Old October 7th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Check the SWR on your HF antenna's.

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 12:40:08 -0400, Chuck Harris wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:28:10 -0400, Chuck Harris wrote:

Actually top posting is a sign of *experience*. Us guys that were on the
internet back when it was run by darpa always top posted. That was because
we were running very slow lines, typically 110 to 300 baud, and
it was desirable
not to have to wait through the down load of a dozen copies of the

same quoted

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

My bull**** detector just went off real loud. Here is an authoritative
statement about ARPANET from one of Comer's books:

"Initially, most of the leased data circuits in the ARPANET operated
at 56 Kbps, a speed considered extremely fast in 1968 but slow by
current standards." -- Douglas E. Comer, Internetworking with TCP/IP,
Volume One, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall (1995), page 57.

Yep, those were the *backbones* of ARPANET. We had *ONE* at the University
of Maryland back in the 1970s. That leased line cost thousands of dollars
per month, and was paid for by darpa. Compare that to the backbones of today
which are measured in terrabits per second. These 56K backbones were
connected to mainframe computers that acted as concentrators, and provided
connections to other mainframes, and to thousands of users on timesharing
systems. Yes, I have that right, *thousands* of users shared a single 56K
backbone.

Those users that were local to the concentrator (eg, in the computer room)
were connected to the mainframe by various speed RS-232 lines, but those who
were on remote dial up connections were connected by good old bell 103,
110 to 300 baud modems.

300 baud, my ass! You should have been on a time sharing machine
connected directly to the 56K ARPANET,

Yep, we were on timesharing machines, Univac 1106's, 1108's, and 1140's,
and as I said, thousands of users shared a single 56K leased line into
Darpanet. Do the math, if you can't, I'll help you:

56K/1000 = 56 bps.

So you think that 1000 users at your location were always using
ARPANET simultaneously? Please don't tell me that someone gave you an
engineering degree, because you obviously didn't understand the course
work.

If there were *only* 1000 users vying for the net at the same time, they
could each pump 56bps into the backbone. But there were many many more
than that, and they weren't always needing the net all of the time.
(hence the name concentrator)

Don't try to bull**** someone who has forgotten more about the subject
than you have yet to learn.

Riiiight! Just because you can look up darpa on a wiki somewhere, doesn't
mean you can understand what you have read.

Comer's books on TCP/IP are standards, and they don't involve a wiki.
They happen to be in my library of reference textbooks, and they
happen to be standard references kept in all university libraries.

The claim about slow speeds on ARPANET and Usenet is quite stupid.
ARPANET and Usenet did not exist at the same time. ARPANET didn't use
TCP/IP protocol, and it gave way to what is now called the Internet
when TCP/IP became the standard packet delivery protocol. Shortly
after that, the message posting system called Usenet was formalized to
run on the Internet and on several other message delivery systems
(such as UUCP). So your reference to ARPANET is simply irrelevant.
ARPANET and Usenet never coexisted, making the claims about 300 bps
and other speed limitations total BS intended to impress the ignorant.

Enough said. Conversation ended. You don't seem to be worth any
followup messages until you do some additional reading.

SC
Old October 7th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:59:07 GMT, Slow Code wrote:
john wrote in
:

I feel good that Slow Code doesn't have a ham license and is poisoning
the ham bands like he does the newsgroups. What's your call Slow Code?

KB9RQZ, and I'm retarded.

You are K4YZ, and Mark Morgan knows it, Steve.
Old October 8th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Chuck Harris on Sat, Oct 7 2006 12:40 pm

Thank you for the explanation. As a user on a corporate system
(RCA Corporation, EASD, Van Nuys, CA) '73 to '75, and with a
Tym-Share account (the time-sharing computer company), I concur.

Slow Code wrote:
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:28:10 -0400, Chuck Harris wrote:

Actually top posting is a sign of *experience*. Us guys that were on the
internet back when it was run by darpa always top posted. That was because
we were running very slow lines, typically 110 to 300 baud, and
it was desirable
not to have to wait through the down load of a dozen copies of the same quoted

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

My bull**** detector just went off real loud. Here is an authoritative
statement about ARPANET from one of Comer's books:

[Blowcode's ears must be ringing all the time from his
"bull**** detector" going off on his own postings... :-) ]

[...]

Heh heh heh...the "high tech" of its time, a mere 30+ years
ago. "Speedy" Teletype Model 33s (?) and "high speed" 300
baud video terminals (with local memory to print out screens
on Teletypes) where I was using it. :-)

300 baud, my ass! You should have been on a time sharing machine
connected directly to the 56K ARPANET,

Yep, we were on timesharing machines, Univac 1106's, 1108's, and 1140's,
and as I said, thousands of users shared a single 56K leased line into
Darpanet. Do the math, if you can't, I'll help you:

56K/1000 = 56 bps.

If there were *only* 1000 users vying for the net at the same time, they
could each pump 56bps into the backbone. But there were many many more
than that, and they weren't always needing the net all of the time.
(hence the name concentrator)

"Concentrators" still exist but in a vastly different form,
configuration, and specifications. As a personal computer
hobbyist since '76 I've not delved into them (no need to for
personal dial-up connections) but know many who are; they
have supplied some interesting literature on them as well as
in-person explanations.

so don't bother to backpedal by

I'm sorry, I don't backpedal for idiots. I don't brake for them either.

Blowcode is the road kill of this newsgroup...

claiming dialup speeds. (And of course Usenet didn't even begin until
the 80's, shortly after ARPANET had ended.)

Don't try to bull**** someone who has forgotten more about the subject
than you have yet to learn.

Riiiight! Just because you can look up darpa on a wiki somewhere, doesn't
mean you can understand what you have read.

