend
$400 - $450. A new portable of any type in the $150 - $300 dollar
range is not likely to be much of an improvement over your YB400.
Look for a good used table top receiver.

I think this is good advice - if you don't want to use it as a portable.

I took an R8 camping a few times, and it meant running a wire to the car
for power.

If you're not wait while you save up funds, you might consider a Ten-tec
rx-320 or rx-320d. They run about $200-225 used. New they're about
$325. The draw back to this radio is it's strictly computer controlled.

There are also some radios that are in the small tabletop category with
internal batteries. The Lowe HF-150 and Palstar R30 come to mind.
Used, they're likely to run about $350-450. Personally, if both were
available, I'd take the Lowe.

Old April 7th 04, 05:15 AM
Mark S. Holden

Mark S. Holden wrote:

Robert Beck wrote:

snip

You should consider purchasing a used Drake R8 or a Kenwood R-5000
desk top. You will get considerable performance improvement over any
prorable in the $150 - $300 range. You would however have to spend
$400 - $450. A new portable of any type in the $150 - $300 dollar
range is not likely to be much of an improvement over your YB400.
Look for a good used table top receiver.

I think this is good advice - if you don't want to use it as a portable.

I took an R8 camping a few times, and it meant running a wire to the car
for power.

If you're not looking to wait while you save up funds, you might consider a Ten-tec