Old October 7th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Check the SWR on your HF antenna's.

Then make a couple CW contacts this weekend.

You'll get up from your rig afterwards and feel pretty good about being a
ham again.

SC
Old October 7th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
Then make a couple CW contacts this weekend.

You'll get up from your rig afterwards and feel pretty good about being a
ham again.

SC

Actually, just make a couple of contacts in any mode. Too many stations
sit unused week after week, month after month...
Old October 7th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

I feel good that Slow Code doesn't have a ham license and is poisoning
the ham bands like he does the newsgroups. What's your call Slow Code?

Old October 7th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:

Slow Code wrote:
Then make a couple CW contacts this weekend.

You'll get up from your rig afterwards and feel pretty good about being a
ham again.

SC

Actually, just make a couple of contacts in any mode. Too many stations
sit unused week after week, month after month...

Top posting is a sign of inexperience. You are probably a newbie on the
net. Go to news.groups and read the FAQ on Usenet etiquette first. After
that, come back here and post properly and I will give you my call.

SC
Old October 7th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code wrote:

SC
Actually, just make a couple of contacts in any mode. Too many stations
sit unused week after week, month after month...

Top posting is a sign of inexperience. You are probably a newbie on the
net. Go to news.groups and read the FAQ on Usenet etiquette first. After
that, come back here and post properly and I will give you my call.

Actually top posting is a sign of *experience*. Us guys that were on the
internet back when it was run by darpa always top posted. That was because
we were running very slow lines, typically 110 to 300 baud, and it was desirable
not to have to wait through the down load of a dozen copies of the same quoted
material as we progressed through a thread. Bottom posting forced everyone on
the newsgroup to fully download every article waisting tons of our very limited
bandwidth and time. Top posting allowed you to get right to the meat of the
article in the first few seconds of downloading... and it allowed you the option
of continuing to footnotes if you really needed to.

You newbies have dozens of ways of trying to impose your will on the group.
Most of your so called rules of etiquette are simply you following the bottom
posting convention that was set up as a default on internet explorer. Rn,
trn, tin, and other premicrosloth news readers defaulted to top posting.

You are so spoiled by high bandwidth and large amounts of memory that you
think that a posting arrives at your machine in its full length instantly..
and for all practical purposes, it does.

I can go either way. I do, however, get very tired of having to scroll through
the same old quoted crap at the top of post after post... just to get to the bottom
and find the highly informative, but typical, "me too" tacked onto the end.

-Chuck

Old October 7th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:28:10 -0400, Chuck Harris wrote:
Slow Code wrote:

SC
Actually, just make a couple of contacts in any mode. Too many stations
sit unused week after week, month after month...

Top posting is a sign of inexperience. You are probably a newbie on the
net. Go to news.groups and read the FAQ on Usenet etiquette first. After
that, come back here and post properly and I will give you my call.

Actually top posting is a sign of *experience*. Us guys that were on the
internet back when it was run by darpa always top posted. That was because
we were running very slow lines, typically 110 to 300 baud, and
it was desirable
not to have to wait through the down load of a dozen copies of the same quoted

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

My bull**** detector just went off real loud. Here is an authoritative
statement about ARPANET from one of Comer's books:

"Initially, most of the leased data circuits in the ARPANET operated
at 56 Kbps, a speed considered extremely fast in 1968 but slow by
current standards." -- Douglas E. Comer, Internetworking with TCP/IP,
Volume One, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall (1995), page 57.

300 baud, my ass! You should have been on a time sharing machine
connected directly to the 56K ARPANET, so don't bother to backpedal by
claiming dialup speeds. (And of course Usenet didn't even begin until
the 80's, shortly after ARPANET had ended.)

Don't try to bull**** someone who has forgotten more about the subject
than you have yet to learn.

SC
Old October 7th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code wrote:
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 10:28:10 -0400, Chuck Harris wrote:

Actually top posting is a sign of *experience*. Us guys that were on the
internet back when it was run by darpa always top posted. That was because
we were running very slow lines, typically 110 to 300 baud, and
it was desirable
not to have to wait through the down load of a dozen copies of the same quoted

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

My bull**** detector just went off real loud. Here is an authoritative
statement about ARPANET from one of Comer's books:

"Initially, most of the leased data circuits in the ARPANET operated
at 56 Kbps, a speed considered extremely fast in 1968 but slow by
current standards." -- Douglas E. Comer, Internetworking with TCP/IP,
Volume One, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall (1995), page 57.

Yep, those were the *backbones* of ARPANET. We had *ONE* at the University
of Maryland back in the 1970s. That leased line cost thousands of dollars
per month, and was paid for by darpa. Compare that to the backbones of today
which are measured in terrabits per second. These 56K backbones were
connected to mainframe computers that acted as concentrators, and provided
connections to other mainframes, and to thousands of users on timesharing
systems. Yes, I have that right, *thousands* of users shared a single 56K
backbone.

Those users that were local to the concentrator (eg, in the computer room)
were connected to the mainframe by various speed RS-232 lines, but those who
were on remote dial up connections were connected by good old bell 103,
110 to 300 baud modems.

300 baud, my ass! You should have been on a time sharing machine
connected directly to the 56K ARPANET,

Yep, we were on timesharing machines, Univac 1106's, 1108's, and 1140's,
and as I said, thousands of users shared a single 56K leased line into
Darpanet. Do the math, if you can't, I'll help you:

56K/1000 = 56 bps.

If there were *only* 1000 users vying for the net at the same time, they
could each pump 56bps into the backbone. But there were many many more
than that, and they weren't always needing the net all of the time.
(hence the name concentrator)

so don't bother to backpedal by

I'm sorry, I don't backpedal for idiots. I don't brake for them either.

claiming dialup speeds. (And of course Usenet didn't even begin until
the 80's, shortly after ARPANET had ended.)

Don't try to bull**** someone who has forgotten more about the subject
than you have yet to learn.

Riiiight! Just because you can look up darpa on a wiki somewhere, doesn't
mean you can understand what you have read.

-Chuck
Old October 7th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default stop you welching sc

On 10/7/06 10:42 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:28:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Slow Code)
wrote:

stop you welching sc
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

I reported your abuse to this and other boards, to your service provider.
Hopefully they will shut you down.

Old October 7th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 10/7/06 10:42 AM, in article
,

wrote:

stop you welching sc
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

I reported your abuse to this and other boards, to your service provider.
Hopefully they will shut you down.

you could just admit to making a mistake but then you can't admit to
error and it would still be a lie since that **** of yours I have
encountered
is you writing on RRAP and other locations

as inded you have that with your gay bashing means you need help you asked
for it robeson

http://www.marksspamblog.blogspot.com/

Old October 7th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

john wrote in
:

I feel good that Slow Code doesn't have a ham license and is poisoning
the ham bands like he does the newsgroups. What's your call Slow Code?

KB9RQZ, and I'm retarded.