HAAAAAA... :-)

Blowcode has never stated his amateur license call. Perhaps
he has "forgotten" it? :-)

Old October 8th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Who is Slow Code? What is his call???
Does anybody know???

Old October 8th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"john" wrote in message
Who is Slow Code? What is his call???
Does anybody know???

Slow Code may be AB8MQ.
However...comma...
AB8MQ has opined that Slow Code is Stagger Lee, hot-ham-and-cheese, or Dave
Heil, or Lloyd Davies, or Arf! Arf! or Billy Smith (who IS
hot-ham-and-cheese), or whoever else's name happens to pop into his demented
head at the time.

Dummy Mark, Resident Flamer Supreme and Bisexual No Coder, thinks Slow Code
is K4YZ, but in Mark's world EVERY post comes from YZ. Mark has not mastered
the fine art of reading headers.

I guess this does little to answer your question, but I'm sure that Mark
Morgan will post ten, fifteen or twenty posts minimum in response. On some
days Mark has made as many at 125 posts in as few as eight hours. It will be
totally up to you to try to interpret what Mark says simply because he uses
a strange dialect heretofore unseen in these groups.

If AB8MQ responds, his posts will be over anonymous sockpuppets, usually
three or four, but his trademark will be that his posts all contain filthy
comments that he cuts and pastes from one group to another. No originality
there.

Good luck.

Old October 8th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code wrote:
[...]

And gee, you only had to read the next sentence to see that I said no such
thing. Look down.

If there were *only* 1000 users vying for the net at the same time, they
could each pump 56bps into the backbone. But there were many many more
than that, and they weren't always needing the net all of the time.
(hence the name concentrator)

Don't try to bull**** someone who has forgotten more about the subject
than you have yet to learn.

Riiiight! Just because you can look up darpa on a wiki somewhere, doesn't
mean you can understand what you have read.

Comer's books on TCP/IP are standards, and they don't involve a wiki.
They happen to be in my library of reference textbooks, and they
happen to be standard references kept in all university libraries.

Just because you can find the names of some books by using google, doesn't
mean you have ever read them, or understood them. I have copies of all three
volumes of "Internetworking with TCP/IP- Client -Server Programming and
Applications" by Douglas E. Comer, and David L. Stevens, Prentice Hall on
my book shelf. (pick a page, any page, and I'll give you a quotation from it.)

If you note the copyright date of this series, you will see 1993. A mere
20 years after I started working with GE's world wide networks... top posting
my email on model 33 teletypes with bell 103 modems.

The claim about slow speeds on ARPANET and Usenet is quite stupid.

Really? Well, I suppose you think that everyone had 56K connections back
in the '70's. I worked in the Electrical Engineering department at the
University of Maryland, back then, and we were pretty proud of our first
9600 baud connection between the PDP11's, and the Univac's that had the
darpa connection. It wasn't until we got a VAX 11/780 that we got a
56K pipe to the Univac's that connected to the darpanet. That was around
1980. I think diapers were you most prominent media for communication back
then.

ARPANET and Usenet did not exist at the same time. ARPANET didn't use
TCP/IP protocol, and it gave way to what is now called the Internet
when TCP/IP became the standard packet delivery protocol.

Prior to usenet, a variation on email, we were using email broadcast lists.
The same top posting rules applied.

Usenet came into being while I was in graduate school, around 1980-83. I
remember there was quite a buzz at that time. Decwriters were 300 baud,
and the most common affortable modems were still using the Bell 103 standard
from the late '50s. 1200 baud modems were used for expensive applications,
usually computer to computer data transfer. The 1200 baud modem didn't come
into general use until DC Hayes produced an inexpensive model around 1983.
It was a real screamer compared to the Bell 103's.

Shortly
after that, the message posting system called Usenet was formalized to
run on the Internet and on several other message delivery systems
(such as UUCP). So your reference to ARPANET is simply irrelevant.
ARPANET and Usenet never coexisted, making the claims about 300 bps
and other speed limitations total BS intended to impress the ignorant.

Enough said. Conversation ended. You don't seem to be worth any
followup messages until you do some additional reading.

I don't need to read about it, I was there doing it. My first
exposure to a world wide network was GE's back around 1970. It was the
first commercial use of a global network. The normal terminal to connect
to that net was a Model 33 Teletype, with a bell 103 modem. I bet you
think they used Windows based PC's with 56K modems, and Netscape.

-Chuck
Old October 9th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

john wrote in
:

Who is Slow Code? What is his call???
Does anybody know???

Hello John. I'm KB9RQZ, and I just love CW. We need to bring back code
testing for Techs. 13 wpm should work fine, Then we can keep the
riff-raff off the repeaters and end all the bogus moon bounce contacts.

I've been burned by bogus EME contacts, but I'm a retard.

73'sssss & 88'sssssss

SC
Old October 9th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

" wrote in
ps.com:

From: Chuck Harris on Sat, Oct 7 2006 12:40 pm

Slow Code wrote:
[...]

I haven't forgotten it. It's a real 20WPM extra class licence. Not one of
them cheap Nickled down hand-out ones. Heee Heeee Heeeeeeeeee.

Ten-Four Len?

SC
Old October 9th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default stop you welching sc

On 10/8/06 9:03 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:25:58 +0000 (UTC),

) wrote:

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:16:22 -0700, Don Bowey wrote:
On 10/7/06 10:42 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:28:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Slow Code)
wrote:

stop you welching sc
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

I reported your abuse to this and other boards, to your service provider.
Hopefully they will shut you down.

fukc you inner mouth.
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

stop the foring and iD theft
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

I see you have a new path this time. I sent this one and the routing to the
abuse address, too.