Old February 13th 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default CAI comments on HR 1301

Thanks to HamRadioNow.tv and its posting in rec.radio.info (Message-ID:
) for the information about the
comments made by the Community Associations Institute (an umbrella group
for HOAs) to the House Subcommittee on Communications and Technology about
HR 1301, the Amateur Radio Parity Act. I downloaded CAI's statement from
their website (it's also available on house.gov), and I just wrote to Rep.
Anna Eshoo, who is on the full House Energy and Commerce Committee that
will next review HR 1301, and who represents my part of the San Francisco
Peninsula.

The CAI is proposing seven amendments to the bill. While some of them
look quite good, two are concerning:

3. Association authority to establish written rules concerning safety,
height, location, size, and installation requirements for external
antennas, towers, or other apparatus necessary for carrying on amateur
service communications;

4. Accommodation of the interests of all homeowners and residents,
including those of an amateur services licensee, in establishment
of any written rule related, but not limited to, sight easements,
interference with air, light, and open space, or the permitted
height of principal structures in relation to external antennas,
towers, or other apparatus necessary for carrying on amateur service
communications;

In my comments to Rep. Eshoo, I urged her to question those two proposed
amendments. ("Interference with air"--what does that even mean???) Wherever
a local (town/city/county/state) government has instituted laws/regulations
to implement PRB-1, any HOA rules, CC&Rs, etc. should copy those regulations.
If no such local guidance exists, I think HOAs should be required to consult
with the ARRL, which has decades of technical and legal experience in
integrating amateur radio antennas into communities.

Here is a full list of Energy and Commerce Committee members:

https://energycommerce.house.gov/abo...mittee-members

Even if your local House member isn't on it, you could still send
your thoughts about HR 1301 to the League for forwarding to appropriate
House members. They even suggest that you route written letters through
them:

http://www.arrl.org/amateur-radio-parity-act

Patty

Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #1301 Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Dx 0 January 22nd 17 04:30 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #1301 Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Info 0 January 22nd 17 04:30 PM
SX-100 comments Don Bowey Boatanchors 1 February 7th 08 09:21 AM
Comments to the FCC on WT 05-235 K4YZ Policy 35 August 10th 05 04:08 AM
BBC - I wonder why no comments [email protected] Shortwave 12 May 29th 05 09:38 PM