Old December 28th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," according to CDC

"Dee Flint" wrote:

Must be unique to your area. None of the young engineers I knew ever had
any interest in "goofing about" with transmitters.

I wouldn't say never... occasionally I get a student who will express an
interest in some of our marine transmission gear, from a technical
standpoint, but I would say 99.99% of the 'interest' in it would be
classified as 'operational use'. In fact, I can only recall 1 person in the
past 3 years who has asked anything technical about the electronics gear.

Old December 28th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
KH6HZ wrote:

I disagree. Now that the code test has been eliminated from amateur
radio, it is my belief that members of the No-Code Agenda will start to
attack the mode itself -- attempt to gather support to re-farm code and
other non-voice mode allocations into voice.

I doubt it. Al the no coders cared about was removing element 1 from the
tests. If some hams want to do a CW net or contest, have at it, have fun.
Just pick a frequency not in use according to band plan.

Europe goes only by band plans and they are not observed or followed during
contests. Do we really want that here?

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 28th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America,"

wrote:

well you would likely have more luck if you avoided staments like the
magic is gone from ham radio

I've never had a student ask me about ham radio, ever.

Nor do I mention it.

Old December 28th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:

like I said you are obvuious not the guy we want as point man

From what I read of your postings in this forum, I think I can safely say
that the majority of US hams feel the same way about you.

Old December 28th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote in
:

One bright light in all this, some of my students will now go for
their license. All colleges now need a program to make amateur radio
known to their students, high schools are not too young to start with

PSU has one, and puts out a pretty fair number of new Hams. It's a very
good idea.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 28th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"KH6HZ" wrote in
:

"John Smith I" wrote:

Like I say, because of past policy and the "damn the bands but save
CW!" crowd, it may be too late to save amateur radio ...

Completely unrelated.

Even if people had gotten licensed decades ago, amateur radio as a
hobby competes with many other things, some of which are much more
technical and rewarding.

What kinda Ham radio do you do Michael? Buy a rig, and pay someone
to install it and put up your tower? Your statement is unusual to say
the least. What hobbies are more technical?

I'm using my Christmas vacation to learn Visual Studio, so that I
can program Ham apps. I build as much of my own equipment as possible,
and find it all intensely rewarding.

Judging from your other posts, I'd guess that you are simply tired
of Amateur radio, and for some reason, you find it interesting to stir
up the ants nest from time to time.

Are you going to allow your license to expire so that the hobby
won't be annoying you any more?

However, one thing is for REAL sure, hams will continue dieing off
like flies--whether we can attract newbies to swell past numbers is
the question of the hour.

It isn't going to happen. Amateur Radio is a hobby of the past, the
same way horseshoes are a hobby of the past.

What interesting and rewarding hobby have you substituted for
Amateur radio?

One bright light in all this, some of my students will now go for
their license. All colleges now need a program to make amateur radio
known to their students, high schools are not too young to start with

None of my students express an interest in ham radio. The code
requirement wasn't a significant barrier to entry for them anyway,
since the tech license would yield all the privileges they require for
working in the GHZ+ bands, where most of their interests (consumer
electronics) lay.

I would expect that. Most IT people, computer support folks, and
programmers (especially) I work with are quite simply not technically
inclined at all.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old December 28th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

One bright light in all this, some of my students will now go for
their license. All colleges now need a program to make amateur radio
known to their students, high schools are not too young to start with

PSU has one, and puts out a pretty fair number of new Hams. It's a very
good idea.

Back 30 years ago, at Syracuse University, the ham club offered to send
Valentine's Day messages to students with boy or girl friends at other
colleges. This was a big hit, made students a little aware of ham
radio, and also was useful come student government club funding time.
Of course, this was before the Internet was commonly known about, and
all there was was snail mail or very expensive long distance phone
calling.
Old December 29th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dave Heil wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:
... ... So true, Ms. Kott...

Let's demand Ms. Kott learn to do calligraphy, make handmade parchment
and operate an old franklin press, before we license her to be a mag's
editor!

"Let's", "we license"? Are you involved in those things, "John"? Is
there a licensing requirement for magazine editors?

Many things in this country have been totally dumbed down. Ms. Kott is
right on the mark. Amateur radio has been being dumbed down over the
past decade or two.

"Dave" are you kidding? Bypassing the military communication school
because you had a ham license was only the beginning of your "dumbing
down."

Then let's see how she feels about "dumbing down."

How do you feel about it? Do you generally find that things are better
after the amount of knowledge required to participate has been reduced?

"Dave," you tell us.

Have you noticed how much better pro basketball has become now that
traveling is not called?

Dave K8MN

Have you noticed how many more Frenchmen you can work on 6 meters when
license priveleges are ignored?

Old December 29th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

What kinda Ham radio do you do Michael?

I'm principally a firmware engineer. My technical work in the hobby consists
of writing, analyzing, and modifying firmware for standalone and linked
repeater networks. I operate 20m SSB/CW, 40/80m CW, and 2m/440 FM.

I'm using my Christmas vacation to learn Visual Studio, so that I
can program Ham apps. I build as much of my own equipment as possible,
and find it all intensely rewarding.

Skip VB.NET and C++, learn C#. Lots of good books on the .NET Framework out
there too. Sams, Sybex, Addison Wesley.

Judging from your other posts, I'd guess that you are simply tired
of Amateur radio, and for some reason, you find it interesting to stir
up the ants nest from time to time.

That's an odd observation, considering I've made perhaps a half-dozen
postings to this newsgroup in the past year, almost all of which deal with
my beliefs as to what will happen to raw licensing numbers as a result of
the Element 1a elimination. Do you somehow feel threatened by my stated
beliefs that the change will have little if any statistical effect on
licensing numbers?

Are you going to allow your license to expire so that the hobby
won't be annoying you any more?

Odd, I do not recall ever stating ham radio annoyed me. Perhaps you have my
postings confused with someone else.

What interesting and rewarding hobby have you substituted for
Amateur radio?

Almost all of my "hobbies" these day revolve around activities and "hobbies"
where I can spend time with my two youngest children.

I would expect that. Most IT people, computer support folks, and
programmers (especially) I work with are quite simply not technically
inclined at all.

You can blame Bill Gates for that.

Old December 29th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:
... ... So true, Ms. Kott...

Let's demand Ms. Kott learn to do calligraphy, make handmade parchment
and operate an old franklin press, before we license her to be a mag's
editor!

"Let's", "we license"? Are you involved in those things, "John"? Is
there a licensing requirement for magazine editors?

Many things in this country have been totally dumbed down. Ms. Kott is
right on the mark. Amateur radio has been being dumbed down over the
past decade or two.

"Dave" are you kidding? Bypassing the military communication school
because you had a ham license was only the beginning of your "dumbing
down."

No, Brian Burke, I'm not kidding. I was permitted to bypass military
tech school because I passed exams which demonstrated that I knew the
relevant material. It was very much like challenging a university
course and it was something long-offered by the Air Force. Weren't you
given such an opportunity?

Then let's see how she feels about "dumbing down."

How do you feel about it? Do you generally find that things are better
after the amount of knowledge required to participate has been reduced?

"Dave," you tell us.

It seems to me that I've done so. Catch up on your reading.

Have you noticed how much better pro basketball has become now that
traveling is not called?

Have you noticed how many more Frenchmen you can work on 6 meters when
license priveleges are ignored?

I've never ignored my license privileges at any time, Brian.

How do you feel about the "new" pro basketball game?

Dave K8MN